Lib Dems - remember them?

I bet they'll hold their votes in a general election, and wouldn't be surprised to see them overtake Labour for votes

Actually winning outright though, I would be genuinely shocked if that happened
As previously discussed, they would have to go from eighteen MP's to more than three hundred literally overnight.
Swinson seems to genuinely believe it will happen.
And they only have that many because of the six turncoats.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Bit of late night lunacy going on, from an old friend in The Labour Party. There’s word of a split. It seems there’s a load of really annoyed people at Corbyn attempting to dump Watson.

NSP

LE
Jo likes him. Not many commenting on her post like her, though...

GoJo.jpg

Mind you, if she shut up about politics I probably would*.

* Rattle her, not shut up about politics.

Last edited:
Comedy gold

Mike Barton

War Hero
Bit of late night lunacy going on, from an old friend in The Labour Party. There’s word of a split. It seems there’s a load of really annoyed people at Corbyn attempting to dump Watson.
I have no time for Watson but he clearly represents a sizable chunk of Labour opinion (no doubt dismissed as Blairites by Momentum) to sack him would be an act of complete idiocy if the Labour Party wants to remain as a big tent party.

It really does seem that Brexit is reshaping the political scene, the Tories move to a more right-wing position while the Labour Party shifts fully to the left.

Swinson might not be as delusional as some of us think, there clearly will be a huge gap opening in the centre for disaffected Tories and Labour voters.

We actually could have a genuine three-way shift in a few years.

NSP

LE
Comedy gold

Hang on - speaking of mandates, the IllibUndems don't have one to go swanning around the EU, either, since they polled 1.9m less votes than TBP and have thirteen less MEPs than Farage's mob.

If anything, TBP hold our mandate in the EU and thus the position is to leave not cancel the whole thing.

Heil Swinson!

Swinson might not be as delusional as some of us think, there clearly will be a huge gap opening in the centre for disaffected Tories and Labour voters.

You are absolutely correct there is a gap opening up for a new centre ground party to fill, but in my humble opinion, Swinson and her motley collection of turncoats, mediocrities and moon howlers is categorically not that party!

You are absolutely correct there is a gap opening up for a new centre ground party to fill, but in my humble opinion, Swinson and her motley collection of turncoats, mediocrities and moon howlers is categorically not that party!
Perhaps the time could be right for a libertarian party

ugly

LE
I'm guessing their defeat at the next GE will be by a much larger margin.
Grand Canyon sized.

That said I do know some hipster types who think Jo Swinson is the only one that talks any sense.
Takes all sorts I suppose.
It may have been suggested that Swinson is really @Brotherton Lad

ugly

LE
As previously discussed, they would have to go from eighteen MP's to more than three hundred literally overnight.
Swinson seems to genuinely believe it will happen.
And they only have that many because of the six turncoats.
My local one resigned the whip as the constituency voted leave. If he gets it why cant the rest of them?

I bet they'll hold their votes in a general election, and wouldn't be surprised to see them overtake Labour for votes

Actually winning outright though, I would be genuinely shocked if that happened
Perhaps the party should be re-named to something more in line with their ambitions, like the Alternative Communist Party?.

Perhaps the time could be right for a libertarian party
In many ways UKIP under Farage was a libertarian party . The problem is the voting system means that a party like that gets marginalised . Even the Lib Dems can't hope for more than being a junior partner in a co-al government

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no time for Watson but he clearly represents a sizable chunk of Labour opinion (no doubt dismissed as Blairites by Momentum) to sack him would be an act of complete idiocy if the Labour Party wants to remain as a big tent party.

It really does seem that Brexit is reshaping the political scene, the Tories move to a more right-wing position while the Labour Party shifts fully to the left.

Labour goes far left, the Tories (God alone knows why) take an even greater lurch to the right. And the Lib Dem’s go straight down the middle. Bringing along disaffected labour and one nation Tories.

The only reason I can think of that the Conservatives would do such a thing is Fararage has convinced them that as well as being noisy and nasty. It’s a sizeable enough electorate to support a more right wing Conservative party.

I asked someone who takes an interest in such things, her. response. ‘ if such a constituency exists, hard brexit, a drug shortage not to mention a hard winter, that’ll thin them out’.

And then she rings me back ‘Oh and if the expats come home to the Eu because of health costs, that’s the housing market buggered and the NHS winter crisis will be a daily event’.*

*I’d just like to point out that neither she nor I may have been entirely serious

Labour goes far left, the Tories (God alone knows why) take an even greater lurch to the right. And the Lib Dem’s go straight down the middle. Bringing along disaffected labour and one nation Tories.

The only reason I can think of that the Conservatives would do such a thing is Fararage has convinced them that as well as being noisy and nasty. It’s a sizeable enough electorate to support a more right wing Conservative party.

I asked someone who takes an interest in such things, her. response. ‘ if such a constituency exists, hard brexit, a drug shortage not to mention a hard winter, that’ll thin them out’.

And then she rings me back ‘Oh and if the expats come home to the Eu because of health costs, that’s the housing market buggered and the NHS winter crisis will be a daily event’.*

*I’d just like to point out that neither she nor I may have been entirely serious
Farage is not far right. He's what was known as a traditional Conservative.

The Tories are center right now, as opposed to be XLW under Theresa May

The political map has been redrawn so much to the left now that Stalin would be XRW today

Latest Threads