Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis Hamilton finds out he's not special

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
That you are aware of.............
Hello....Daddy £££££££££££

This is true, however the fact that I spent my wilder years working all over the world and always used an alias where a one night stand / a few nights looked promising. Makes this very unlikely.

MR_R_SOLE 1- any bastard offspring I've had 0.
More watches for me!
Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

On what grounds do you suspect that Hamilton would refuse a Knighthood? Other than prejudice?

He’s immensely proud of his British nationality and culture and has often said so in public. Recently “I’m so proud to represent the British flag around the world” and “the greatest honour an athlete gets is to stand and lift the flag of their nation”. He always pays tribute to the team around him and those that have got him to where he is. If you’ve ever seen him receive an award, he’s immensely humble.

FFS what does he have to do? We’ve knighted Murray for being the 66th= greatest tennis player of all time. We’ve knighted Farrar despite his direct connection with a known drug cheat coach and never being the best in the world. We’ve knighted Cook for being the fifth highest test batter ever. Fourteen England cricketers have been knighted. Seven British sailors. But only two British racing drivers, despite Britain being the dominant force in F1.

In terms of results, Lewis Hamilton is the greatest racing driver there has ever been. No other British sportsman has held that status in their sport. And you don’t want him to be honoured in case he gives it back?
Paying Tax here might, just might help his case

WALT

LE
Apologies if this has already been posted. Found on the interweb and seems salient for this thread.

View attachment 523316

Allan Benson

Yesterday at 06:39 ·
All this ranting and raving about Lewis Hamilton winning his 7th F1 title and whether he should be knighted or not. Yet not one mention of this man, Jonathan Rea, who recently won his 6th World Superbike title in a row. He just quietly got on with it, not making a single political statement, not demanding his fellow riders 'take a knee' and not being a total hypocrite by taking sponsorship from the descendants of the very people he is 'protesting' about.
Oh, and by the way, he still lives in Northern Ireland with his wife and kids - and pays his taxes like the rest of us do.
Arise Sir Jonathan, you've actually earned it!

He can't be very good. His bike's still fitted with stabilisers!

Guy Martin would get my vote for that but would he stand still long enough for the investiture?
I can understand why you would say that, he's very talented.
But he's never driven a big blue schnellie wagon halfway across Soltau, over trenches, tank tracks and shell scrapes, to deliver a Berliner, Kasseler or Currywurst mit einst cuppa tea to a bunch of cold and wet squaddies.
Who he should never have been able to find, seeing as we were practicing to hide from the Sovs.

I can understand why you would say that, he's very talented.
But he's never driven a big blue schnellie wagon halfway across Soltau, over trenches, tank tracks and shell scrapes, to deliver a Berliner, Kasseler or Currywurst mit einst cuppa tea to a bunch of cold and wet squaddies.
Who he should never have been able to find, seeing as we were practicing to hide from the Sovs.
1606240973733.png

Care to expand on both of those?

Not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but if there were a glass ceiling he still wouldn't be there. As for persuading the boards of two mega-brands, were they in a position to refuse?
On the glass ceiling issue, the only black driver to test an F1 car was before Hamilton was Willie T Ribbs, who had a brief IndyCar career and a chip on both shoulders. No black driver had driven in F3 in F2 as it now is. I doubt there were many, if any, other black kids in karting when he started. For his entire career, he’s been the first and only black man in the ring.

On the global brands issue, the decision to change the colour of Mercedes cars to black went right to Ola Kallenius, Chairman of Daimler-Benz main board. Racing Mercedes have been silver since Christian Lautenschlager won the 1908 French Grand Prix. Of course the Mercedes board could have refused. But they didn’t. Similarly Liberty Media.

Toto Wolff is on record as saying that very senior, successful executives had a lightbulb moment when Hamilton pitched the lack of diversity in F1 to them.

Apologies if this has already been posted. Found on the interweb and seems salient for this thread.

View attachment 523316

Allan Benson

Yesterday at 06:39 ·
All this ranting and raving about Lewis Hamilton winning his 7th F1 title and whether he should be knighted or not. Yet not one mention of this man, Jonathan Rea, who recently won his 6th World Superbike title in a row. He just quietly got on with it, not making a single political statement, not demanding his fellow riders 'take a knee' and not being a total hypocrite by taking sponsorship from the descendants of the very people he is 'protesting' about.
Oh, and by the way, he still lives in Northern Ireland with his wife and kids - and pays his taxes like the rest of us do.
Arise Sir Jonathan, you've actually earned it!
So he’s won bike racing’s second division championship six times.

When he steps up to Moto GP and wins seven titles, a comparison with Lewis Hamilton will be valid. Until then, a comparison with Andy Priaulx, three times World Touring Car champion, is more appropriate.

Jonathan Rea could walk down pretty much any street in the UK and not be recognised. Outside of the bike fraternity, no-one has heard of him. And he’s nowhere near the top 5000 taxpayers in the UK.

If I was campaigning to support human rights, I'd refuse to have anything to do with Bahrain, but if I was a hypocrite millionaire pretending to care about black people in the US, I'd probably accept a sack load of cash for being in Bahrain.

You and him aren’t to dissimilar in your work ethic then.

On the glass ceiling issue, the only black driver to test an F1 car was before Hamilton was Willie T Ribbs, who had a brief IndyCar career and a chip on both shoulders. No black driver had driven in F3 in F2 as it now is. I doubt there were many, if any, other black kids in karting when he started. For his entire career, he’s been the first and only black man in the ring.

Toto Wolff is on record as saying that very senior, successful executives had a lightbulb moment when Hamilton pitched the lack of diversity in F1 to them.

What the fuck has that got to do with a glass ceiling? You are part of the problem, you allude to racism when there isnt any. What exactly is holding back black kids? Oh would that be money? The same as white kids.

Most F1 driver come from families that found the money to train them when they were young, they have to get to a certain skill level and then they were lucky enough to be found by a sponsor.

It costs about a grand for a kid to get 10 hours a week of proper go kart training. Its far beyond the means of most families, black or white.

Fucking glass ceiling :roll:

Toto Wolff was hardly likely to be on record saying Hamilton is a stupid cunt who doesnt realise its money that initially gets people in car racing and fuck all to do with colour.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

On the global brands issue, the decision to change the colour of Mercedes cars to black went right to Ola Kallenius, Chairman of Daimler-Benz main board. Racing Mercedes have been silver since Christian Lautenschlager won the 1908 French Grand Prix. Of course the Mercedes board could have refused. But they didn’t. Similarly Liberty Media.

Yes, but was the glass ceiling a product of money/sponsorship, not racism?

On changing the car colours, silver was the German's national colour.
List of international auto racing colours - Wikipedia
If Mercedes/Liberty Media hadn't adopted black, would there have been undue criticism?

Yes, but was the glass ceiling a product of money/sponsorship, not racism?

On changing the car colours, silver was the German's national colour.
List of international auto racing colours - Wikipedia
If Mercedes/Liberty Media hadn't adopted black, would there have been undue criticism?
On the first point, Keke Rosberg has written about the racial abuse that he witnessed the Hamilton’s receive when he and Nico travelled the kart circuit with Lewis and Anthony Hamilton. The Hamilton’s basically rose above it; perhaps that’s where LH got his “Still I Rise” slogan from? Anthony Hamilton has talked about how they were often ostracised on the kart circuit. Maybe not a glass ceiling, but they had to be pretty resilient to abuse right up until LH’s early F1 career. In 2008, a group of Spanish fans turned up to testing dressed as monkeys with Hamilton Family on their shirts.

As for Mercedes adopting black, I doubt anyone would have criticised them. Hamilton simply persuaded them that it was the right thing to do. Mercedes, that most traditional of German companies, is embracing the need to change from top down.

BTW Germany’s traditional racing colour is white. My previous reference to Lautenschlager in 1908 was wrong; it wasn’t until 1934 that Mercedes adopted silver. Why? Because they didn’t paint their cars in order to save weight.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
On the first point, Keke Rosberg has written about the racial abuse that he witnessed the Hamilton’s receive when he and Nico travelled the kart circuit with Lewis and Anthony Hamilton. The Hamilton’s basically rose above it; perhaps that’s where LH got his “Still I Rise” slogan from? Anthony Hamilton has talked about how they were often ostracised on the kart circuit. Maybe not a glass ceiling, but they had to be pretty resilient to abuse right up until LH’s early F1 career. In 2008, a group of Spanish fans turned up to testing dressed as monkeys with Hamilton Family on their shirts.

As for Mercedes adopting black, I doubt anyone would have criticised them. Hamilton simply persuaded them that it was the right thing to do. Mercedes, that most traditional of German companies, is embracing the need to change from top down.

BTW Germany’s traditional racing colour is white. My previous reference to Lautenschlager in 1908 was wrong; it wasn’t until 1934 that Mercedes adopted silver. Why? Because they didn’t paint their cars in order to save weight.
The monkey thing is unforgivable.

And people try to call this country racist...

So not a glass ceiling in the slightest, glad that was clarified.

You being a big time business man should know that supporting a black cause is the fashion at the moment, they don't give a fuck about change just their image, so they weren't going to deny a black man who works for them requesting a minor change that they could milk for publicity. Why didn't Hamilton suggest changing their colour years ago? Why are they racing in countries with shit human rights records?

What about archery and shooting? Are they games as well? Pull a bit of string back and the bow does all the work sending the arrow to the target. Lie on the ground, put a bullet in a gun, look down the scope, pull the trigger - job jobbed. What about weight lifting? All that is is a strength test. Lift up a bar with some heavy weights on the end. Easy peasy. Football? Kick a bag of wind to another bloke wearing the same colour shirt and get it in the net at the end of the pitch. What about golf (AKA whack-fúck, AKA a good walk spoiled)? Swing a stick at an ickle ball 'til it goes in a hole.

I would argue that darts is as much a sport as the others in that to reach the top it takes a dartist a lot of skill, hand/eye coordination and judgement of distance to accurately place a small projectile in a very small target area at a distance away. Many hours of dedicated practise are required to become a top player. Granted, it is less physically demanding than other sports but one could quite easily argue, for instance, that shooting is even less physically demanding than darts. The bonus for darts is you can play with a tab in one hand and a pint on the table beside you. You can do the same with snooker, is that a sport or a game?

I was always led to believe that in order for an activity to be considered a sport, it required participants to change out of their everyday shoes.

I was always led to believe that in order for an activity to be considered a sport, it required participants to change out of their everyday shoes.
Or, as in the case of Cricket, that one cannot put on weight while playing it.