Lewis gun Query

Thanks to all contributors. It's only when a thread like this kicks off that you realise that although you were introduced to a weapon in childhood (models, comics etc.), even decades later you don't know how they were deployed.

Due to the bulk of the magazines, they couldn't be distributed around the platoon and had dedicated ammo humpers with appropriate carrying equipment.

What's interesting (and contrary to the popular myth) is that the Gemans still used this approach into WW2 with their universal MG's, whereas the Brits went over to "every rifleman in the section carrying BREN mags" just prior to WW2. Partly since the Germans didn't develop any carrying gear that would allow riflemen to carry MG ammo without using their hands...

Which meant that the No.2 on the German MG in WW2 didn't even get a rifle (his hands were literally full with belt drum carriers and ammo boxes), and I can't recall seeing a photo of a belt draped over anyone's shoulders other than a No.1 or No.2 on the gun.
I spent a couple if weeks with 533 JAGER in the early 90s; we had a brief on their kit equipment etc ( quad 20mm cannon for fire support!!) and at that time the MG 43 would have a dedicated ammunition carrier - known as a "donkey" - who'd carry link in a daysack.

There were two mags available for the Lewis - holding either 47 or 97 rounds. The larger one was double-stacked, and was for use by air gunners.

ugly

LE
There was a BSA Light Infantry 27 round magazine as well. They produced an assault version of the gun without the cooling/air draw jacket as it wasn't really needed

Attachments

I saw this image of Australian troops firing a Lewis gun, but the mounting seems to be improvised, I cannot see how the weapon rotates, if at all? was their a spindle underneath ?
View attachment 326733
Think you'll find it's nothing more than the gun team making use of the movable bipod. It was fitted to the cooling sleeve by means of a circular clamp which could be released, thus allowing the bipod collar to be positioned on the cooling sleeve as the ground or need dictated:

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I seem to recall the 1917 infantry platoon was three sections, one of rifle grenadiers, One Lewis gun section with 1 lewis gun and an rifle section carrying bombs.
There may have been an additional gun team and an additional rifle section without bomb vests.

C & R Arsenal did an excellent video on the Lewis gun.

I seem to recall the 1917 infantry platoon was three sections, one of rifle grenadiers, One Lewis gun section with 1 lewis gun and an rifle section carrying bombs.
There may have been an additional gun team and an additional rifle section without bomb vests.
Four sections, the fourth was of rifle-and-bayonet men to protect the bombers.

I've never seen an example or photo of the webbing drum carrier, that's a fine chest that wench has....