Letter writing

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by nursienorth, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to write a letter to my CO asking permission not to be somewhere. I know the general layout, but what is an appropriate closure to it. Do i do the usual ' i remain, Sir, you obediant servant'? Or is there something else. The online JSP 101 hasn't helped much.

Cheers in advance
  2. You could always use "Shove It".

Really, perhaps the simple 'Respectfully' might do or exactly like you say.

Have fun
  3. "kiss my hairy arse" has a nice ring to it!!

The obedient servant thing will be fine.
  4. Not to be somewhere?

You mean going on tour?
  5. I know the definative guide is JSP 101 but the best way to write a letter to the CO is to get hold of a copy of one of his, that is the correct way relative to your unit/CO. As for the closure; I would a) speak to the Regt/Bn typist and see what they would advise or b) make an arrangement to speak to the Adjutant and see what they have to say (including the full content of the letter). Even if you are a Pte soldier I wouldn't be too concerned with too many formalities. What is probably more important is your justification and do you have support from above.

Good luck
  6. Nursienorth,

check your PM's

7. "I am forever your supple servant" or a more old fashioned "I am yours to command" are good, neutral sign offs that will never offend even the most misogynist of CO's.
  8. Actually, no, I'm not a tour dodger, nor do i intend to be....so take your head out from your hoop and 'jog on'!
  9. Thanks for the advice peeps...i've gone with the 'kiss my hairy arse' option...thought it'd be appropriate since i have to wax it daily! I'm even gonna plait the hair for the occasion!
  10. I hope for your sake that was meant as a joke !
  11. [/quote]
    I hope for your sake that was meant as a joke ![/quote]

Erm...no...why would it be a joke!
  12. The correct (traditional) closure is:

I have the honour to be,
    Your obedient Servant

(note the apparently random use of capital letters)

JSP101 isn't much help because Defence Writing (DW) is supposed to be moving away from these hide-bound writ-in-stone templates and towards a more 21st Century, sensible approach where the emphasis is on presenting the correct information in a way that is clear, concise, appropriate and correctly spelt and punctuated.

In principle, therefore, there is no longer any such thing as a "Loose Minute", a "Demi-Official" letter, a "Routine letter" or a "Formal letter".

In practice, however, the vast majority of officers have had the old templates nailed (sometimes literally for a particularly harsh exampe of red-penning) into their brains and are unable to let them go without a fight.

13. Lol. I hadn't noticed that when I first read it.
  15. Jesus, I would get someone to help you with the letter if you cant spot the simple mistake