Liars.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Panoptes, Jan 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon,

I am in the process of joining the TA and as such I discussed it with a few friends. One of them, who is at the most 17 and 5 month old says hes been in the TA for over a year. Is this possible, and is there anyway I can find out if he's lying?

-PAN

2. msr

msr LE

Ask him for his service number or to see his ID card.

msr

3. I once asked a bloke his service number and it took him more than a minute to recite it. Needles to say it didn't start with 24................

4. no way can he have a years service with thTA and only be 17 and a but years old.

BARRYM

5. Agreed, I did my selection weekend for TA R Sigs on my 17th birthday. At the time I asked if the unit could get me in earlier but those are the rules.

6. more likely a cadet walting.

7. You have to be 17 1/4 years old. That's how old I was when they let me in. I enquired 3 months before my 17th birthday and it was a straight "NO!"

8. 17 3/4 now, due to new rules.

9. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

I think he can start the ball rolling before 17 however will not be allowed to join until the 17.5 year age certainly had a few 16yr olds asking at my old unit and that was the advice given

10. msr

msr LE

17 on the AFCO form and TA Regs (17 1/2 for mans service).... which new rules?

msr

11. OAR, must be 17 3/4 to sign on. Will move to 18 soon according to BRAT team lecture " as we must not recruit child soldiers"... :roll:

I am sure there are some units bending the rules. Just like those units who employ people with student visas, can't wait til the MoD is dragged into court by the BIA.

12. he is almost certainly lying.

however, do the rifles let in buglers at 16 (even the TA)???

i seem to remember the LI did that years back. or am i remenbering it wrong???

13. was that 'buglers' ??

14. You have too be at least 17 so the munchkin is lyin.

15. As a walty Cadet, one of my AI's asked a few favours and I was allowed to train with my local unit for a few months until I hit the required age and joined officially.

This was twenty-odd years ago and it was only a few months. My training was mostly tidying the stores and making the tea. I didn't get paid, but usually got away with a couple of pints in the bar for my trouble.

Sounds like you're mate is talking balls, especially under the current 'Eflfin Safety' regs.