• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Letters from Afghanistan in the Guardian

Do you honestly think they are genuine letters?

How many people do you know write like this?

"Well things here are very ****ing strange mate and the head shed couldn't organise a chimp's tea party let alone fight the Taliban. We have 30 blokes here to defend a compound that doesn't stop 7.62 [calibre ammunition] and is limited when it comes to defence."

Chimps tea party? come on

Unless things have changed that much, nobody writes about ammo like that to their family/mates etc

And those are just from a glance at the letters.

They are produced not excerpts from genuine letters

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Gren said:

"Well things here are very * strange mate and the head shed couldn't organise a chimp's tea party let alone fight the Taliban. We have 30 blokes here to defend a compound that doesn't stop 7.62 [calibre ammunition] and is limited when it comes to defence."

Unless things have changed that much, nobody writes about ammo like that to their family/mates etc

Maybe he thought he was writing to Arrse :D Anyway, if he was writing to a mate on Rear party or such then maybe he will. Who knows?

Gren said:

"Well things here are very * strange mate and the head shed couldn't organise a chimp's tea party let alone fight the Taliban. We have 30 blokes here to defend a compound that doesn't stop 7.62 [calibre ammunition] and is limited when it comes to defence."

Thank God I wasn't the only one who thought they weren't real. Earned some pennies for whoever sold them to the journo though.

Spanner...you beat me to it but I thought it sounded exactly like the contrived "dialogue" you get in McNab/Ryan books. ...Not that I read any, you understand.

If anything happens to me, don't let them tell people I believed in the mission, because I don't. I am here because I'm a paratrooper. I wanted to test myself in combat and that's the truth.
It might be Fallschirmjager earning a few quid on the side.

M

mogwaimarshall

and the end of the day if these letters are fake or not, what is written is very much true, so maybe someone important will read these letters and maybe hopefully someone will do something about the issues raised, more likely not though. with all the fatalities creeping up things have to change, lets hope things will change for the better soon.

stacker1 said:
If anything happens to me, don't let them tell people I believed in the mission, because I don't. I am here because I'm a paratrooper. I wanted to test myself in combat and that's the truth.
It might be Fallschirmjager earning a few quid on the side.
Considering there are no Paras in Afghan at present (unless it's SFSG) then i'd say it's bollox.

The fob I am now in doesn't have vehicles come to it because they keep getting ambushed and keep going over IEDs at a bridge at a crossroads. You would think with all the surveillance assets we possess we could do something about it but we can't. I don't ****ing rate the Taliban; in fact; they are shit houses. One minute they fight, the next they hide their weapons and say they are farmers. They are ****ing cowards still I keep shooting them.
Just a layman's perspective, but that sentence doesn't fit into the paragraph. Writer moves from the colloquial to the formal and back again. It's like a GCSE English question.
'Imagine you are serving in Afghanistan with the Parachute Regiment. Write a letter to a friend expressing your frustration with specific aspects of British Army counterinsurgency doctrine.'

Well, the Government has form for faking letters in papers. In 2002, when the decision to prematurely retire the RN's Sea Harrier was announced, many protested. Oddly a letter turned up in the Times, written by an RN Lieutenant and RAF Flt Lt, supporting the decision.

A MOD Minister (Hoon or Ingram) made reference to the letter in parliament. But it was a fake.

Although the names on the letter do not belong to anyone in the Navy or RAF, there is a teenage boy with the name of one of the signatories living at the address given. There was no one at the house last night.

The letter was published in The Times this week, when Mr Hoon was under intense political pressure not to deprive the Navy of its air defence capacity. The Sea Harrier FA2 is to be withdrawn from service by 2006, despite pleas from Tory and Liberal Democrat MPs that it will leave the Navy with no effective air cover.

Signed by "Flight Lieutenant Dan Holland, RAF" and "Lieutenant James Hamblin" of the Royal Navy, from an address in Uxbridge, Middlesex, the letter appeared to show support for Mr Hoon from within the military.

It argued that the disappearance of the FA2 "will not, in fact, be as big a blow as many people seem to believe" and claimed that "the Tories have done more to hurt our national defence over 18 years than anything Labour could do in five".

The address given is real and neighbours confirmed that a teenager named Dan Holland lives there with his mother, Theresa.

"Inquiries have revealed that there are no officers with these names in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force," said Adam Ingram, the defence minister.

Don't trust them!

Latest Threads