Liberal Democrats take Tory stronghold with historic win in Chesham and Amersham by-election shock horror

That used to be the first bit my father checked in the daily paper which, at the time, I thought very morbid. Guess who does similar today? :(
Not far from us (at Clayton) there is a 'natural, Eco Friendly burial ground where your loved ones can lie in harmony with the local environment' (just seems like an excuse to take maintenance fees and not mow the lawns and tend the flowers). Madame mnairb's brother in law is buried there and a few weeks after the funeral she wanted to go there and pay her respects (not me - I couldn't stand the Brit-hating tw@t, but someone had to drive). While she was pottering around his grave, I started mooching around the other graves (as you do). Everyone who was below ground was younger than me! I said 'for christsake lets get out of here, this place is giving me the creeps!'

When is the next GE? I’m guessing May 2025?

I'm going to bet it'll be the end of 2023. That's also the opinion of our ardent Labour type at work, and I think his logic is sound.

Boris will want to capitalize on the CV19 vaccination and BREXIT bonus. But wants to avoid waiting too long due to the chance of loosing that advantage, and having other events screw him over. However, going earlier than that would be a very short period between elections, which may well cause some difficulty.

Wasn't he Secretary of State for Energy or somesuch in. Cameron's Cabinet?
He was one of a number of Lib Dem Cabinet Ministers in the Coalition Government who ended up being knighted in PM Cameron’s Honours List - probably with the assistance of his uber smug Deputy, Clegg.
Who can forget ‘Sir’ Nick Clegg (who I expect was nominated by Cameron rather than himself, but you never know!) and Sir Danny Alexander (who was definitely the best of a bad bunch).
Ironic really - when the Coalition ended because the Conservatives were able to form their own Government after the 2015 General Election, the Lib Dems almost ended up with more Knights of the Realm than MPs!
Tells you all you need to know about the stench within Politics.
The only one still hanging around like a bad smell is Davey, who should be constantly reminded every time he slags off the Government/Boris that he was quite happy to climb into bed with the Conservatives back in 2010 when he sniffed power.
The hypocritical turd.

Last edited:
He was one of a number of Lib Dem Cabinet Ministers in the Coalition Government who ended up being knighted in PM Cameron’s Honours List - probably with the assistance of his uber smug Deputy, Clegg.
Who can forget ‘Sir’ Nick Clegg (who I expect was nominated by Cameron rather than himself, but you never know!) and Sir Danny Alexander (who was definitely the best of a bad bunch).
Ironic really - when the Coalition ended because the Conservatives were able to form their own Government after the 2015 General Election, the Lib Dems almost ended up with more Knights of the Realm than MPs!
Tells you all you need to know about the stench within Politics.
The only one still hanging around like a bad smell is Davey, who should be constantly reminded every time he slags off the Government/Boris that he was quite happy to climb into bed with the Conservatives back in 2010 when he sniffed power.
The hypocritical turd.

If there was a premium on hypocrisy, the Liberal Democrats would be permanently bankrupt!

Not far from us (at Clayton) there is a 'natural, Eco Friendly burial ground where your loved ones can lie in harmony with the local environment' (just seems like an excuse to take maintenance fees and not mow the lawns and tend the flowers). Madame mnairb's brother in law is buried there and a few weeks after the funeral she wanted to go there and pay her respects (not me - I couldn't stand the Brit-hating tw@t, but someone had to drive). While she was pottering around his grave, I started mooching around the other graves (as you do). Everyone who was below ground was younger than me! I said 'for christsake lets get out of here, this place is giving me the creeps!'
Died before their time, vegies, vegans, po faced Guardian readers, TT and users of 'erb ?

Still don’t get why Alexander, Clegg and Davey get knighted for public service... they only got into government by jumping into bed with the Tories.
And Cameron rewarded them with honours.

We are twenty minutes from Amersham and twenty minutes from Chesham. The mrs was born in Amersham and grew up in Chesham - her mother has lived there since 1955.

two big issues:

HS2
Over development and the demise of the green belt.

secondary undercurrent issue in the area is Amersham now sounds like Warsaw and Chesham and it’s two mosques is like Bradford, so mass immigration is undoubtedly a factor

Latest Threads