Liberal Democrats take Tory stronghold with historic win in Chesham and Amersham by-election shock horror

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bl00dy hell, 2 years younger than me! No wonder I read the obits every day to see if I'm in it!
That used to be the first bit my father checked in the daily paper which, at the time, I thought very morbid. Guess who does similar today? :(

Unsurprising- the Lib Dems threw the kitchen sink at this By Election. Ed Davey is still a turd.
Most of the MSM will use this as proof that Boris is a busted flush and on his way out. Funny enough, he’s been rather busy of late, whilst Davey has had all the time in the World to concentrate his efforts in Chesham - he’s been there 16 times recently, by his own admission this morning!
Meanwhile, the other story that Labour almost lost their deposit here will be lost in the noise.
Go back to your Constituencies and prepare for Government. =)
View attachment 582393
Up to the announcement of the result, media interest, in particular the BBC, in this by-election has been about zero. BBC will now be in meltdown.

Up to the announcement of the result, media interest, in particular the BBC, in this by-election has been about zero. BBC will now be in meltdown.
Just wait for Laura Juliet Kuenssberg she will be on steriods tonight.
Prime Minister do you feel you need to consider your position as Leader -yawn!

This should probably be something the Lib Dems focus on

Theres a lot of people absolutely Disillusioned with Labour who see no sign of it getting its act together - including some previously in the would vote for a pork pie with the right rosettee camp - who will not vote conservitive because 'Tory Scum' even if voting was mandatory and the other option was the Adolf -Stalin- Genghis -Mao we will eat your 1st born child party.

Currently I see a lot of Labour voters that allow themselves to be swayed by Momentum et al in the run up to an election thet the Libdems are Tory light / soft right*

Lib Dems need to target this demographic - drop all talk of Brexit and effectively try to become the New Labour** party even try to poach some of labours more credible candidates. Labour will then be free to redefine its self as the UK Communist party and as such content itself with winning arguments not elections

*Of course as soon as the results are in and Its not a Labour win - they revert to being left wing in Momentums suubsequent whine about the gov not representing the people
** Thats a new party aimed at what Labour voters want rather than New Labour or New new new labour

Your second para nails it. Ever since the fall of New Labour, the centre left demographic has looked for a banner to rally around. The group described by FF in his excellent post above. But, neither the Lib Dems nor Labour have been able to attract that vote en masse - in fact, they have effectively split it.

At the same time, the Tories have been able to act as an effective rallying point for both the Red Wall and the Centre Right, which has paid off nicely for them in the short term. But only for now.

There is a golden opportunity for the Lib Dems to occupy the centre-left whilst the hard left keeps Starmer muzzled, but only if they can shift some of their sillier baggage, and quickly...

Last edited:
I think the next election will see tactical anti Conservative voting, with a possible Labour/Lib Dem pact in the offing.

The Greens possibly getting involved.
Possibly - sounds just like that Coalition that foiled Brexit back in 2019!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Two issues decided the result. HS2 and, the proposed change to planning regulations

The second one being the most important...hoi polloi housing and, the effect it will have on property prices in Chesham and Amersham. The "Green Belt" only becomes an urgent issue with this lot when, it affects their way of life !

Anyone want to bet against the constituency turning Tory again in a GE ?
Two issues decided the result. HS2 and, the proposed change to planning regulations.

Be interesting to see the future track record of the new Limp Dem MP on these issues?

Two issues decided the result. HS2 and, the proposed change to planning regulations.

Be interesting to see the future track record of the new Limp Dem MP on these issues?
She’s a Jo Swinson clone (with a smaller chest), so I guess we can work out her speeches in the months ahead.
She’s wasted no time in slagging off Boris and “his lies” this morning.

philc

LE
Twitter fact

8 years, 7 months and 3 days since Labour gained a by-election seat.

Your second para nails it. Ever since the fall of New Labour, the centre left demographic has looked for a banner to rally around. The group described by FF in his excellent post above. But, neither the Lib Dems nor Labour have been able to attract that vote en masse - in fact they have effectively split it.

At the same time, the Tories have been able to act as an effective rallying point for both the Red Wall and the Centre Right, which has paid off nicely in the short term. But only for now. There is a golden opportunity for the Lib Dems to act whilst the hard left keeps Starmer muzzled, but only if they can shift some of their sillier baggage, and quickly...
The Liberal Democrats really are the natural party of the comfortable middle class. Especially, the thirtysomething with a penchant for being seen to do good for the fallen and a chance to project virtue to its peers and why I've always characterized them as the Political wing of the BBC.. To see the Conservatives get into bed with the working classes, who all of them so secretly despise is an interesting watch and brexit always had a strong class dynamic to it and wouldn't rule it out as playing a small part in a byelection.

I suppose the lib dem success also raises a problem. Just as labour success in the south generated the same problem which led to its red wall collapse i.e. you can't overly focus everything on a niche demographic and expect to win the big election. The SNP bridged the gap by clearly defining the enemy your asked to vote against and that was England.

Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government. :rofl:

Lid Dem Potential Parliamentary candidates

giphy.gif

Blogg

LE
"Right. Stunning victory an' all that but we must do something really visual and memorable because the plebs are thick and can't do thinking for themselves."

And so......

Twitter fact

8 years, 7 months and 3 days since Labour gained a by-election seat.

Ah yes, but I bet the faithful left say that only strong Tory or Lib dem seats have by elections, etc. etc.

Blogg

LE
Ah yes, but I bet the faithful left say that only strong Tory or Lib dem seats have by elections, etc. etc.

Labour keeping very silent, because absolutely clear where many of those LibDem votes came from.

Labour candidate got 622 votes.

Constituency Labour Party has 600 members. Which suggests there are 22 non members who can't tick the right box or are friends & family of the candidate.

How bad is it for Labour?

2017: got 11,000+ votes

2019: got 7,000+ votes

On any analysis, total trainwreck

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Labour keeping very silent, because absolutely clear where many of those LibDem votes came from.

Labour candidate got 622 votes.

On any analysis, total trainwreck
It absolutely is; however the "bigger story" is that the Tories lost a formerly safe seat. Now STFU and eat your Soylent green.

To be fair, the Tory loss is more unexpected, and more significant.

Latest Threads