Lib Dem Legitimacy

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by CAARPS, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that the dust has settled and the euphoria has died down:

If Labour did not have the legitimacy to carry on, and going by the middle England outrage on this site (calm down gents or the soon to be slashed NHS will be over-stretched from the off :wink: ), we where almost akin to Zimbabwe.

How is it somehow acceptable that a party with a 3rd of the votes of the outgoing government can command so many policy decisions government posts :?

When they discussed dealing with Labour (a party more aligned with their political views), they where a minority party who had no right propping up an illegitimate bunch of tw*ts :D

However now that they are dealing with another party (the new government) that didn’t win either (a party poles apart from their political views) they are fair minded upholders of democracy :D

Is non-democracy only an issue when it is a certain party not playing fair and as long as the right people are in we can ignore political values :wink:

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It's politics I guess, we still need to hear of what the coalition actually comprises. The alternative was cyclops continuing, a non starter by any stretch of the imagination.

The Lib Dems entire future will depend on their loyalty now they have entered into this coalition. If they behave as they have this week they are finished, if they stand by their commitments, which I expect them to do, then they will do well next time round.

Lets see.

3. I don’t disagree with you on the future of the Lib Dems, however, would your answer of “Its politics” have been so reasonable and philosophical if Clegg had indeed stretched the imagination and gone with the 'devil' :D

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It doesn't bear thinking about, could you imagine Brown still at No10 tonight? Disaster.

5. Nope :D

You raise a very interesting argument/thread and its something I have been thinking about but then saying "Who cares, it went my way!"

6. Is your maths the result of Labour or Conservative education policy?
    6.8m is somewhat more than a third of 8.6m.

7. Now we want to talk about number of voters and not First Past the Post, I wish you f*ckers would make your mind up, had their been a LIB/LAB pact on numbers of voters they would have cmfortably outnumbered the Torys :D

Labour 258 Seats

Lib Dem 57 Seats

(I said votes I meant seats :oops: :oops: ) :D :D

8. :D :D :D

And as a very famous man wrote:

History is written by the victors

9. TBH, Caarps, I don't call 8 seats comfortably outnumbered, but outnumbered I give you.

10. The plain truth is that the Lib Dems command nothing. Cameron has offered them certain concessions for them to join forces with the Tories. Those concessions are Cameron's to give to whomsoever he wants to. There is nothing in our constitution which says that the Government must be made up exclusively of the largest party in the Commons. Cameron could have tried to form a minority Government but instead decided to share his burden (and any blame) with another party on a formal basis, there must have been enough common ground for this to happen. How strong or how lasting that coalition will be remains to be seen but Cameron, if he has offered Clegg the deputy PM job then he has given him a far higher position than I would imagine Brown would have offered. This sounds a good and strong alliance with Clegg standing in at PMQs when Cameron is away, should be interesting!

11. Cameron shouldn't even be in the positon where he has to rely on a party that is commited to stronger ties with The EU.
    By reneging on his 'cast iron guaratee' to hold a referendun on The Lisburn treaty, his party lost marginal seats, due to UKIP taking votes from The Tories.
    So much for 'a strong stable government'

Oh, we're all doomed I tell ya.

12. Now you are just playing with my head :D :D :D

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think the Lib Dems and PR have it all to win or all to loose. If they stand up and be part of a coalition, join in and make things happen rather than head off on party lines on big things like the economy, then we could be in for a real change in politics. If they simply take their ball home when it gets tough then we are in for a new election before Christmas, with LD destined for another 100 years of obscurity.

14. I wonder, who's Back Benchers will be most up in arms about the Coalition details. I assume someone is going to be most vexed of the two, hence they are still keeping the details close to their chests.
    I can't imagine that the average Tory MP would welcome PR, as they are the likely losers in all too many cases.
    At the same time, Tory Euro-scepticism will not sit well with most Lib-Dems, as I understand it.
    All making for some very strange bedfellows indeed!

15. Has there been an election?