Liberal Democrats take Tory stronghold with historic win in Chesham and Amersham by-election shock horror

Don't you even start, she makes the Germans look good with their beach towels!
If there is an issue on Oxford she is all over it, no solution to a problem but hey ho thats the Lib Dims for you.

She is a weapon's grade idiot, who I had the misfortune to meet when she was on the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme.

HS2 is apparently a big issue, allied with a generally anti Brexit mood, though the latter may be overstated in the commentariat reporting today. Stay at home Tory voters also key, you'd imagine.
That said, the swing to the Liberals is huge. It will be interesting to see what happens in the area at the next GE.

Hmm as I said in another thread ...

I'm also wondering if its the traditional conservative's response to the failure of the conservative govt. to stop the tsunami of cross channel illegals and the prompt deportation of same instead of putting them up in 3* & 4* hotels, the fudging of the BBC funding and the apparent fear of reducing the overseas aid budget! All things I have raised with my MP!

I'm also wondering if its the traditional conservative's response to the failure of the conservative govt. to stop the tsunami of cross channel illegals and the prompt deportation of same instead of putting them up in 3* & 4* hotels, the fudging of the BBC funding and the apparent fear of reducing the overseas aid budget! All things I have raised with my MP!

I'm not convinced that was much of an issue in Amersham & Chesham. This was an entitled middle-class revolt against the peasants.

If 11 years of a Conservative government hasn’t sorted out that right wing angst, I’m not sure that voting Lib Dem is the answer.

If 11 years of a Conservative government hasn’t sorted out that right wing angst, I’m not sure that voting Lib Dem is the answer.

But as seen from the figures, a lot didn't bother to vote at all & add that to tactical voting by both former Labour & conservative voters and it could be the cause.

That's a good point. Those issues could easily persuade a Tory voter to stay at home on polling day.

That used to be the first bit my father checked in the daily paper which, at the time, I thought very morbid. Guess who does similar today? :(
Yes, same here check the obits and if I am not mentioned get on with the day. BTW starting to miss the military obits in the DT as the last of the WW2 generation melt away, and the WW1 before them. As Gen Patton said '' We should not morn the deaths of these men (and women) but celebrate that they had lived''.

But as seen from the figures, a lot didn't bother to vote at all & add that to tactical voting by both former Labour & conservative voters and it could be the cause.
Nope, very much a NIMBY vote, have a look at the HS2 route, it is going right through the Constituency.

The snippet below (from All by-election candidates' views on HS2) explains the Labour candidates dire performance.

The Labour Party candidate is the only candidate who hasn’t said they are completely opposed to the project and believes, like the Conservative candidate, that it cannot be stopped.

philc

LE
Much is being mad about the Lib Dem candidate being against HS2, however the Lib Dems support its building wish it to be extended to Scotland, they also wish to establish a UK Housing and Infrastructure Bank to build affordable low emission properties.

I suspect many locals will feel a bit foolish that they have been sold a dud. Should of looked a bit closer at policy.

I predict a very short tenure for the new Lib Dem MP.

I wonder if anyone is asking the people of Amersham why they voted the way they did?

There seems to be too much (educated) guesswork and not enough hard fact.

I wonder if anyone is asking the people of Amersham why they voted the way they did?

There seems to be too much (educated) guesswork and not enough hard fact.
There was a fair bit on Radio 2 yesterday.

She’s a Jo Swinson clone (with a smaller chest), so I guess we can work out her speeches in the months ahead.
She’s wasted no time in slagging off Boris and “his lies” this morning.
She's not the only one getting ripped in to chunky

1624030476112.png

22 postal votes?
Meaning the Silver vote didn't bother, very surprising. Had the misfortune to catch a nano second of the Jeremy Vine show, ghastly Liberal bile whilst perambulating the Market square. They were all a twitter about the big revolt, however as a person of reason said when it matters (next GE) the Blue rosettes will come out and the Lib Dem will toddle off into obscurity.
In the last round of local elections there was some selective culling of the big beasts, our Oxfordshire Leader and a few significant ones in lesser food chains got zapped. Always good to spill a bit of blood it tends to stop them getting lazy and pompous.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Borris boy takes a kicking in Chesham and Amersham.
The Limp Dems will need a bigger mini bus to get to Westminster.

Don't know why they didn't go for the Tory boy, he's obviously sharp as a tack. "Defeated Tory candidate Peter Fleet said: "It's clear that that on this occasion the constituents here in Chesham and Amersham have chosen a different candidate to represent them, to serve as their Member of Parliament."
At least the Conservatives kept their deposit, unlike Labour's offering of stupidity.

Latest Threads