LH rifle options in .270win

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Jul 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Due to my lads physical handicap of being left handed, my rifles for normal people are not ideal over the long term, so I need to get him his own LH bolt action and his FAC is due to arrive imminently.
    He will also be shooting in France so military calibres like .308 and 6.5 Swede are out, .270win is what I use and therefore makes sense.
    As there is less than no chance of finding something secondhand in .270win LH, I am prepared to bite the bullet and get him something new.
    Research so far has all pointed at a Tikka T3 (he wants wood rather than synthetic), £825 from SportsmanGunCenter.
    Anyone own one of these or have any other suggestions?

2. They are phenomenally accurate, especially with the heavier 150gr rounds (Norma and Sako).

For the money you will struggle to find a better one. For a touch more a S/H Sauer 202 would be my choice.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Cannot find anything used in LH .270win, if anyone hears of anything somewhere in the next week the info would be gratefully received..

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looks great, one of my favorite rifles!
    I've been looking for months, how did you trawl that up so quick?

I'll call them tomorrow, many thanks mate!

5. Just phoned around. Good luck with it.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Just spoke to York Guns (they are closed Mondays), it sounds very tidy and is now reserved for my son.
    I'm jealous.

Thanks to OM and his trade contacts!

7. Great news! Take extra pennies as they often have some mint secondhand S&B scopes in stock. The alternative of course if to give the lad your current rifle ;-)

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My .270w is a Mannlicher RH mountain rifle with a pronounced Monte Carlo. He put 30 rds through it a couple of weeks ago - good groups all 5cms left at 50mtrs, and it looks spastic operating a bolt on the "wrong" side ;-)
    He likes S & B scopes ever since Ugly let him play with one.....could be an expensive month....

• Like Like x 1
  9. eGun have a section for "linksschuetzen" which it may be worth keeping an eye on, just follow the link thingy.

I sold a carbine to a Spaniard over eGun, all very painless surprisingly with the paperwork. No drama queen firearms officers here!

7x64mm is a very popular round with the soap shy chasseur, and despite Nazi development of a sniper rifle for the round, it never saw military service. You may find a greater range of ammo is available for that than for 270 Win!

I can highly recommend 7x64, fast, flat traj and hard hitting it certainly does the business for me.

eGun

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Have done a few deals on there, not bad, but no Ebay style backup if you have a problem.

I love the .270 for stalking, and the only problem I have is finding a good low power 130gn load - 150gn works well even down 30%, but still to much meat damage on Roe.
    7x64 is good but on my short list for an express calibre is 8x57 and 9.3x74R

11. Have a go at 55gr of H4831sc and a 130gr Nosler Partition. Relatively gentle. I have a 7mm-08 and go very heavy for woodland roe (160gr plus).

8x57JRS is my next calibre, hopefully out of a Sauer 202 Take-Down.

12. 8x57 was a military calibre and is surely banned in France, or have they taken it off the list now?

I've tried all the 9.3s out. .375 H&H is my preffered fat lump launcher, the calibre is also approved by the African states (except for big 5 game) and the ammo is readily available everywhere, neither of which is true of 9.3x74.

13. Am I right in saying that 9.3x64 is approved in Namibia?