LHR flights diverted at request of the RAF

Today apparently the RAF were requesting a clear airspace thus LHR are having to divert or stack up flights. Initial glance ones first thoughts are return of the drones, or maybe one of Brize’s finest needed to land double quick.

think it’s back to normality now.

cheers

"
A Heathrow spokesperson told Mirror Online: “Arrivals were paused briefly this morning due to an RAF request for an operational flight within part of Heathrow’s airspace.

"Arrivals are now operating as normal.”

The RAF said: “The RAF can confirm that a flight was completed this morning by one of our assets from RAF Northolt, this flight was coordinated with Heathrow ATC but had to extend by a few minutes to complete its sortie.

"The minor delays caused to civilian air traffic are regretted.”"

Northolt has small choppers and 146's odd...

Ritch

LE
Today apparently the RAF were requesting a clear airspace thus LHR are having to divert or stack up flights. Initial glance ones first thoughts are return of the drones, or maybe one of Brize’s finest needed to land double quick.

think it’s back to normality now.

cheers
There's rumours flying round that it was a USAF asset in quite a lot of trouble.

There's rumours flying round that it was a USAF asset in quite a lot of trouble.
trump was on board and they'd run out of colouring books?

Was it Harry and Meghan's MFO boxes being flown out to Canada?

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
"
A Heathrow spokesperson told Mirror Online: “Arrivals were paused briefly this morning due to an RAF request for an operational flight within part of Heathrow’s airspace.

The RAF said: “The RAF can confirm that a flight was completed this morning by one of our assets from RAF Northolt, this flight was coordinated with Heathrow ATC but had to extend by a few minutes to complete its sortie.

RAF.........."small choppers".........fnaar fnar................................had to be said :rolleyes:

"A Heathrow spokesperson told Mirror Online: “Arrivals were paused briefly this morning due to an RAF request for an operational flight within part of Heathrow’s airspace.

The RAF said: “The RAF can confirm that a flight was completed this morning by one of our assets from RAF Northolt, this flight was coordinated with Heathrow ATC but had to extend by a few minutes to complete its sortie".

An RAF spokesman said: "The RAF can confirm that a flight was completed this morning by one of our assets from RAF Northolt . . .".

As RAF Northolt is where the The Queen's Helicopter Flight (TQHF), is based . . . was it a Royal that was been moved ?!

Where is/how is the DoE today ?! :( .

Alternatively, did a Minister need to go somewhere rather quickly ?!
Royal Air Force VIP Voyager
In November 2015, it was announced the government would fit VIP seating to a Royal Air Force Airbus Voyager A332 aircraft for use for carrying the prime minister, government officials and members of the Royal Family.[12] The Voyager refit and operation will cost £10 million which is believed will save £775,000 a year on the cost of Downing Street flights as charter flights will no longer be necessary. The new arrangement is expected to cost around £2,000 per flying hour as opposed to £6,700 for long-haul charter. The refit will include a secure satellite communications system, missile detection and 158 passenger seats. The aircraft will retain the Royal Air Force livery and continue its primary duties refuelling when not in use by the government.[13]

VIP Voyager? What was wrong with strapping a caravan in the back? Maybe one of those twin axle chrome pikey jobs for a bit more class.

One of the very large RAF jobs passed over my house(near York)going south at about 0900, Freedar showed it at 15k feet, reason I noticed it was firstly the noise and secondly how low it was, I didn't actually see it because of the cloud.
edited to add:
C17 Globemaster.

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of when (allegedly) DELTA FORCE! flew into Akrotiri one night in the mid eighties. In order for it to be a secret, shortly before they arrived they had the MPs drive around all the beach clubs between 10 Port and Ladies Mile telling everyone to bugger off. Then all the lighting around the runway was shut down.

A Starlifter landing (even without nav-lights) is quite noisy, and once on the ground it's quite hard to hide when daylight arrives. But, even so, its presence on a military airfield wouldn't have seemed particularly remarkable if it hadn't been for all the bollox the night before.

Reminds me a bit of when (allegedly) DELTA FORCE! flew into Akrotiri one night in the mid eighties. In order for it to be a secret, shortly before they arrived they had the MPs drive around all the beach clubs between 10 Port and Ladies Mile telling everyone to bugger off. Then all the lighting around the runway was shut down.

A Starlifter landing (even without nav-lights) is quite noisy, and once on the ground it's quite hard to hide when daylight arrives. But, even so, its presence on a military airfield wouldn't have seemed particularly remarkable if it hadn't been for all the bollox the night before.
I was based in Akrotiri then. Once it buggered off again to points unknown, the amount of kit , including munitions, left on the apron was a cause of some concern.

I was based in Akrotiri then. Once it buggered off again to points unknown, the amount of kit , including munitions, left on the apron was a cause of some concern.
Rumours were rife as to what they had picked up which made them overloaded, hence the gear they dumped.

Rumours were rife as to what they had picked up which made them overloaded, hence the gear they dumped.
They picked up a couple of RAF movers who then confiscated the feck out of everything...zippos, Lynx Africa...anything potentially hazardouis to a flight carrying personnel and munitions!