Letter writing etiquette

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Tiresias, Apr 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I'm wondering if someone can advise on the subtleties of letter writing firstly to Regimental Adjutants and secondly to Commanding Officers following a FAM visit.

Is it considered a faux pas to type the main body of the letter (on nice writing paper) and then address and sign the letter with a fountain pen? Or is it a safer bet just to stick to writing the whole thing by hand.
    I would say that it’s okay to do this when writing to a Regimental Secretary/ Adjutant informing of specific things, but not with thank you notes to a CO.

Any confirmation gladly received, thanks.

Thanks

T.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Neatly handwritten with a fountain pen on decent quality paper will do it.

3. Where has my reply gone?

4. Lost in the post....

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 2
  5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Feel free to type the main body if you cant write properly, just make sure you 'top and tail' with handwriting. Just make sure it's a well written letter; badly written stuff (particularly if it looks like its been done with a crayon on A4 printer paper) tends to get the piss taken out of it. Well written letters go on a board in the mess and are genuinely appreciated.

Ignore any comments about colour of ink or format. You're not in the army yet so enjoy not having to follow prissy rules while you still can.

6. Then why bother to write at all?

What he said.

7. And do it sharpish. You could have it written by professional calligraphers but if it is more than a few days late it's still social death.

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I deleted it because it was needlessly pedantic and petulant. In this part of Arrse we are trying to help and encourage potential officers, not put them off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Petulant, it was certainly not. Pedantic? Maybe, but correct would have been a better word. Anyway, whichever way one looks at it, it clearly did the trick as I note the young man(?) has remedied his original post! Or, did you change that too? I'm guessing you did as the little 'edited by' thing is absent? Are you related to the fellow?

10. However you write it, do NOT rely on spellchecker to do your work for you. ALWAYS print a hard copy and then spellcheck from that. You pick up things you don't see on screen, trust me!

11. It's pretty much standard format to type the main body now but write the "Sir/Ma'am" and date bit. Signature is clearly in pen.

Didn't General Richards put something out a couple of years ago, having a go at CO's for not replying to letters? Which was why it's now OK to be typed so that the Adjt can type it up and the CO just needs to add a signature?

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Really? "Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish" - fits the bill for me.

Anyway, in this forum the intention is that we help potential officers in a positive way rather than growling and harumph-ing at them.

13. Dont forget to add a few smileys :) , it breaks the ice :clown:

14. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He can use words like 'cheers' all he wants. The only place it would be correct for him not to is in your well-thumbed copy of Debretts. If you really think that people actually talk like that nowadays then you would be horrified by the current members of the PWRR mess)

15. And a Bn of the RIFLES as well.