Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis Hamilton finds out he's not special

I'd have thought that back in the late 40s, early 50s he might have gone for British bikes or maybe European but the Japanese bike industry was in its infancy and not really churning out the bikes associated with them since the 70s.

Mind you if the Hell's Angels had been cutting around on Honda 50cc bikes then their image today might have been very different.
The Wild One.1953.
Brando rode is personal bike, a Thunderbird 6T in the film. Triumph complained about their products featuring so prominently in the film.
the-wild-one.jpg

Not the Forte Crest (now the Forte Posthouse) in CMK by chance? In 1995 I consulted for Abbey National Shareholder Systems and lived in the Forte Crest for weeks. I was very much on first name terms with the breakfast staff in particular.

I asked why they had a replica racing car on a plinth. "We get a lot of F1 people and fans stay here." Then related how nice and down to earth (a then young) David Coulthard and his family were.

I'm sure they'd have been impressed by Lewis.

Did your car have "Cockpiss Partridge" spray-painted down the side?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hunt drove his first race in a Mini at the age of 20 and entered F1 at 26. His junior formula career was patchy at best; he wasn’t nicknamed “Hunt the Shunt” for nothing. He had a handful of wins on the way up but won no championships. He smoked, drank, did drugs and shagged for NATO, often turning up for races hungover and literally shagged out. Whilst one can understand his hedonistic lifestyle given the chances of survival of his generation, he could never be described as a professional athlete.

Hamilton has been racing non-stop since he was five. By the time he reached F1 he had won 9 separated national or international titles. His preparation is second to none; his fitness regime and diet match the best athletes in any sport. He is the consummate modern professional sportsman.

I was a Hunt (and Sheene) fan; Hunt was a boyhood hero. But however rose tinted your glasses, he would never get anywhere near modern F1. There are better, more professional drivers in British GT.
In 1974 I was planning to attend RCB. It was suggested I read the Torygraph for six months to get into the mindset. I saw an advert therein, "Wanted, trainee F1 driver, apply Hesketh, Northants," or something. I thought about it, but ultimately didn't. I went for RCB. And failed.

I've always believed I could have been James Hunt. But he died in iirc 1993 and I didn't, so meh.

He has set some great examples........
1) You can rise to the top of a sport, from humble beginnings...... whatever your skin colour.
2) Money and privilege can make you into an arrogant to$$er!

Not eligible for the Olympics, therefore a game.

It may be seen as a sport in the UK, but that’ll be because the difference between a sport and a game is millions of pounds.

On your definition we will be able to look forward to the WDC - World dominoes championship and cliffhanger sets of 5s&3s.

3 card brag league

Long Alley Skittles super cup.
I'm glad you didn't put uckers on your list. Down some messdecks uckers is a combat sport.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In 1974 I was planning to attend RCB. It was suggested I read the Torygraph for six months to get into the mindset. I saw an advert therein, "Wanted, trainee F1 driver, apply Hesketh, Northants," or something. I thought about it, but ultimately didn't. I went for RCB. And failed.

I've always believed I could have been James Hunt. But he died in iirc 1993 and I didn't, so meh.
His posts are better, though.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think he deserves a Knighthood based purely on his achievements as an F1 World Champion.
He's one of the most successful racing drivers in history.
Granted, he acts like a complete knob and has a severe attitude problem, but his sporting prowess has earned him a place in the history books.
Plus, kneeling down in front of the Queen may humble the little gobshite.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think he deserves a Knighthood based purely on his achievements as an F1 World Champion.
Granted, he acts like a complete knob and has a severe attitude problem, but his sporting prowess has earned him a place in the history books.
Indeed, however didn't people used to get such awards at the ends of their careers?

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Except Lewis Hamilton didn’t try to ban Hamilton from using the Hamilton name on their traditional watches. His company 44IP tried to prevent Swatch from registering Hamilton as a trademark in Europe to use on smart watches and other fashion accessories.

He didn’t go to court or sue anyone; his company lodged a routine appeal to the European Intellectual Property Office to prevent Swatch registering the trademark. A trademark that has never before been registered as IP in Europe despite over 100 years in business. Its the kind of stuff that goes on all the time when companies big and small build a brand and seek to protect that brand name as a trademark. I’ve had to do it to prevent a company copying my brand.

Personally I think they have a case; Hamilton is an obscure US luxury watch manufacturer with near zero brand recognition in Europe. They were bought by Swatch in 2008 and Swatch have done **** all with them since. So why would Swatch now seek to build an effectively new brand in Europe and push it beyond watches? Maybe because one of the most high profile sportsmen in the world who also happens to have a clothing and fashion apparel brand, shares the name? Maybe they want to poach some of Lewis Hamilton’s very powerful personal and business brand for themselves?

Dreadful reporting by the DM and some of the comments on here are just dumb.

An obscure brand?. Its been producing quality time pices for nearly 150 years. Including one of the " Dirty Dozen" 12 watches that were issued to the British forces. A highly collectable set that is amongst " Grail" collections of a lot of horology enthusiasts. I highly doubt the Hamilton watch co will be churning out smart watches in the near future. The Swatch group owns several other " Brands" including Omega ( who produced the first watch worn on the Moon) which has almost cult following worldwide. Plus Tissot and a few others.
I highly doubt they wish to trade on the name of some two bit racing driver. Yes he's won 7 titles but so did Schumacher who did so with some decorum unlike " Look at how woke i am conveniently forgetting im half white Lewis.
Stop spouting such utter drivel about a subject you know very little about.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Not eligible for the Olympics, therefore a game.

It may be seen as a sport in the UK, but that’ll be because the difference between a sport and a game is millions of pounds.

On your definition we will be able to look forward to the WDC - World dominoes championship and cliffhanger sets of 5s&3s.

3 card brag league

Long Alley Skittles super cup.
I'm looking forward to Nigeria's F1 entrant in the next OG

Hey, if Mick Jagger and Elton John can do it, why not “arise sir Lewis”. If he got a cabby on some of POWs’ Aston’s , then..... bring it....

An obscure brand?. Its been producing quality time pices for nearly 150 years. Including one of the " Dirty Dozen" 12 watches that were issued to the British forces. A highly collectable set that is amongst " Grail" collections of a lot of horology enthusiasts. I highly doubt the Hamilton watch co will be churning out smart watches in the near future. The Swatch group owns several other " Brands" including Omega ( who produced the first watch worn on the Moon) which has almost cult following worldwide. Plus Tissot and a few others.
I highly doubt they wish to trade on the name of some two bit racing driver. Yes he's won 7 titles but so did Schumacher who did so with some decorum unlike " Look at how woke i am conveniently forgetting im half white Lewis.
Stop spouting such utter drivel about a subject you know very little about.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.
Did you see the the link I sent you?

And here you are to tell the tale. Every cloud and all that....

Hey, if Mick Jagger and Elton John can do it, why not “arise sir Lewis”. If he got a cabby on some of POWs’ Aston’s , then..... bring it....
Actually, thinking about it, if anybody deserves a Knighthood based on their driving ability, shouldn't it be
'Arise, Sir Wolfgang'....?'

Latest Threads