Libya - How we won the war

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Father_Famine, Oct 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting quote from the Mistah Presidente, Barak O'Barmy this morning.

"Without putting a single US Serviceman on the ground, we achieved our objectives."

Can't wait to see the US Film about this conflict. Yet another notch on the US Headboard

2. It doesn't suprise me that they are claiming to have won this war, they have won so few wars they have to grab anything they can get, even wars they had little to no involvement in. However, when the movie comes out, I expect in it we shall see the full might of US forces battling Gadaffi in it, with lots of shots of Apachies and Blackhawks flying off into the dusty sunset with cheers of HoooooAaaaaaargh (I am guessing its the yanks version of Allah waaaaakibar) from thousands of delta op type chaps cutting about with beards longer then Bin Ladens whilst wearing stars and stripes bandanna's on their heads.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Obama wont get a look in once the RAF PR Dept go to work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. We were awfully keen in the 60s, I recall multiple attempts at Castro, that chap in the Congo and an homicidal coup in Vietnam.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That must be a lawyerly definition of "US Servicemen" there have been numerous reports of obvious Septics doing targeting for air strikes.

6. "We were awfully keen in the 60s, I recall multiple attempts at Castro, that chap in the Congo and an homicidal coup in Vietnam. "

awfully keen but not overly effective.

7. If there is to be a film made of this campaign, it had better be produced by a British studio. Hollywood sucks canal water through it's back passage and would bugger the story beyond belief. They have a terminal problem recognizing historical fact and substitute for it their own brand of bullshit.

Not that I have a definite opinion, etc. . . .

By the way; the other night I watched Bitter Victory. "Filmed on location in Libya with the kind cooperation of the Ministry of Defence and British Forces." But Kurt Jurgens cast as a Commando major? Oh, please.

8. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

SNIP
    If there is to be a film made of this campaign, it had better be produced by a British studio.
    SNIP

I imagine if the Libyan War ever gets its blockbuster, it will be our friends in Cannes who will be doing the producing.

- French warplanes launched the first airstrike,
    - Dropped the first weapons to the rebels, and
    - (reportedly) hit Gadaffi's convoy.
    - On the political front, Cameron has played second fiddle to Sarko - the first leader tho recognize the TNS.
    - Every US news report that I have read is calling this a Franco-British (rather than Anglo-French) campaign.

If you read non-UK media, you will find that our billing, alas, comes well below the French....

French air power begins, ends NATO campaign over Libya with Sarko's help
    French Air Power Begins, Ends NATO Campaign Over Libya With Sarkozy

French airs strike hits Gadaffi convoy:
    Defense minister says French aerial forces hit Kadafi convoy - latimes.com

NATO operation in Libya "finished" France says
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8840533/Nato-operation-in-Libya-fi

SNIP
    By the way; the other night I watched Bitter Victory. "Filmed on location in Libya with the kind cooperation of the Ministry of Defence and British Forces." But Kurt Jurgens cast as a Commando major? Oh, please.
    SNIP

Alas, I have not seen the motion picture you reference, but there certainly were Jerry Jews in the commandos - not to mention Crapauds, Belgians, Greeks and a whole bunch of other interesting fellows in

9. Does this mean that we also get to make a remake of ICE COLD IN ALEX in original locations???

• Like Like x 1
  10. The US do have a part in this conflict,

There making the Film......

11. I think there is niavity in your comments. The US will produce a film about it without a doubt and it will be orientated to their belief that it was them who did everything and won the war. Yes other people my make a movie about the recent events in Libya, but the yankee doodles will make sure their version makes it as a hit. We saw this in U571.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

This war is historic on two counts
    1) it must be one of the few conflicts the French haven't surrendered in.
    2) Every Yank airstrike appears to have hit the enemy.

Isn't that because France is the U.S.A's new bezzie?
    Obama's anti British retoric ios clear for all to see.
    You only have to see the comments from some of the Spam's on here to see what they think of us in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Let them have the glory we'll take the oil.

Naffi Rules tits arse wank

13. I wonder . . .

Is it possible - between bouts of Septicemic/Francophobic bollix about 'Who gets the credit . . ', we might reflect on the courage, determination and sacrifice of Libyan people, who started this war, and fought it to victory.

They won it.

We helped.

Now for the important bit.

• Like Like x 3
  14. You forget when they bombed the friendly crowd when rescuing the f15 pilot whose plane broke.