LGV questions

Gents,

Just after a bit of advice. I've decided to go for a bit of a career change. I passed my Cat C licence back in 1990 and have been driving with the army worldwide until I retired earlier this year on and off as not RLC.

I've applied for and got my Digi Tach card and class 2 licence already, but need advice on the other items below before going on training to get then. I understand about C+E and will be going for that, but in addition could anyone give me advice on the following:

1. CPC - now I understand I will fall into the Periodic bracket, but do I need to have my CPC certificate before I can drive HGVs on the UK/European roads? If so, I'll include in my training schedule. I also fancy doing some long distance work internationally, therefore does the CPC cover Europe as well?

2. ADR - I live on the M4 corridor between Swindon and Bristol and have fuel depots close by (avonmouth). Is the ADR once you have it ok for all hazmat/petroleum or do you need additional licences?

I'm not after mahoosive wages and would be happy with around 25k per year, is this achievable? I have my army pension so that always helps out. I've been working in Iraq since the start of the year in security and have a 12 month visa for that place but am fed up of that and not really interested in my main mil trade of admin/HR.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Gents,

Just after a bit of advice. I've decided to go for a bit of a career change. I passed my Cat C licence back in 1990 and have been driving with the army worldwide until I retired earlier this year on and off as not RLC.

I've applied for and got my Digi Tach card and class 2 licence already, but need advice on the other items below before going on training to get then. I understand about C+E and will be going for that, but in addition could anyone give me advice on the following:

1. CPC - now I understand I will fall into the Periodic bracket, but do I need to have my CPC certificate before I can drive HGVs on the UK/European roads? If so, I'll include in my training schedule. I also fancy doing some long distance work internationally, therefore does the CPC cover Europe as well?

2. ADR - I live on the M4 corridor between Swindon and Bristol and have fuel depots close by (avonmouth). Is the ADR once you have it ok for all hazmat/petroleum or do you need additional licences?

I'm not after mahoosive wages and would be happy with around 25k per year, is this achievable? I have my army pension so that always helps out. I've been working in Iraq since the start of the year in security and have a 12 month visa for that place but am fed up of that and not really interested in my main mil trade of admin/HR.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
DCPC must be completed before Sept 2014 for LGV drivers, without it you will not be able to work as a LGV driver.

ADR, Would depend on the course you undertook, you've got both Tanks and Packaging , plus the various classes - please note that Class 1 – Explosives and Class 7 – Radioactive's are generally run as separate modules and not included in the typical ADR training.

You should be looking at 5 day courses to get both T & P, but on the upside, that should give you 21 hours towards your DCPC.

The other thing to bare in mind is that a lot of firms are getting funny about who they take on. Some are insisting on things like "must have 180 days driving experience over the last 2 years" so make sure you bluff them if that's not the case.

The other thing to bare in mind is that a lot of firms are getting funny about who they take on. Some are insisting on things like "must have 180 days driving experience over the last 2 years" so make sure you bluff them if that's not the case.
That's a standard clause for Driving agencies due to drivers negligence insurance requirements

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Army Reserve 5
S Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4
OldSnowy The Intelligence Cell 5