Letter to Soldier Mag : Ref NAAFI

IS the NAAFI a rip off?

  • Yes - but it won't change so bin the letter

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - so send the letter and see what happens

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
Just wanted a few thoughts on this before I pop it in an email and fire it off.

Am I being unreasonable :?

Sir,

How is that a serviceman can shop in a local german supermarket and buy a UK based newspaper cheaper than they can at the NAAFI?

I refer to a recent article in the Sixth Sense highlighting that Celle's Real Supermarket now offer British publications which can be purchased tax free yet my own NAAFI doubles the price of every publication.
Following this theme, on a recent trip to JHQ I went into the NAAFI to purchase a copy of National Geographic and was quoted double the cover price as standard. I declined and walked to the American PX whereby I was able to purchase the same publication for almost a quarter of the NAAFI price (2 Euros!)

How can such prices be justified? I am sure the 'cost per unit' of a each newspaper is not that high. It is a blatant attempted monolopy because soldiers will pay for a newspaper from home.
When discussing the matter with a colleague more senior he politely reminded me that if the NAAI drop their prices then LOA will decrease in line. How can that be the case when those postings without a NAAFI (IE Kuwait) recieve far more LOA to purchase goods locally than we do in Germany. The theory does not hold water. Putting it bluntly - we are just being ripped off.

This is not an attempt to ask for more LOA.

No doubt the NAAFI representative will skirt the issue by talking about recent price cuts, special offers etc, none of which answer the complaint.

It's an economical kick in the balls :D
 
#3
The Naafis code of conduct mentions in point one, how they will overcharge because they can. Point two says see point one :)
 
#5
Do it! Be interesting to see if they print it and just what NAAFI have to say about it.
 
#6
Dontdreamit said:
Just wanted a few thoughts on this before I pop it in an email and fire it off.

Am I being unreasonable :?

Sir,

How is that a serviceman can shop in a local german supermarket and buy a UK based newspaper cheaper than they can at the NAAFI?

I refer to a recent article in the Sixth Sense highlighting that Celle's Real Supermarket now offer British publications which can be purchased tax free yet my own NAAFI doubles the price of every publication.
Following this theme, on a recent trip to JHQ I went into the NAAFI to purchase a copy of National Geographic and was quoted double the cover price as standard. I declined and walked to the American PX whereby I was able to purchase the same publication for almost a quarter of the NAAFI price (2 Euros!)

How can such prices be justified? I am sure the 'cost per unit' of a each newspaper is not that high. It is a blatant attempted monolopy because soldiers will pay for a newspaper from home.
When discussing the matter with a colleague more senior he politely reminded me that if the NAAI drop their prices then LOA will decrease in line. How can that be the case when those postings without a NAAFI (IE Kuwait) recieve far more LOA to purchase goods locally than we do in Germany. The theory does not hold water. Putting it bluntly - we are just being ripped off.

This is not an attempt to ask for more LOA.

No doubt the NAAFI representative will skirt the issue by talking about recent price cuts, special offers etc, none of which answer the complaint.

It's an economical kick in the balls :D
Add to this the fact that last week I went into the Naafi and purchased a copy of TV and Satellite weekly (cover price £1.35). When I went to the till it came up as 3.10 EUR.

I pointed out to the till operator that it should be 2.70 EUR and they agreed and reduced the price. Imagine my surprise when I went back this week and it still came up as 3.10 EUR. Once again they reduced the price and I suggested that perhaps they should reprogramme the tills toi the correct price. Guess what, blank looks all round. Wonder how many of those extra 40 cents they have had?

And another thing (while I'm on a roll) since the exchange rate has dropped from 1.50EUR to 1.28EUR I have not seen one everyday item (tea,milk, bread etc) fall in price.
 
#7
Why don't you also ask NAAFI why, if you give them a credit card for payment, they convert the Euro sum into Sterling - at their own peculiar rate (probably one to one by now). Present your credit card at the German shop and they charge you in Euros and let your credit card company do the exchange (AFTER ALL ... YOU'VE BOUGHT THE BL00DY GOODS IN EUROS - SO WHY NOT??!!).
 
#8
Like your letter - but it could do with a bit of tidying up...

If what you say is true (I left BF(G) a couple of years back) then it's worth a punt to Soldier. However, as you point out, the senior staff officer responsible for the trite answers published will have a get out clause. Here I suspect they might trot out SOFA.

The theoretical answer? Don't use the fukcing NAAFI. I know the practical answer for the average newly posted squaddie is that there's no alternative but if squaddies are being royally shafted by the NAAFI then Lords / Masters etc might have a go at trying to make REAL / ALDI etc more accessible (how about leting them open on camp?) and watch the NAAFI slowly, surely and hopefully metamorphose into a corner shop flogging Duty Frees.

One more point, JHQ NAAFI to the PX - that's one helluva tab isn't it?
 
#9
Oh and Heinz baked beans, tomato ketchup and HP sauce are cheaper in REAL too.

Got to stop now I'm having a panic attack
 
#14
I'm sure I saw a few letters like the one written by the OP in Sixth Sense, Soldier Mag etc when I was in (1998-2005)

The best one was the NAAFI when they started selling the original Xboxes - I think they were about £100 more than they were in Media Markt. My boss's wife wrote a letter to the Sixth Sense which got published. The reply was basically a load of garbage going on about shipping etc. Although I doubt it's changed that local german shops are cheaper than the NAAFI for everything from food to electronics stuff, anyway.
 
#16
Right FCUK it. Let's start making a list and I will bang them all into a super letter and send it off.

If I am gonna do this.. I am gonna need my arrse team
Arrse team assemble!
(If you don't now Anchorman get off the net and go and watch it)

Back to reality, If no joy then I will email NAAFI and publish their response on arrse.

Anyone got points PM me or print them here.

Letter goes out in one week.
 
#18
Dontdreamit said:
One more point, JHQ NAAFI to the PX - that's one helluva tab isn't it?
It was a reallllllllly good issue of 'National Geographic' :wink:
Must have been (what number was it) :D
 
#20
Cholmondley-Warner said:
Like your letter - but it could do with a bit of tidying up...

If what you say is true (I left BF(G) a couple of years back) then it's worth a punt to Soldier. However, as you point out, the senior staff officer responsible for the trite answers published will have a get out clause. Here I suspect they might trot out SOFA.

The theoretical answer? Don't use the fukcing NAAFI. I know the practical answer for the average newly posted squaddie is that there's no alternative but if squaddies are being royally shafted by the NAAFI then Lords / Masters etc might have a go at trying to make REAL / ALDI etc more accessible (how about leting them open on camp?) and watch the NAAFI slowly, surely and hopefully metamorphose into a corner shop flogging Duty Frees.

One more point, JHQ NAAFI to the PX - that's one helluva tab isn't it?
Just before I left, the NAAFI were trying to get the Sqn Bars closed so they had no competition when PAYD came in. I doubt they'd allow that.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 343
B Medals 6
Au_Courant Royal Signals 433

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top