"LibDems seek abolition of officer intakes to harmonize ranks"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wm1965, Mar 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Earlier today at the Goldenberg & Strummer left-leaning policy think tank Vince Cable gave a speech titled “The Future of Britain’s Armed forces after 2014”.

He laid out, from a purely party political perspective, the Liberal Democrat vision of the future for Britain’s Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
    One of the most startling suggestions was that the coalition government’s junior partner wishes to do away with the officer class. “We are proposing the streamlining of many facets of Britain’s military capability. High on our list of priorities is the outdated, and to be frank repugnant, idea that some are born better than others. There is no justification whatsoever to allow for instant advancement in the Army for what is ultimately based on the school someone attended or their accent.” This will sound an anathema to many in the forces who have known nothing else but rigidity in ranks for hundreds of years. When questioned by a Canadian journalist how fast he thought it would take a soldier to make a four star general he quipped he wasn't quite sure but would reply in writing.

To howls of applause Mr Cable then went on to speak of reducing dedicated military housing stock which could be merged under a single umbrella with council housing. It is projected this could save 23 millions over the course of the next parliament.

The guy is an utter loon.

EDIT: added link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/fuel/9177931/Cable-Army-future-no-officers.html

2. Link please?

• Like Like x 4
  3. How strange. Googling "LibDems seek abolition of officer intakes to harmonize(sic) ranks", brings me to er, this thread. And nowhere else really. Did you dream it?

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Bite ................

5. Seriously, how hard can it be to grasp the concept of an april fool?

6. Call me a bluff old traditionalist but aren't April Fool gags best served up on 1 Apr???

7. Quite, so it must be a Wah!

8. It's an April Fools a few hours early (I'm in NZ). I posted it a few hours early remember Colonel Blimp:

But you damned young idiot, war starts at midnight! Haven't you been told!

9. OK, so another characteristic of an April Fool's is that you don't use the prefix 'April Fools.'

Always delighted to help.

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Not today, thank you.

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ridiculous Wah!

Not even the Lib Dems would want to bring down the standard of soldier through allowing officer types to join the ranks :)

12. Well, yes - but the OP did actually make it clear in the text that this was an April Fool and yet people are still asking for links!

13. Oh dear, how very Napoleonic of the Limp Dims, a Field Marshals baton in every soldiers knapsack, I don,t think so some how.

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You haven't really been following this thread have you?