LGBT Poppies?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
nope, a civvie is a person who's never had the delights of a military life.
You are starting to sound like those sad ex officers who continue to place their rank on correspondence and like to be known as "Major" or "Colonel" or in your case 'Lance Corporal" ;)

You are starting to sound like those sad ex officers who continue to place their rank on correspondence and like to be known as "Major" or "Colonel" or in your case 'Lance Corporal" ;)
Don't do rank.

But I'll never be a stinking civvie again.

I wear my veteran badge with pride, on my mess dress at reserve functions :rofl:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't do rank.

But I'll never be a stinking civvie again.

I wear my veteran badge with pride, on my mess dress at reserve functions :rofl:
As do I with my one bit of bling, but I hold no aspirations to being anything other than a civvie, albeit one with a wee bit of military service behind him. My rank now is Mr.

I hope some gays in the Army start wearing the rainbow poppy and some blacks wear this.

Just because I want to see VSOs struggle to decde whether they should only wear the Red poppy or that in this modern and diverse world that we live in, that they should "support" minorities as well.

It’s that time of year again, the Guardian picks one writer to cobble together an article knocking Remembrance Sunday, this year it’s Polly. Seems she thinks The whole thing should be kicked in to touch.

That's the ticket, Pols.

Let's ban Xmas, Eid and Ramadan as well. Who needs all that old-time mythical/historic bullshit from centuries ago, eh?

So, the question is, was subject of gay soldiers ever taught to any of you?
No, But neither was the restriction on Gays.

So any one of my generation probably never thought about it and wouldn't consider the poppy as including or excluding any group.

Its funny - we didn't know or care - which is (or at least was) the stated end point of the various equal rights groups - yet today we are branded as nasty racist homophobic gammons etc because we should care and acknowledge they are different as not caring and recognising this = tacitly condoning discrimination.

Well that's my ghast truly flabbered. I never knew there was a Scottish poppy design. Everyday's a school day.

Thought it was a Chinese knock off.
Apparently in the post First World War years demand was so great, they set up workshops in Scotland under the Lady Haig Fund to supply Scotland, rather than sending them up by rail from England. Ours doesn't have the leaf, and the petals are different, but the charity solely exists to support the RBL campaign.

Apparently in the post First World War years demand was so great, they set up workshops in Scotland under the Lady Haig Fund to supply Scotland, rather than sending them up by rail from England. Ours doesn't have the leaf, and the petals are different, but the charity solely exists to support the RBL campaign.
Their home page seem to suggest it only helps those in jock land

As well as street collections there is a whole host of activity aimed at raising as much money as possible. Money raised during the Scottish Poppy Appeal is used to provide vital life-changing support to the Armed Forces community living in Scotland.

Dredd

LE
@Slime When I got sent to boarding school, there was subjects like Latin and Greek, and one of the things one had to do was translate classic epics like Homers Illiad where Achilles had a dear friend called Patroklos who got killed by Hektor who was killed in turn by Achilles. The relationship between Achilles and Patroklos was never in doubt shall we say and that's was about as close to the topic of homosexual soldiers as we got.
And the Sacred Band?

Edit - remove a previous post draft

Last edited:

Chef

LE
I wonder what the reaction would be if wearing a badge to identify your tendencies, sexual or otherwise became mandatory?

View attachment 428541

That's all well and good, but what about all the other Regiments and Units?
What do you mean, "behind them always" is the motto of the current Poppy Scotland™ campaign, nothing to do with any regiment or unit. Popy Scotland used to be the Lady Haig organisation before that the Earl Haig Fund, they have done poppy sales for the RBL's campaign here for about a century.

My Granddad (Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine then Western Front with the HLI) though an old school Nationalist (Tartan Tory) would not wear a poppy Scotland Poppy as it had Haig's name on it.

Last edited:

Dredd

LE
The truth is it didn't matter during the war or afterwards, it only seems to matter an awful lot now...when it is being rammed in front of our faces almost daily.
It must come as a source of endless frustration and rage for these "campaigners" to discover that us old salts seem far more tolerant and accepting than they pre-judged us to be. The search for a 'cause' becomes more and more desperate every time "but what about . . . " is met with "don't have a problem with it really" and the real reason starts to emerge - it is simply the intense desire to be different so they can feel oppressed. What a sad existence.

That is not to say that there is not sexual prejudice, or any other forms of prejudice, out there in the big bad scary real world. But it isn't as bad as it is being portrayed. Some people have little scope for understanding just how fortunate they are to be living in this particular part of the planet.

Their home page seem to suggest it only helps those in jock land

As well as street collections there is a whole host of activity aimed at raising as much money as possible. Money raised during the Scottish Poppy Appeal is used to provide vital life-changing support to the Armed Forces community living in Scotland.

From the FAQ. You are right. It doesn't say only Scots living in Scotland though. I know a few non Scots or new Scots living here.
PoppyScotland said:
]
Where does the money go?
Poppyscotland uses money raised to provide support to the Armed Forces community in seven key areas: Tailored support and funding, Advice, Employment, Mobility, Respite, Housing and Mental health. You can find out more about each of these areas by clicking here. All money raised in Scotland is spent in Scotland.
Why is there a separate charity running the Poppy Appeal in Scotland?
From its inception the Scottish Poppy Appeal has always operated independently from The Royal British Legion’s (TRBL) appeal in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. However, in June 2011 Poppyscotland merged with TRBL to create the largest charity group supporting the Armed Forces community across the whole of the UK. Poppyscotland continues to operate as a distinct charity within the TRBL group and continues to run the Scottish Poppy Appeal. Working collaboratively with TRBL, Poppyscotland ensures that the Armed Forces community in Scotland receives the same level of support as the rest of the UK. You can find out more about our history

Dredd

LE
I wonder what the reaction would be if wearing a badge to identify your tendencies, sexual or otherwise became mandatory?
Think it has been tried before.

Ended badly for all concerned, if I remember correctly.

Camp Badges.jpg

Latest Threads