Letter Writing- Civvy to Colonel (Retd)

Discussion in 'Officers' started by simpleton7890, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am writing a letter to an ACA(O) that i have never dealt with, yet alone met.

I figured it would be a good idea to try and get the letter writing ettiquette right, first impressions etc.

Any tips, or the correct way to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Addressed to: Col. (Retd). Joe Bloggs MC

Thanks.

P.S. I am aware that Dear Sir/ Yours Sincerely will probably suffice, but if there were any blindingly obvious things to include etc.

2. Sorry,

I am also referring to another retired Col. in my letter...

should I write his name as J Bloggs or Col. Bloggs or Col. (retd). Bloggs or Col. Bloggs (retd).

Quite confused.

3. I'm sure that as you're a civvie, the simple fact that you are writing anything will be a pleasant surprise...

4. also finish with

Yours Aye
    Willy Wonker

5. Well that may be the case, but i want to do it properly.

I am confident you know exactly how to address a retired officer in writing so please share your wisdom so i can get this posted.

Thanks

6. It doesn't matter, the Ministry of Justice website has told me. Close the thread if you want.

7. The same way you address anyone else, Dear Sir,

8. Letters go along way, so you'll be fine!

9. And before they go along way they go along road! Share laboon :D

10. That'd do, but the correct form is to address him as Colonel X, and use the same on the envelope. Yours faithfully is the correct sign off.

If he is a Lieutenant Colonel (as most recruiting officers you come across will be) then use the full rank on the envelope and then just colonel on the letter itself. A similar rule applies to the various forms of General.

(retd) after rank belongs either in the relevant officers own letterhead or after his signiature, or any other situation in which full postnominals would be used.