Discussion in 'Officers' started by Selfpreservationsociety, May 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. when writing a letter to a regimental secratary, I am led to beleive that the correct method of signing off is:

Sir, I have the honour to be your obediant servant,

Joe Bloggs

second point is, although when addressing the letter one obviously uses lieutenant Colonel, when writing the salutation should one address in the generic rather than specific, ie: Dear Colonel Smith?
  2. If using the formal ending you suggest, then the correct opening would be

There is an electronic version of the conventions on armynet-or crib one from the Company Clerk's file
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

It is customary to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences, too.

Have a look at JSP 101 for the correct form.
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It depends on the type of letter you are writing and whether you know the individual or not. In a formal letter, you would address the recipient as 'Sir' (or Madam) and sign off that '...you have the honour to be...' etc etc; whereas in a DO letter you would address by rank and name, and sign off 'Yours sincerely'; and in an informal letter, 'Dear Colonel Bob' or whatever your regimental convention might be.
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was under the impression that the current version of DW had done away with DO's and formals and that everything is now routine -any comments...
  6. Spoll chocking it wouldn't go amiss either. ;)
  7. If I may…

A letter beginning with "(Dear) Sir" necessitates the ending “Yours faithfully” or, if you have not met the recipient but hope to do so, you can correctly write “Yours very truly.”

If you prefer to start with a more familiar “Dear Colonel”, which is the proper way of addressing a Lieutenant Colonel in writing, you should end your letter with a “Yours sincerely” or “Yours very sincerely”.
  8. Nice one Lord Flasheart (the MC bit)...........!
  9. Nice one Lord Flasheart (the MC bit)...........!
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Er, not according to service writing conventions. It may well be that Formal and DO letters are no longer a 'formal' part of Defence Writing but many older officers will still expect to receive them in certain circumstances.
  11. www.da.mod.uk/edw - defense writing online

and I think it is:

I have the honour to be,
    Your obediant servant,

rather than the above wording/layout

but I couldn't be sure about what is correct without looking at the edw - but I'll let you do that!

12. I think you'll find that's "obedient"
  13. well, thats why I joined the infantry - they let us use spellcheckers there! :D
  14. I once received a letter from a Lt Col,when I was a junior Captain,where he finished '' I am,Sir,Your obedient Servant....''.I've still got it somewhere!
  15. I wouldn't write 'Joe Bloggs', he'll never believe you.

In the old days when you called all gentlemen, whether senior or junior to you, 'sir' if you didn't know them, then you would use 'I have the honour to be etc' irrespective of rank. Therefore if you were a Officer cadet being written to by your Bde Comd he would end it that way. Gone out of fashion though.