Lewis Hamilton finds out he's not special

When you rub yourself against a donkey, hairs are bound to rub off. The reality was the Hamilton was promoted by Schumacher, there was no BLM then. Race had nothing to do with his ability, having said that comparing Schumacher and Hamilton with the Legendary Fangio, Moss, Stewart, they simply don’t compare. I doubt he’d cope without modern technology. He’s just a very lucky man who just happens to be black. He didn’t get there because of his colour.
I don't think anyone claimed he did get where he is due to his colour.
He got there because his family could afford racing lessons when he was younger.

And he's quite talented at making various karts/cars go around the track.

Which he probably never would have had the chance to do if his parents weren't rich enough to pay for his lessons.

Same as any sport. How many world class skiers, gymnasts, golfers, racing drivers, jockeys, etc. etc. never got a chance to even try.

When they all start moaning about the lack of black people in their sport due to racism rather than lack of money, while dodging taxes, then Ill call them a **** as well.

Which he probably never would have had the chance to do if his parents weren't rich enough to pay for his lessons.
Are you talking about Hamilton? His parents are far from rich, his dad had to work several jobs to keep Lewis on track In his karting days.

Are you talking about Hamilton? His parents are far from rich, his dad had to work several jobs to keep Lewis on track In his karting days.

Ive looked the prices before, its about 100 quid an hour for kids training, plus his half brother also had lessons, his father must have had some very well paid "several jobs".
Makes a good rags to riches story though.

Ive looked the prices before, its about 100 quid an hour for kids training, plus his half brother also had lessons, his father must have had some very well paid "several jobs".
Makes a good rags to riches story though.

He was an IT Manager, so relatively well paid, but apparently took redundancy and used some of that, and then took several smaller jobs for flexibility to attend races. I suspect his mothers half of the family also helped out.

I have no doubt motor racing was more expensive than the costs we incurred with my daughters gymnastics, but at one point I was doing about 14,000 miles a year just on her training, which was running at about £150-£200 on fuel each month, plus club fees, competition fees, training camps, etc.

You do what you need to.

He was an IT Manager, so relatively well paid, but apparently took redundancy and used some of that, and then took several smaller jobs for flexibility to attend races. I suspect his mothers half of the family also helped out.

I have no doubt motor racing was more expensive than the costs we incurred with my daughters gymnastics, but at one point I was doing about 14,000 miles a year just on her training, which was running at about £150-£200 on fuel each month, plus club fees, competition fees, training camps, etc.

You do what you need to.

10 hours of training a week for 2 kids is roughly 2k (plus driving there, equipment etc). 100k a year (plus taxes) doing odd jobs? Not the most likely of stories.

10 hours of training a week for 2 kids is roughly 2k (plus driving there, equipment etc). 100k a year (plus taxes) doing odd jobs? Not the most likely of stories.
Maybe not, I don't know the figures, so can't confirm if that is correct or not. There is a point where sponsorship is an option/help. There is a lot of assumption either way, and you know what they say about that.

Maybe he had a huge redundancy pay off, maybe he had wealth elsewhere or a great set of jobs. Maybe your figures are wrong. I don't think we'll ever know.

Maybe not, I don't know the figures, so can't confirm if that is correct or not. There is a point where sponsorship is an option/help. There is a lot of assumption either way, and you know what they say about that.

Maybe he had a huge redundancy pay off, maybe he had wealth elsewhere or a great set of jobs. Maybe your figures are wrong. I don't think we'll ever know.

Check some of the fees yourself

I believe he got sponsored when he was 13.

Check some of the fees yourself

I believe he got sponsored when he was 13.
Those (racing / club) costs are minimal compared to the costs you listed for training hours per week. They would also have been cheaper when Lewis was doing them.

There are also usually many ways to reduce the training costs.

As I said, you have assumptions in your calculations that we cannot know if they are true or not.

One source says cart plus racing for the year is about a £3-4000 commitment for the year - so we have somewhere between £3,000 and £100,000, that's quite a large set of error bars.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but unless one of the few people who know says, it's all just guessing.

Well if he’s a pilot, that’s fair enough, but if someone says someones a bus driver I can hardly be blamed for taking them literally.

and as people have a propensity to big themselves up on ARRSE, there’s no fault on my behalf.
They're bus drivers. Only difference is they have bigger, more sparkly hats.

Of course, we bush pilots are gods of the cerulean blue. When we're not peeling bananas with our feet that is...
FA5F9EE2-F80D-421A-A812-C02F28A791CE.jpeg

That should clear up any confusion

Those (racing / club) costs are minimal compared to the costs you listed for training hours per week. They would also have been cheaper when Lewis was doing them.

There are also usually many ways to reduce the training costs.

As I said, you have assumptions in your calculations that we cannot know if they are true or not.

One source says cart plus racing for the year is about a £3-4000 commitment for the year - so we have somewhere between £3,000 and £100,000, that's quite a large set of error bars.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but unless one of the few people who know says, it's all just guessing.

250 -350 quid a day (in actual fact an hour) is "minimal"?

Check out the moneybags Drazyl,

If you have your own cart and do it for fun, its probably will be a few thousand, if you want to be properly trained by professional its probably a lot more.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Only in certain circles. The greater population of the UK disliked Hunt, he was deemed improper for British Society.

Mansell wasn’t liked at all, except by ardent race fans.

Clarke and Moss were if different, more polite, eras, but success at their level doesn’t come without putting some peoples backs up. It’s just the nature of things.

Hamilton is the GOAT, whatever else he does outside of F1 really doesn’t matter as long as it is legal. Some appeared to have adopted the typical British attitude of knocking a man down out of sheer petty jealousy.

Grow up ya dicks.
No, he's a COAT.

Some parents will do that though, and you only hear about the few success stories.

Casey Stoner’s parents moved from Australia to the UK just so he could race in a competitive environment. It worked out for Stoner, but I bet there are many others that fell by the wayside.

My GF took her two boys all around the country when they were Ice Hockey players (one playing for England juniors). Driving to Sheffield or Cardiff from Berkshire for competitions or practice at 0100hrs and then back.

If your kid shows talent then many parents find a way.

250 -350 quid a day (in actual fact an hour) is "minimal"?

Check out the moneybags Drazyl,

If you have your own cart and do it for fun, its probably will be a few thousand, if you want to be properly trained by professional its probably a lot more.
That is Kart hire. If you are serious you buy one secondhand. Actual cost of the races if you have your own kit isn't huge.

Maybe, having been on the fringes of international sport, I pay more attention to the detail.

That is Kart hire. If you are serious you buy one secondhand. Actual cost of the races if you have your own kit isn't huge.

Races are about 50 quid Mr Moneybags.

A one of bit of fun 50 quid isnt a lot, to someone constantly practising its a more than a one off cost.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Only in certain circles. The greater population of the UK disliked Hunt, he was deemed improper for British Society.

Mansell wasn’t liked at all, except by ardent race fans.

Clark and Moss were if different, more polite, eras, but success at their level doesn’t come without putting some peoples backs up. It’s just the nature of things.

Hamilton is the GOAT, whatever else he does outside of F1 really doesn’t matter as long as it is legal. Some appeared to have adopted the typical British attitude of knocking a man down out of sheer petty jealousy.

Grow up ya dicks.
Fixed that for you. Jim Clark was a boyhood hero of mine.

To be successful in any sport you need to be single minded and highly motivated otherwise it’s just a hobby.

I don’t particularly like Hamilton but I respect his ability enormously. I certainly don’t like the way some people denigrate his achievements or attitude when they’d shit themselves even sitting in his car let alone driving it. Tall poppy syndrome is very common in the UK and far too many people like having a pop when they have achieved very little themselves.

Latest Threads