LGBT Poppies?

We've got...
White - for Peace.
Purple - for animals killed in war, but now in experiments too.
Black - for the efforts of Black, African and Caribbean soldiers.
and Khadi - for those soldiers of Asia.
… poppies, there will now be a rainbow one. For the LGBTQ community. Personally, I always thought the red one sufficed for everyone but each to his own. Full disclosure, I think these new fangled 'cap badge jewelry' ones look daft. Paper has sufficed so far, I see no reason it wont in the future.

But it was this that got my attention the most. Peter Tatchell.

Mr Tatchell told Yahoo News UK: “On Remembrance Sunday it is quite right that we honour all those who fought for freedom against the Nazis and other tyrannies, including black and LGBT+ military personnel.

“An estimated 200,000 LGBT+ soldiers, sailors and served during the Second World War in the fight against German and Japanese fascism.

“For decades the Royal British Legion refused to acknowledge that any LGBT+ people risked and gave their lives to defend democracy.

"Wreaths in their memory were removed and vandalised. LGBT+ veterans were refused permission to march in the Remembrance Day parade.

“On Remembrance Sunday, I will be joining a gay veteran to lay a pink triangle poppy wreath at the Cenotaph. Like thousands of others, he was jailed and booted out of the armed forces for no other reason than his sexuality.

“The military has a shameful record of homophobic witch-hunts and should make a public apology to the personnel they mistreated.“
I don't recall the RBL ever not acknowledging people who risked and gave their lives to defend democracy. Shamefully wreaths (even memorials) have been removed and vandalised in many towns, not to mention them being used for toilets. Have any veterans been refused permission to march? As in officially, not because they turned up on the day with no notice or something.

I've seen lads rock up at a remembrance day and be allowed to march with nothing more than a blazer, beret and a couple of medals, no questions asked. So I don't get why folk would be turned away.

Anyone cast any light on this?

The red poppy encompasses everyone, there should only be a need for the red one for humans. This is just look at me I am different signalling and is not necessary.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
What’s the rainbow poppy for?

To remember all those ring pieces destroyed in the heat of lust?

All our fallen brothers who died of bad AIDs?

Or the death of morales and decency in Britain?

Fake Sheikh

Old-Salt
Oh look at me I'm special, i'm LGBT.
1573117209418.png

The PC Brigade gone mad & bad.

I posted this in the Proper Remembering thread and it echoes what others have said. I wish we could get out of this ‘look at me’ phase the Country is locked into.
E415415B-1B4E-4D9E-B1FE-5563F520743D.jpeg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This is my opinion and if people don't like it then tough!

The red poppy is the symbol of Remembrance and should remain so. Any other type/colour of poppy is not about Remembrance but about the,very, minor groups of people as noted in posts above.

As I say, my pov and I don't give a flying fück if people don't like it.

PS102_large.jpg

DITA

MIA
I've read somewhere that this idea was bandied about last year and not taken up. My understanding is that someone has dug up an old article and its snowballed from there.

Gubmint_Agent

War Hero
Peter Tatchell has a face I'd never get tired of hitting. I still chuckle at the thought of him getting 'restrained' by Mugabe's henchmen when he tried his citizen's arrest stunt in 2001.
As for the poppy, well, the red one was good enough for everyone at its inception so it's good enough now.

It is hijacking remembrance day.
For the purpose of proper remembering, (to comply with other threads) I'll just stick to a red paper poppy and think about mates without having to define their bum fun antics.

We've got...
White - for Peace.
Purple - for animals killed in war, but now in experiments too.
Black - for the efforts of Black, African and Caribbean soldiers.
and Khadi - for those soldiers of Asia.
… poppies, there will now be a rainbow one. For the LGBTQ community. Personally, I always thought the red one sufficed for everyone but each to his own. Full disclosure, I think these new fangled 'cap badge jewelry' ones look daft. Paper has sufficed so far, I see no reason it wont in the future.

But it was this that got my attention the most. Peter Tatchell.

I don't recall the RBL ever not acknowledging people who risked and gave their lives to defend democracy. Shamefully wreaths (even memorials) have been removed and vandalised in many towns, not to mention them being used for toilets. Have any veterans been refused permission to march? As in officially, not because they turned up on the day with no notice or something.

I've seen lads rock up at a remembrance day and be allowed to march with nothing more than a blazer, beret and a couple of medals, no questions asked. So I don't get why folk would be turned away.

Anyone cast any light on this?

Bombs don't care who or what you fȗck.

Slime

LE
I’ve seen various facebook posts showing these multi coloured poppies.

It makes sense that they weren’t around in previous decades, for things like homosexuality being illegal, or more simply for the public being more matter of fact and less ‘PC’ in previous decades.

Looking at the idea of a multi coloured poppy I can see how there would be some people in 2019 defending anyone’s right to wear such a thing, and being outraged by those not liking it, but can equally see it would have been very different 70 years ago in 1949 where it could have easily been labelled as the ‘ooh hello sailor’ poppy.

Back to the ‘LGBTQ’ theme for such a multi coloured poppy. There has obviously been millions of homosexual soldiers, loads of bi sexual soldiers, and today we have trans soldiers (all coming under the established red poppy) but have there been any of the ‘newer’ letters the LGBTQ.....XYZ etc community keep coming up with?
I wonder if there is a colour or letter on the multi coloured poppy that has never ever had a serviceman or women (I’m sensing an issue here, as even saying person might not fit the bill) that the colour or letter could represent.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
How did they get a number of 200,000 LGBTQ+? Shirley that would be a case of "take the number who fought, look at todays percentage who describe themselves as LGBTQ+, divide one into the other and add the first number you thought of".

As some of these terms hadn't been invented back then, it smacks of a group wanting a piece of the publicity. At the end of the day, humans fought, humans died and humans survived. The red poppy remembers everyone on all sides.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wear what you like, including novelty medals, as long as the day is respected for those who shall not grow old.

Personally, I'll be wearing an RBL red poppy.

Slime

LE
How did they get a number of 200,000 LGBTQ+? Shirley that would be a case of "take the number who fought, look at todays percentage who describe themselves as LGBTQ+, divide one into the other and add the first number you thought of".

As some of these terms hadn't been invented back then, it smacks of a group wanting a piece of the publicity. At the end of the day, humans fought, humans died and humans survived. The red poppy remembers everyone on all sides.
I think using the constant figure for homosexuality or being bisexual is an accurate way to work figures out for those sexualities.

To play devils advocate the same applies for paedophiles and necrophiliacs.

But trying to equate the modern percentage who identify as neither male nor female or as third gender etc us simply bollocks imho.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The sale of the red poppies makes money for the RBL and SRBL to look after former servicemen and women for the coming year.

How much of the money made from sale of these aberration poppies goes to RBL/SRBL?

I think using the constant figure for homosexuality or being bisexual is an accurate way to work figures out for those sexualities.

To play devils advocate the same applies for paedophiles and necrophiliacs.

But trying to equate the modern percentage who identify as neither male nor female or as third gender etc us simply bollocks imho.
i suppose you'd go for a sort of bluey grey poppy for the necrophiliacs but i cant decide on a colour for the paedos one.

LGBT activists claim that they just want to be accepted as part of the mainstream but will then go all out to make sure that they are anything but. Mainstream is the last thing that they want.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt

Spot on.

Latest Threads