Liberal Democrats take Tory stronghold with historic win in Chesham and Amersham by-election shock horror

To a point I agree, and yet...

... for me, the first significance is that Labour appears to have completely lost control of the two demographics that swept it to power in 1997; the soft-left and the old industrial heartlands (who whilst not particularly keen on Blair, at that point were still fundamentally loyal to the Red Rosette). Despite this, I'm certain that the hard left who control the Labour Party machine will cling to their broken ideology, convinced that they are right, the voters are wrong and that their day will come.

...the second is that this significant victory has shown the centre-left that by ruthlessly getting behind one of the two left-of-centre parties, they can defeat the Tories, by dividing the vote, they can't. Unless Starmer can get a grip of his hard left (doubtful), I could see a wholesale switch of the soft left vote to the Lib Dems. This in turn may encourage some on the Tory left to desert. However, as I note above, the price the Lib Dems will have to pay for this will be ditching their wackier policies.
We may be witnessing proper tactical voting working in England as it did in Scotland prior to the SNP gaining supremacy. The soft left, who would include myself and other former Conservative voters of a similar mindset, will vote for those most likely to gain a seat. But having electable candidates is a prerequisite for that to happen.

If 11 years of a Conservative government hasn’t sorted out that right wing angst, I’m not sure that voting Lib Dem is the answer.
Fair point, but for the first 5 years they had the Albatross of the Lib Dem Coalition tying their hands behind their backs and then a further 4 years of Brexit shenanigans.
Absolutely no excuse since then, but more like 18 months rather than 11 years!

Troy

LE
Just as I've explained before, this is the result of the Protest Vote. People not too happy with the Tories but don't want to vote Labour.

Today there'll be loads of Voter Remorse as people think; "Shit I didn't actually mean for them to get in!"

Next time around they'll get the Tories back again.

This Protest Vote was exactly how the Lib Dems got enough seats that one time to share a role in Government.

Yep definately the Protest Vote, that taboo subject that politicians are totally in denial about.

Just as I've explained before, this is the result of the Protest Vote. People not too happy with the Tories but don't want to vote Labour.

Today there'll be loads of Voter Remorse as people think; "Shit I didn't actually mean for them to get in!"

Next time around they'll get the Tories back again.

This Protest Vote was exactly how the Lib Dems got enough seats that one time to share a role in Government.

Yep definately the Protest Vote, that taboo subject that politicians are totally in denial about.
Voter remorse, I like it. It's that shit what did we do moment!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
How many of Amersham and Chesham's population are likely to be regular churchgoers? How many of that tiny handful are likely to be of the happy-clappy persuasion?

Even God doesn't go to church in Amersham and Chesham.

Voter remorse, I like it. It's that shit what did we do moment!

Its about having the courage to admit when you have voted for something that actually isn’t that good or what it was sold as.

What a chopper - who on earth advises these Politicians? Reminds me of another embarrassing Political stunt a few years back. Or brother Ed's Tombstone!
Miliband_banana.jpg

Ed Davey.png

Goodness . . . EIGHT pages, already !!

Published by: Tom Slater, Deputy editor, SP!KED, on Friday 18 June 2021.

"The revenge of middle-class Remainia"

Had I told you even five years ago that Hartlepool would soon fall to the Tories and the Tories would soon lose Chesham and Amersham, you’d have asked me what I’d been smoking. But the great realignment of British politics has turned all the old certainties on their head.

The Lib Dems’ remarkable victory in posh, plush Chesham and Amersham is the latest chapter in that story. Just as Boris Johnson sailed to victory in 2019, winning over working-class former Labour voters with his promise to Get Brexit Done, last night we witnessed the revenge of middle-class Remainia.

The upshot of this remarkable realignment we’ve witnessed in recent years is that working-class voters now lean towards the old party of the establishment, while the party founded to represent the labouring masses is the party of students and white-collar metropolitans, with the Lib Dems and Greens nipping at Labour’s heels in some bourgeois, pro-EU areas.

Culture is another key divide. As Rakib Ehsan notes on spiked today, polls show Chesham and Amersham is the polar opposite of Red Wall seats when it comes to cultural attitudes. Now commentators are speculating as to whether what happened to Labour’s Red Wall could happen to the Tory Blue Wall in the Home Counties.

The shifting of the electoral map has brought out very old class antagonisms. On BBC News today, former MP Dominic Grieve said the Chesham and Amersham upset was the work of a ‘pretty sophisticated electorate that knows what a fraudulent prospectus is’ – these are people, he said, who ‘take life a little bit more seriously’ than those who enthusiastically backed Boris Johnson in 2019.

But this is all creating new coalitions and possibilities, too. Whatever happens from here, the old politics really isn’t coming back.

1624038798996.png

On BBC News today, former MP Dominic Grieve said the Chesham and Amersham upset was the work of a ‘pretty sophisticated electorate that knows what a fraudulent prospectus is’ – these are people, he said, who ‘take life a little bit more seriously’ than those who enthusiastically backed Boris Johnson in 2019.
Of course Grieve would say that - implying that a ‘sophisticated, serious’ electorate took back control from the thicko’s that presented Boris a victory back in 2019!
What a sanctimonious prick. It’s that type of smug, know it all behaviour that saw him handed his arse by the electorate in the same year. It’s a By Election, for goodness sake - a protest over local issues.
They never learn do they, the chattering class?
Mind you, I will say that I’m pissed off with the Conservatives too - they can’t afford to take voters for granted down South (or up North for that matter). If Ed Davey and his motley crew is the answer we truly are up sh*t creek without a paddle!

D

Deleted 4482

Goodness . . . EIGHT pages, already !!

Published by: Tom Slater, Deputy editor, SP!KED, on Friday 18 June 2021.

"The revenge of middle-class Remainia"

Had I told you even five years ago that Hartlepool would soon fall to the Tories and the Tories would soon lose Chesham and Amersham, you’d have asked me what I’d been smoking. But the great realignment of British politics has turned all the old certainties on their head.

The Lib Dems’ remarkable victory in posh, plush Chesham and Amersham is the latest chapter in that story. Just as Boris Johnson sailed to victory in 2019, winning over working-class former Labour voters with his promise to Get Brexit Done, last night we witnessed the revenge of middle-class Remainia.

The upshot of this remarkable realignment we’ve witnessed in recent years is that working-class voters now lean towards the old party of the establishment, while the party founded to represent the labouring masses is the party of students and white-collar metropolitans, with the Lib Dems and Greens nipping at Labour’s heels in some bourgeois, pro-EU areas.

Culture is another key divide. As Rakib Ehsan notes on spiked today, polls show Chesham and Amersham is the polar opposite of Red Wall seats when it comes to cultural attitudes. Now commentators are speculating as to whether what happened to Labour’s Red Wall could happen to the Tory Blue Wall in the Home Counties.

The shifting of the electoral map has brought out very old class antagonisms. On BBC News today, former MP Dominic Grieve said the Chesham and Amersham upset was the work of a ‘pretty sophisticated electorate that knows what a fraudulent prospectus is’ – these are people, he said, who ‘take life a little bit more seriously’ than those who enthusiastically backed Boris Johnson in 2019.

But this is all creating new coalitions and possibilities, too. Whatever happens from here, the old politics really isn’t coming back.

View attachment 582575

What is needed is that swarm of travellers that recently descended upon Windsor to pay them a visit.
Araminta might change her voting opinions when certain "real" things actually start to affect her.

They won a seat, Boris still has a large majority. But Brexit is now done and the voters in Durham, and the North West will have one less reason to vote the Tories back in.
The next GE will be interesting but I don’t think most people care about that at the moment.

They won a seat, Boris still has a large majority. But Brexit is now done and the voters in Durham, and the North West will have one less reason to vote the Tories back in.
The next GE will be interesting but I don’t think most people care about that at the moment.
Wrong. Tory success in the HE is fuelled largely by local economic factors, in particular the economic regeneration foundations being laid by Ben Houchen.

Last edited:
HS2 is apparently a big issue, allied with a generally anti Brexit mood, though the latter may be overstated in the commentariat reporting today. Stay at home Tory voters also key, you'd imagine.
That said, the swing to the Liberals is huge. It will be interesting to see what happens in the area at the next GE.
In my mind stay at home voters of any persuasion are far more worthy of the pillory than Brexiteers.

Just wait for Laura Juliet Kuenssberg she will be on steriods tonight.
Prime Minister do you feel you need to consider your position as Leader -yawn!
When the porridge army finally stagger back to the land of the oatmeal ethnics after the England-Scotland fiasco, is it possible that they could take her and Marr back with them?

Latest Threads