Lib.Dems: "America had deceived its closest ally"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2485958/David-Miliband-duped-as-US-official-reveals-terror-prison-on-Diego-Garcia.html

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Four questions:

Yes?
    And?
    So?
    What?

3. I'll make that into one for you.

Who cares?

4. And our glorious Government deceived them by making pacts with the Mahdi Army whilst British and American troops died for the lying motherfuckers. Honestly, let's stop trying to play Greece to America's Rome, admit that the barbarians are already through the gates, whore ourselves to Brussels and grow fat and bored with the rest of the euro-weenies. It can't be any worse...

5. So what? Some terrorists got their comeuppance on a small island most Brits couldn't point to on a map.

We swore blind that no prisoner was ever beaten up at Castlereagh: people in glass houses and all that...

6. Yes, British Law was violated from formal point of view but I guess it is not a big problem itself. So why our American friends fooled their closest allies about such insignificant matters? It is an interesting question. Why not to say openly - yes we did it but will never do it again... maybe.

It's interesting what mr.Davey meant.

7. Sergey, nothing any Lib Dem says is of any importance.

8. Who knows, what if no one party would have clear majoroty in the Commons after the next elections... Though in this case ToryLab coalition would be formed. So indeed you are right.

9. I find it hard to believe the american government would take this as easily if the situation was reversed

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

But that was true.

Besides, its not like we've never kept the Septics in the dark. Kim Philby anyone?

11. my bold, who says they deceived us?

(I do not have any inside knowledge of the situation, I am a thick, ignorant civvie)

12. Castlereagh is was and is British territory. If Catlereagh had been located in, say, The American Virgin Islands (US territory) then the comparison would be valid. This happened on a British Overseas Territory. It is one thing to lie to your allies about what your up to behind your own borders, quite another to tell porkies about what your doing behind theirs!

As I said though, can't say I blame them much.

13. Sergey,

You are making an assumption to this point. How do you say "Plausible Deniability" in Russian?

You are *assuming* that the Brits had no knowledge.

As far as huge breaches in trust... Americans don't hold the patent on that one.

14. Is Ed Davey privy to what goes on behind political closed doors? Does he REALLY know any more that the rest of us?
    Is he in fact a Privy Councillor?

15. The KGB man does a good line in selective quoting from the Torygraph (new world, old skills ??). The last paragraph of story reads

A spokesman for the CIA said: “The CIA has not used Diego Garcia to detain or interrogate terrorists. As the agency noted back in February, two rendition flights made brief refueling stops there more than five years ago. That was information we ourselves found and that we ourselves brought to the attention of the British Government. Those are the facts.

So big deal ........

Far more interesting was the 'fact' in the DT story that

Diego Garcia airbase plays a vital offensive role in the War on Terror. Protected by a continental shelf, it is remote and inaccessible.

These continental shelf things sound very useful in these difficult times - presumably obtainable from IKEA ????