Liars.

#1
Good afternoon,

I am in the process of joining the TA and as such I discussed it with a few friends. One of them, who is at the most 17 and 5 month old says hes been in the TA for over a year. Is this possible, and is there anyway I can find out if he's lying?

-PAN
 
#2
Panoptes said:
Good afternoon,

I am in the process of joining the TA and as such I discussed it with a few friends. One of them, who is at the most 17 and 5 month old says hes been in the TA for over a year. Is this possible, and is there anyway I can find out if he's lying?

-PAN
Ask him for his service number or to see his ID card.

msr
 
#3
I once asked a bloke his service number and it took him more than a minute to recite it. Needles to say it didn't start with 24................
 
#5
no way can he have a years service with the TA and only be 17 and a bit years old.
Agreed, I did my selection weekend for TA R Sigs on my 17th birthday. At the time I asked if the unit could get me in earlier but those are the rules.
 
#6
more likely a cadet walting.
 
#7
You have to be 17 1/4 years old. That's how old I was when they let me in. I enquired 3 months before my 17th birthday and it was a straight "NO!"
 
#9
I think he can start the ball rolling before 17 however will not be allowed to join until the 17.5 year age certainly had a few 16yr olds asking at my old unit and that was the advice given
 
#10
WhiteHorse said:
17 3/4 now, due to new rules.
17 on the AFCO form and TA Regs (17 1/2 for mans service).... which new rules?

msr
 
#11
OAR, must be 17 3/4 to sign on. Will move to 18 soon according to BRAT team lecture " as we must not recruit child soldiers"... :roll:

I am sure there are some units bending the rules. Just like those units who employ people with student visas, can't wait til the MoD is dragged into court by the BIA.
 
#12
he is almost certainly lying.

however, do the rifles let in buglers at 16 (even the TA)???

i seem to remember the LI did that years back. or am i remenbering it wrong???
 
#13
hemingway said:
he is almost certainly lying.

however, do the rifles let in buglers at 16 (even the TA)???

i seem to remember the LI did that years back. or am i remenbering it wrong???
was that 'buglers' ??
 
#15
As a walty Cadet, one of my AI's asked a few favours and I was allowed to train with my local unit for a few months until I hit the required age and joined officially.

This was twenty-odd years ago and it was only a few months. My training was mostly tidying the stores and making the tea. I didn't get paid, but usually got away with a couple of pints in the bar for my trouble.

Sounds like you're mate is talking balls, especially under the current 'Eflfin Safety' regs.
 
#16
MrTracey said:
hemingway said:
he is almost certainly lying.

however, do the rifles let in buglers at 16 (even the TA)???

i seem to remember the LI did that years back. or am i remenbering it wrong???
was that 'buglers' ??
I think I've seen its 16 for musicians (drummers & buglers?)
 
#17
MrTracey said:
hemingway said:
he is almost certainly lying.

however, do the rifles let in buglers at 16 (even the TA)???

i seem to remember the LI did that years back. or am i remenbering it wrong???
was that 'buglers' ??
yes.

i could be wrong, but i remember 16. like i said, i could be wrong.

Cede Nullis/
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#18
Interesting, the 'join at 16' bit. The 'bible' (\TA Regs) is clear. People can join the TA:

(1) Applicants aged 17½ or over, as adult soldiers.

(2) Applicants between the ages of 17 and 17½ as young soldiers.


There may be odd rules for Buglers, but probably not in TA Regs.
 
#19
OldSnowy said:
Interesting, the 'join at 16' bit. The 'bible' (\TA Regs) is clear. People can join the TA:

(1) Applicants aged 17½ or over, as adult soldiers.

(2) Applicants between the ages of 17 and 17½ as young soldiers.


There may be odd rules for Buglers, but probably not in TA Regs.
Young Soldiers? Are you sure, I thought they went out around 2000?
 
#20
perhaps The_Iron might know.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top