Liabour voters not even registering to vote

Op RUSTY VOTE anyone?

Missing voters blow for Labour

Drop in registered electorate hits seats held by ministers

David Hencke, Westminster correspondent
Thursday March 24, 2005
The Guardian

Tens of thousands of potential voters have failed to register their right to vote in time for an expected May 5 general election. The vanishing voters, who appear to have gone missing disproportionately in Labour-held seats, are revealed in government figures and a report by MPs today.

There has been a countrywide drop in voter registration in the runup to the election, compared to the numbers who registered to vote in 2001 when Tony Blair was returned with a second landslide majority.

The findings, compiled from returns by electoral registration officials for the Office for National Statistics, are backed by a report by two parliamentary committees which says that registration is in "decline in all cases".
The most alarming finding for Labour comes in a submission to the Commons constitutional affairs and local government and regions committees from Clive Betts, Labour MP for Sheffield Attercliffe, after interviewing the city's electoral registration officer, Eirwen Eves.

He found that one in five households had failed to register to vote across the city, but the figures were disproportionately worse in inner city Labour seats. Nearly 90% have registered in affluent Totley and Dore, while only 56% have registered in Burngreave ward, part of the Sheffield Central constituency of sports minister Richard Caborn.

The MPs conclude: "When the widespread expectation of a general election is taken into account, a factor which is usually taken to boost registration by making it seem more relevant to the voter, the latest figures are more disturbing."

The figures from the ONS show a dramatic difference in seats across the country between 2001 and 2005. In the bellwether seat of Basildon in Essex - which signalled that Labour had lost in 1992 - the number of electors is down by 2,000 from 2001.

Other seats affected include Bolton West, the seat of education secretary Ruth Kelly, where the electorate has dropped by 3,300; Enfield Southgate, the seat of education minister Stephen Twigg, down 3,000; and Norwich South, the seat of home secretary Charles Clarke, also down 3,000. An exception is Tony Blair's Sedgefield seat, where the electorate has risen by around 2,000.

Most Tory seats record increases, though there are exceptions including marginal Altrincham and Sale, and Michael Howard's seat in Folkestone which is down by 2,300.

The report concludes that changes must be made, possibly by switching to individual registration rather than entire households. It also calls for a national register of electors available only for election purposes and an individual identification number for all electors.

The Conservative constitutional affairs spokesman, Oliver Heald, said postal voting "in last June's all-postal pilot schemes and in Birmingham, has highlighted the inadequacy of the current electoral roll. It is vital that we move ahead with the Northern Ireland system of individual electoral registration to safeguard the integrity of the Britain's electoral system".

Maybe its all conspiring to mean Labour wont go to the polls this year. A change of PM to that miserable theiving Jock and election next year? Or are they already committed?

The apathy out here has to be seen to be believed.

Talibanistan Minor Dui.

Actually , not strictly true, the Muslims are getting their people out to vote. I see an increase in the number of votes for '' Stone the whore she's wearing lipstick and the only good Indian is a dead Indian, get out of Kashmir, Bhangra monkeys'' type Islamic parties. Everyone else is just totally apathetic, and resigned to 4 more years of Blur.

I noticed this piece in the news item:-

Other seats affected include Bolton West, the seat of education secretary Ruth Kelly, where the electorate has dropped by 3,300; Enfield Southgate, the seat of education minister Stephen Twigg, down 3,000; and Norwich South, the seat of home secretary Charles Clarke, also down 3,000. An exception is Tony Blair's Sedgefield seat, where the electorate has risen by around 2,000.

Risen by 2,000?

I seem to recall mention, some time ago, of a pub in the Sedgefield district, where it was proposed that overseas ARRSE members might register as voters? :wink:

PartTimePongo said:
Talibanistan Minor Dui.

Actually , not strictly true, the Muslims are getting their people out to vote.
Surely they won't have to go to all the effort of actually going out to vote? Won't some helpful local Neue Arbeit workers be assisting them with their postal votes this time?

I wouldn't believe they could be that stupid. But in certain areas around here, English is the 3rd language, and I can hear the excuse 'We had to file that families vote for them, because they don't understand the ballot paper. Oh they voted Labour? What a happy co-incidence"

Yes another pet rant. If you haven't bothered to learn enough English to put a tick in the box, why are we giving you the right to vote? I don't give a tupenny damn where you are from, if you can't speak some degree of English, you can't vote. Ende.

PTP wrote

"If you haven't bothered to learn enough English to put a tick in the box, why are we giving you the right to vote? I don't give a tupenny damn where you are from, if you can't speak some degree of English, you can't vote."

Well said that man!
You get my vote, erm tick, oh whatever!

From the Spectator. www.spectator.co.uk
Registration required.

Labour’s stolen votes
Rod Liddle

At one o’clock in the morning of 9 June last year, two days before the local council elections, Police Sergeant John Rattenberry of Erdington police station, Birmingham, was called to investigate something strange going on inside a warehouse. Here’s what he witnessed, in his own words:

‘I entered the first floor of the warehouse and went into a room where I saw approximately five Asian males along with four police officers. I could see a large table on which there were a lot of miscellaneous papers and A5 unsealed envelopes. I could see that the envelopes contained several pieces of paper including marked ballot papers. I was informed by a Mr Zulfikar Khan, who identified himself as a Labour councillor, that the numbers on these documents were being matched up and that there was nothing wrong with what they were doing.’

Sergeant Rattenberry mulled this over for a bit and decided he wasn’t so sure. The transcript above comes from his appearance before an election court in Birmingham, which is investigating alleged systematic electoral fraud perpetrated by the Labour party on what we might call an industrial scale. It is alleged that of the 7,000 postal votes cast in Bordesley Green ward, some 3,000 were stolen or altered or falsified: Labour subsequently or consequently won all three seats.

Judge Richard Mawrey QC heard the last of the evidence this week and has already denounced the postal system as an ‘open invitation to fraud’. He will deliver his judgment on 4 April: six Labour councillors from two wards in the city could be disbarred and the elections deemed null and void. The court was convened through a petition from four local electors and has heard tell of residents bribed or threatened with knee-cappings to hand over their ballot papers; on two occasions Royal Mail postmen were at first offered bribes and then threatened with violence to part with their sacks of ballot papers, which they refused to do. ‘There were a lot of other unsubstantiated incidents as well,’ a Royal Mail spokesman told me. There have been reports of thugs in balaclavas, letterboxes and postboxes set on fire, sundry intimidations. Three ‘unexplained’ ballot boxes containing 300 papers turned up late at the count on election night in Bordesley Green. Elsewhere within the city, there were stories of ballot papers being dragged from safe houses to the count in black plastic binliners.

The most fun, though, has been the story of the five Asian men — at least two of whom were indeed prospective and now sitting Labour councillors — found in a warehouse with 300 or so ballot papers spread out on the table before them at one o’clock in the morning two days before the poll. Sergeant Rattenberry ordered that an immediate dip sample vote be taken, there and then, and charged two of his officers with the task of contacting the name on the sample ballot paper. It may be that the court concludes that the police were a little naive, to judge from what happened next:

Mawrey: Did you warn this chap you were going round or did you bang on his door at 1.30 in the morning and say, ‘Is this your vote?’

Policeman: Unfortunately, sir, that is what I was directed to do.

Mawrey: I am just anxious to get a flavour of it. So, you go round to this address, you knock on the door. Did you get any impression that the person who answered the door was expecting you?

Policeman: He would not have been expecting me, I would not have thought.

Mawrey: Unless of course somebody phoned him saying, ‘By the way, the police are coming round to see you.’

Policeman: He was up. I remember that.

Mawrey: Fully dressed?

Policeman: Yes.

Or even worse than naive: perhaps even dilatory. When the complaints flooded in after election night, West Midlands Police wearily set about ‘investigating’ the business. You may choose to judge their commitment to the process, and their view of the complainants, by the official name they gave the inquiry: Operation Gripe. In fact, perhaps the most worrying thing, aside from the threatened knee-cappings and so on, is the apparent level of obstruction placed in the way of those who have attempted to investigate past misdemeanours and prevent them happening again this May.
Article continues.

It may be unkind, but I do sometimes wonder where West Midlands Police loyalties lie.

At the Hodge Hill count, I was instructed to 'Get a grip of my people' because they were holding up placards and generally in high spirits. This while Labour Party workers were drowning out the Lib Dems candidate by phoning each other on cellphones (A reference to her day job and controversy over phone masts) tha Police did fcuk all to curb the abusive language and general mayhem from Labour Party workers, but made damn sure that Lib Dems were told to get back in their box at regular intervals.

The Old Bill need to sort it out, here's an incentive, start doing your bloody jobs instead of whining about investigating voting fraud, and you may get a Political party in, that will actually give you the funding you need, as opposed to talking about it.