Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Letters to those who need it

Kh212

Crow
Hi there.
I’m not 100% sure where to post this so forgive me if it’s wrong to be posted here. I have recently come across a family member I didn’t know about and have learned of his time serving when he was younger, he didn’t have any family writing him letters and he told me how that was for him especially when others received their own letters.

for this reason it’s made me think maybe I could do this for someone who isn’t receiving letters like him, and make a little bit of difference to someone even the slightest bit - I have only managed to come across a very old website which doesn’t work for soldiers angels Europe, I’m guessing they’re not doing this service anymore, I also came across an old address for birkleigh barracks which distributes letters to people who don’t get any or many, but I’m unsure if this still happens.

if anyone can point me in the direction of an address to send these too where they will go to someone who needs it I will be very grateful or if you know someone who’s serving and doesn’t get any/many letters but would like some please let me know.

I apologise if this offends anyone in any way, this is not my intent- I truly only want to make a difference with supporting someone if I can in any way. Thank you in advance & thanks for taking the time to read this.

“A soldier on Operations”

C/o BFPO LONDON

This happened to me in Bosnia. We got a sack of letters and cards from the parish of St Tudy, Cornwall. I have not, and shall not, forget that act of kindness.

C/o BFPO LONDON

This happened to me in Bosnia. We got a sack of letters and cards from the parish of St Tudy, Cornwall. I have not, and shall not, forget that act of kindness.
Same in Northern Ireland with the Christmas cards.
Nice gesture, much appreciated.
Well done Kh212 :salut:

Kh212

Crow

C/o BFPO LONDON

Thank you for replying, this is exactly the kind of thing I’m wanting to do for people and I’m glad you received some of this sort of kindness yourself☺️It’s so lovely to know the impression this really does leave on people. Thank you for everything

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Light Dragoons are in Mali on Op Newcombe.

They were organising Christmas parcels to soldiers. You might try emailing mail@lightdragoons.org.uk and see if they'd like you to write to a particular named soldier.

They can only say no.

We received shoe box care packages from a couple whose name I forget. My guys (and as a result, me) were very chuffed to receive them in Iraq and Afghanistan.
My first tour, on Op Grapple/Resolute, in the bleak Bosnian winter, when we had shit all (because the QMs issued our brand new C95 clothing to the TA in very hot and sunny Split), we received care packages from the UK.
The RQMS in his failed quest for an MBE, dished them all out to the locals. He, the RQMS that is, will hopefully catch a disgusting tropical disease of the cock and balls. The prick.

We ran out of drinking water, and he (The prick) went ballistic when the stores guys doled out the iso container full of bottled mineral water to everyone

964ST

War Hero
We used to get welfare packages in NI whilst on duty at Chrimbo, very nice gesture and fairly random contents! Cakes/Bicuits, reading materials, smelly-stuff like soap deodorant, scarfs and hats, etc.
Knowing what I know now, I maybe should not have eaten the cakes (unless originally wrapped packaging)!

I've had some luck with this one:

"Dear friend

With a very desperate need for assistance, I have summed up courage to contact you. I am from (will disclose this later),presently working in Iraq with an international organization that I will also disclose later, I found your contact particulars in an address journal.I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of (US$18.523 Million Dollars) Eighteen Million, five Hundred And Twenty Three Thousand US Dollars to your country or any other safe country of your choice, as far as I can be assured that my share will be safe in your care untill I complete my service here,this is no stolen money,and there are no dangers involved.
SOURCE OF MONEY:
Some money in various currencies was discovered concealed in barrels with piles of weapons and ammunitions at a location near one of Saddam,s old palaces during a rescue operation, and it was agreed by all party present that the money be shared amongst us, this was quite an illegal thing to do, but I tell you what? no compensation can make up for the risks we have taken with our lives in this hell hole. The above figure was given to me as my share, and to conceal this kind of money became a problem for me, so with the help of a German contact working here, and his office enjoys some immunity, I was able to get the package out to a safe cation entirely out of trouble spot.
He does not know the real contents of the package, and believes that it belongs to an Asian/American who died in an air raid, and before giving up, trusted me to hand over the package to his business associate. I have now found a secured way of getting the package out to a safer country for you to pick up, and will discuss this with you when I am sure that you are willing to assist me.One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter with a third party, should you have reasons to reject this offer, please destroy this mail as any leakage of this information will be too bad for us.I do not know for how long we will remain here, and I have survived 6 suicide bomb attacks by the special grace of God, this and other reasons I will mention later has prompted me to reach out for help, I honestly want this matter to be resolved immediately.
kindly fill up this requirements like:Kindly respond .

Your full name:
Your country:
Contact phone/fax number
Regards,
Mr Ali Ibrahim.
"

chimera

LE
Those of us "of a certain age" will also remember that every so often on an op tour the unit would get a large batch of cigarettes and spirits which was stuff that Customs and Excise (as it was then known) had confiscated at ports etc in the UK. Everyone got a bottle of something (usually brandy or whisky), and the non smokers then also had a box of 200 to trade with the addicts.

Last time I recall it happening would have been around 85/86, so God knows what happens to the stuff now.

Edited to add: the stuff was secured by the QM and dished out on the way home

Last edited:
Same in Northern Ireland with the Christmas cards.
Nice gesture, much appreciated.
Well done Kh212 :salut:

Likewise. My small, bijou little unit, received a couple of hundred from the RE posties.

They were appreciated for the spirit in which they were sent.

I've had some luck with this one:

"Dear friend

With a very desperate need for assistance, I have summed up courage to contact you. I am from (will disclose this later),presently working in Iraq with an international organization that I will also disclose later, I found your contact particulars in an address journal.I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of (US$18.523 Million Dollars) Eighteen Million, five Hundred And Twenty Three Thousand US Dollars to your country or any other safe country of your choice, as far as I can be assured that my share will be safe in your care untill I complete my service here,this is no stolen money,and there are no dangers involved.
SOURCE OF MONEY:
Some money in various currencies was discovered concealed in barrels with piles of weapons and ammunitions at a location near one of Saddam,s old palaces during a rescue operation, and it was agreed by all party present that the money be shared amongst us, this was quite an illegal thing to do, but I tell you what? no compensation can make up for the risks we have taken with our lives in this hell hole. The above figure was given to me as my share, and to conceal this kind of money became a problem for me, so with the help of a German contact working here, and his office enjoys some immunity, I was able to get the package out to a safe cation entirely out of trouble spot.
He does not know the real contents of the package, and believes that it belongs to an Asian/American who died in an air raid, and before giving up, trusted me to hand over the package to his business associate. I have now found a secured way of getting the package out to a safer country for you to pick up, and will discuss this with you when I am sure that you are willing to assist me.One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter with a third party, should you have reasons to reject this offer, please destroy this mail as any leakage of this information will be too bad for us.I do not know for how long we will remain here, and I have survived 6 suicide bomb attacks by the special grace of God, this and other reasons I will mention later has prompted me to reach out for help, I honestly want this matter to be resolved immediately.
kindly fill up this requirements like:Kindly respond .

Your full name:
Your country:
Contact phone/fax number
Regards,
Mr Ali Ibrahim.
"
A normal smilie doesn't do your post justice...have one of these
smiley-face-laugh-46.png

Thank you for replying, this is exactly the kind of thing I’m wanting to do for people and I’m glad you received some of this sort of kindness yourself☺️It’s so lovely to know the impression this really does leave on people. Thank you for everything
As has been pointed out there is something special about receiving a hand written letter from someone. In the age of the email especially, it means someone has gone to some effort to do it. I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple of these and it really is a boost to morale. Thanks on behalf of who ever receives one of these and benefits from your efforts.

Kh212

Crow
As has been pointed out there is something special about receiving a hand written letter from someone. In the age of the email especially, it means someone has gone to some effort to do it. I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple of these and it really is a boost to morale. Thanks on behalf of who ever receives one of these and benefits from your efforts.
Honestly I love to hear how meaningful letters are to people who receive them, I personally think written letters are so special this day and age like you say here. Can’t wait to send my own and spread some kindness. Thank you for everything

Honestly I love to hear how meaningful letters are to people who receive them, I personally think written letters are so special this day and age like you say here. Can’t wait to send my own and spread some kindness. Thank you for everything
P. S. Don't be discouraged if you get some stupid responses. Your efforts will be appreciated at the recipients end.

Do it, we've done shoeboxes so for a few years now. Just be aware of your own persec one year we received a couple of packets in return, in one the note read " Sorry youre not here, here have some sand ".
Laughed for weeks, and I still have the sand in a jar.

Latest Threads