Leveson Report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by philc, Nov 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the report is out lunch time, all 2000 pages.

So what will be the outcome, regulation of a free press? Will the UK become like France where politicians are very rarely exposed when having affairs or involved in financial scandals. Celebrities and sports stars can continue using the press to promote films, books or music but not be the subject of scrutiny when they are doing wrong.

I understand why the Press was reigned in, but I don't want to see the press shackled. Toughen up the press complaints procedure, make slander and libel cases more accessible, not something just for the rich, make the press print apologies and retractions as prominent as the original offending article by all means.

You try to regulate a free press and its another freedom lost.
  2. You reap what you sow, and the press has been sowing for years!

Not a fan of state regulation, but some form of meaningful consequence for p*ss poor journalism is needed.

Let's face it the press over react to everything, so why would they assume the public wouldn't as well?!!
  3. Must admit I agree with the fella. WTF has Hugh Grant got to do with this..? Or is he still smarting over having his kerb crawling splashed across the papers ?

BTW State Regulation of the press will just drive the internet and blogging sites to new heights of fun and frolics.....
  4. I wonder if there'll be any reporting restrictions on the report's publication? :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. They're just announcing the details now... It sounds as though he's been harsh enough, a new self-appointed body to regulate the press but it will be answerable to OFCOM.

I'd say... Ouch!
  6. Well there's a ****ing shocker.

The Met did nothing wrong. Hunt did nothing wrong. Lessons learned. Bla bla bla.

£4m down the pisser.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Just had one of the 7/7 victims family on ITN.... He says it's gone too far!

This could be interesting.
  8. I am all for the freedom of the press, but when they report innocent people who have been arrested or "helping the poilce with there inquires) and found guilty by media, then the press should be taken to task, hacking into mobile phones just to appease celebrity sensationalists realy grips my shite.

And some seriously heavy fines should be brought on to the press for mis information!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. It's also kind of pointless insofar as it can only be applied to the UK Press.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well why would it need to be applied to the non-UK press?
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Cos of something called "The Internet". Read comments on this stupidity in the media recently -Guido Fawkes in the NYT, and a good article in The Guardian.

The internet is simply not regulatable, unles you go down the road followed by China,Iran, etc.
    • Like Like x 1

12. Right on both counts. Which is a little worrying.