Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis Hamilton finds out he's not special

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
However, unlike many of the others, he has experienced breaking through a glass ceiling of prejudice. He started doing it when he was five. He’s also persuaded the Board of two global mega-brands that there is an issue and he’s done so on the back of his own experience.
Care to expand on both of those?

Not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but if there were a glass ceiling he still wouldn't be there. As for persuading the boards of two mega-brands, were they in a position to refuse?

He has stated several times he doesn't support the political movement, but the human rights side:

“But I think the people that are out at rallies, the people out there marching, are fighting for one cause and that’s for the equality. It’s not a political thing, necessarily.
“When I went to London, that’s what we were out there doing.
“When I wear this shirt, when I speak out, that’s what I’m supporting.
“I’m not supporting, necessarily, the political movements, that’s something completely different.
“So I think it’s important to try and keep them separate.”

He wore a t-shirt stating "Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor"

Sounds more political than it does humans rights.

No.

I take it you have never campaigned and/or voted for or against something.

If I was campaigning to support human rights, I'd refuse to have anything to do with Bahrain, but if I was a hypocrite millionaire pretending to care about black people in the US, I'd probably accept a sack load of cash for being in Bahrain.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty much my view. But to add, I know two people who have met Hamilton this year who say he is great company. Very interested in them and in no way up his own arrse.

As for the BLM thing, on the face of it, he’s no different from all of the other global virtue signalling sportsmen and women, politicians, media personalities, coppers etc etc who have taken the knee. However, unlike many of the others, he has experienced breaking through a glass ceiling of prejudice. He started doing it when he was five. He’s also persuaded the Board of two global mega-brands that there is an issue and he’s done so on the back of his own experience. And founded two organisations to fight inequality. He’s not signalling.

I also doubt he is naive about BLM; he’s way to bright. I think he sees them as a vehicle to build his own position as a driver of change. He could hardly not be involved, not when every Premier League soccer player takes the knee. And I couldn’t give a shit his tattoos; his generation has tats.

I don’t think we’ve seen anything like the peak of Lewis Hamilton as a sportsman. He’s just hitting his peak. But I also think his post racing career will be fascinating to watch.

And no, I don’t have an engorged rocket either. But equally, I don’t have 44 in my avatar!!!

The 44 predates Mr Hamilton's adoption of it. It goes back to an ice hockey player i admired in about 1997.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
So you gave a watch enthusiast access to your valuable watch collection in the event of your death. Do you not feel this is tempting him into pushing you off Beachy Head next time you visit?

Funnily enough he lives within 20mins of Beachy head.
Hes already had accsess to it. I gave him a choice of a few watches for his 21st Birthday gift. He picked a very nice Omega Seamaster.
I do however trust him implicitly.

To paraphrase Patek Philippe.
You never really own pices of High Horology, you are mearly a custodian for the next generation.
As my collection includes several family "Heirloom" pices I find that I must agree. I would much rather someone who knew what was what was looking after them, enjoying them and keeping the sentimtal pices as well as one or two pices that I have bough over the years. To then again pass on. Than the whole lot being stuck in some jewelers window and my missis be none the wiser.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Last edited:
If they're going to start dishing out Ks to half-jacks, whose sole contribution to society is tooling around in tricked-out German waggons, I expect half of Rusholme to turn up to the garden party. I think the gravel might need raking afterwards.

Chef

LE
Funnily enough he lives within 20mins of Beachy head.
Hes already had accsess to it. I gave him a choice of a few watches for his 21st Birthday gift. He picked a very nice Omega Seamaster.
I do however trust him implicitly.
That part of this collection:

'He seemed like such a quiet lad.'

'He's never done anything like this before.'

'He's always been devoted to his mother'.

I've got a watch thanks. But boot size. Just in case'

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
That part of this collection:

'He seemed like such a quiet lad.'

'He's never done anything like this before.'

'He's always been devoted to his mother'.

I've got a watch thanks. But boot size. Just in case'

11 Medium.
No I don't owe you a tenner.
Ahh yes but what I had failed to mention are my enhanced security features like 50kg of short haired German pointer. Who even barks at the LHCO if she goes too near that particular safe.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

On what grounds do you suspect that Hamilton would refuse a Knighthood? Other than prejudice?

He’s immensely proud of his British nationality and culture and has often said so in public. Recently “I’m so proud to represent the British flag around the world” and “the greatest honour an athlete gets is to stand and lift the flag of their nation”. He always pays tribute to the team around him and those that have got him to where he is. If you’ve ever seen him receive an award, he’s immensely humble.

FFS what does he have to do? We’ve knighted Murray for being the 66th= greatest tennis player of all time. We’ve knighted Farrar despite his direct connection with a known drug cheat coach and never being the best in the world. We’ve knighted Cook for being the fifth highest test batter ever. Fourteen England cricketers have been knighted. Seven British sailors. But only two British racing drivers, despite Britain being the dominant force in F1.

In terms of results, Lewis Hamilton is the greatest racing driver there has ever been. No other British sportsman has held that status in their sport. And you don’t want him to be honoured in case he gives it back?
I refer you to the second part of the sentence.

ETA, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve one, perhaps you can point out where I said that?
He does deserve one, without doubt.
You're reading words that aren't there, even the prejudice bit...

Chef

LE
11 Medium.
No I don't owe you a tenner.
Ahh yes but what I had failed to mention are my enhanced security features like 50kg of short haired German pointer. Who even barks at the LHCO if she goes too near that particular safe.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Yes you do owe me a tenner. I haven't bothered asking for it back as you've spent it all on watches and a safe to keep them in. Collectors? Rolls eyes :)

Chef

LE
Oh and your boots are the wrong size but I'll have them anyway ta.

Bahrain this weekend.
Assuming he "takes the knee" there, will it improve their dismal human rights record?

If he says the wrong thing there, they'd do more than take his knee

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Yes you do owe me a tenner. I haven't bothered asking for it back as you've spent it all on watches and a safe to keep them in. Collectors? Rolls eyes :)

The perks of not having children means I get to spunk my cash on Watches, Whisky and fast cars the rest I waste.

Apologies if this has already been posted. Found on the interweb and seems salient for this thread.

1606229396677.png

Allan Benson

Yesterday at 06:39 ·
All this ranting and raving about Lewis Hamilton winning his 7th F1 title and whether he should be knighted or not. Yet not one mention of this man, Jonathan Rea, who recently won his 6th World Superbike title in a row. He just quietly got on with it, not making a single political statement, not demanding his fellow riders 'take a knee' and not being a total hypocrite by taking sponsorship from the descendants of the very people he is 'protesting' about.
Oh, and by the way, he still lives in Northern Ireland with his wife and kids - and pays his taxes like the rest of us do.
Arise Sir Jonathan, you've actually earned it!

Latest Threads