Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis Hamilton finds out he's not special

I was always led to believe that in order for an activity to be considered a sport, it required participants to change out of their everyday shoes.
That eliminates surfing. The surfers round here never wear shoes and only put thongs (flip flops to you pins) on to dress up for the pub.

Which illustrates my point precisely.

They can be barefoot and still be considered a proper spectators sport, take women's beach volleyball for example

And it's an olympic sport to boot

8b6ba93dabfad72a438c1f6040f7128e.jpg

149803824_10.jpg

Bob65

War Hero
he deserves a Knighthood based purely on his achievements as an F1 World Champion.

The reward for being F1 World Champion is... being F1 World Champion. Same as the reward for winning a gold medal at the Olympics is... a gold medal.

Never saw the point of knighting them as well. Just shows how nonsensical the whole thing is.

The reward for being F1 World Champion is... being F1 World Champion. Same as the reward for winning a gold medal at the Olympics is... a gold medal.

Never saw the point of knighting them as well. Just shows how nonsensical the whole thing is.
Traditionally sportsmen and women were knighted for services to their sport (Jackie Stewart for his F1 safer campaign) or for achievements in their retired career that levered off the success (Ian Botham for his charity walks).

I think the populist rot set in with Steve Redgrave who was knighted for sporting achievement as he retired. It then extended in to rewarding active sportsmen like Murray and Farah.

When I look at racing drivers, IMHO Damon Hill is the nearest to meeting the services to his sport criteria; during his time as Chairman of the BRDC he basically saved the British Grand Prix. An event that is central to a very successful British industry and sport.

But if you knight the 66th= greatest tennis player for winning Wombledon, you can’t ignore Lewis Hamilton.

That's a good point, I never thought of it that way.
In that case he can f**K off, he doesn't deserve a Knighthood.

Chef

LE
I was always led to believe that in order for an activity to be considered a sport, it required participants to change out of their everyday shoes.
That's ten pin bowling in the frame then.
Or, as in the case of Cricket, that one cannot put on weight while playing it.
You've never stopped for tea in the pavilion then?

That's ten pin bowling in the frame then.

You've never stopped for tea in the pavilion then?
Nor do I bowl from the pavilion end.

Latest Threads