Leveson Enquiry - The Saga Continues

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Thanks for the heads up. The Sun (the paper that supports our boys) can go and **** themselves as far as I am concerned.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

But it's so much fun to watch journos trying to defend the undefendable.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well rather than post a new thread I did a search and Lo! - this one seems appropriate.

Interesting short interview with Hugh Grant on Radio 4 Today programme today
    BBC Radio 4 - Today, 09/10/2013, Hugh Grant: 'No further compromise with press'

In the words of the late Sir George of Michael,(Treble Clef and Bar)
    - ' Listen Without Prejudice'

What I was also intrigued by en passant was the BBC use of imagery to accompany.

Picture desks are hard pressed - but which of the two pics below suggests

A) Articulate middle-aged man expressing passionately held personal views on a matter of which he has considerable weary experience

B) Vacuous meeja personality whose points are safe to rubbish ?

...and points for which one the BBC chose to illustrate the R4 link with :)

Anyroadup have a listen - be interested in views

( something in addition to ' 'E's a w4nker - but I'd do that Julia Roberts !' would be refreshing !)

Le Chevre
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The popular press can win or lose you the next election. So no surprises who the sitting government support. The opposition tut and suck in their breath, until they become the sitting government....and repeat.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'm opposed to press censorship by the government but since the press have allowed themselves to be muzzled in name of equal rights, racism, sexism and any other victim group I fail to see how they can object to the next logical steps.

And Grant - E's a ******, but only because he dare not get caught trawling for whores again.
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Y-a-a-a-ay, thanks Bouillabaise - my absurd prejudices about the typical Arrser's views are duly confirmed, well done you :)

Always a dangerous thing to take sides on things like God, Mom's Apple Pie, Patriotism and Press Freedom.

These are all, apparently, givens - as in

'Of course I believe in... ..[insert name of mainstream received opinion here] '

If you didn't get the chance , it is worth listening to what the guy said :

BBC Radio 4 - Today, 09/10/2013, Hugh Grant: 'No further compromise with press'

' He [Leveson] deliberately did not choose state regulation...our Executive are basically in hock to the big Press barons...they are terrified....you have an abuse of Democracy going on here.. they continue to monster the innocent (like the McCanns) for the profit of their newspaper...the victims (not me) need a say ...why is the Press any different from any other industry that can do harm to people ? "

Listen Without Prejudice ?
  8. Bouillabaisse

I can't listen to it as I'm at work. Grant deliberately set out to court the press for the publicity during his career in order to get more work and more money. He doesn't like the consequences of that deliberate act. Tough. Now he's set himself up as champion of "the innocent" in order to drive his own personal vendetta agianst the press. What he wants to achieve is yet another restriction of the civil liberties that we used to have for his own selfish ends.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There's one thing worse than a Free Press - and that's a State Controlled Press.

Hacked Off are a bunch of self-selected people with axes to grind, and a hatred of the press, and they can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. Parliament will of course support them, as they will never forgive the DTel for publishing their expenses details - info that's far too important for we plebs to know about.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. As my wife informs me "If the McCanns were from a council estate the press would have given them a much worse time and the Leveson inquiry would have said so what ?"

Then she added "Mind you if they came from the council estate (Coalmining area) where I was brought up someone would have beaten them up for what happened to the little girl. We had standards on our estate."

Labour's theories on further education and social mobility and a proliferation, thereby, of tolerant empathy. mmmmm

Say nowt is best.
  11. Yeah, that Milly Dowler's family for a start. They just didn't want the press letting us plebs know what Milly's answerphone messages were, and you have to ask, what were they trying to hide, eh?

I am aware that it is considered crayoning to call someone a prick in CA, and probably especially so if that prick is a moderator, so I won't.
  12. Bouillabaisse

There's perfectly good laws that exist already to stop that sort of activity if properly applied. It doesn't need any new ones.
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

So, I'm a prick? Well, that's as may be, and probably true, but shroud-waving does not alter the facts. What the NOTW did was illegal then, is illegal now, and the Police knew very soon after they had accessed the voicemails exactly what they had done (and no, they did not erase them). The Police and CPS decided not to investigate, and thus not to prosecute. The NOTW did illegal things, and possibly should have been prosecuted (I'm no lawyer), but this did not happen, probably because the Police were so in cahoots with them.

There is no need whatsoever for any new law, or State control, of the media. There are plenty of existing laws on libel, theft, etc. That they have not been enforced is not an excuse to bring in new ones.

Oh, and if this weren't in CA, I'd call you a very gullible and naive person who believes all that they read, including political manifestoes, religious tracts, and other works of fiction.
  14. New regulation isn't what's required. The law's are already there.

On the Weeting side, build a good case, then throw Rebekah Brookes, Coulsen, Thrulbeck et al away in clink for as long as possible. Similarly, with Elveden, put-away a dozen or so Journo's and plod, and then stand back as ask if anyone else fancies it.

It won't stop it, that'll be impossible by vrtue of human nature, but it'll remove it being the culture in newsrooms and will make young thrusters think twice before breaking the law for the next big scoop.
  15. There are several facets to this. The fact that the NOTW were acting illegally is not the whole story, and it ignores the fact that, for a section of the press at least, this sort of behaviour was not considered to be immoral. Whether or not the NOTW erased any voicemails they accessed is a red herring, as the fact that the voicemails were accessed by someone was taken as an indication that Milly Dowler may simply have run away of her own free will, which could have had deadly consequences had she been alive at that time but in the hands of her abductor. However, the fact remains that the PCC were, it seems, neither willing nor able to keep the press within the bounds of morality. I am all for the press using illegal methods to obtain information, as long as there is a moral justification, but they must be answerable to someone, and that someone must have sufficient power to punish transgressions where necessary. The Hacked Off campaigners may not have it 100% right, but as sure as hell, those of the press who oppose them are not the virtuous guardians of the public interest that they would have us believe.
    • Like Like x 3