Letter to OCs wife

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SilverBullet, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

Was invited for fizz and canapes at the OC's pad the other day. I'd like to thank his wife (as is proper) so does anyone know the format, what to call her (Mrs OC?), does it have to be handwritten (as I write like a drunken ant).

Help appreciated.

2. I share your affliction – doctor’s handwriting and dodgy spelling. Take it from Mrs Ned that any letter is better than none, typewritten or e-mail works and a simple thank-you (apology for misdemeanour if appropriate) is appreciated far more than something copied out of Debrett’s. As for what to call her – how did she introduce herself? Very few modern wives would be offended if you used her Christian (oops, sorry, “given”) name.
  3. Avoid email
  4. Whichever way you decide to write it, (not e-mail!), include a signature by hand to add a personal touch. At least then it doesn't appear you got some secretary or such to knock it out... sir.
  5. Some variation on below and handwritten is the best and correct way. Doesn't have to be an essay, 2 or 3 lines on a card is fine too and use her surname, first name is not okay!

Dear Mrs OC,

Thank you very much for your invitation to......... I particularly enjoyed............. and ...............

Thank you once again

Yours sincerely

6. The simple answer is to reply in the style of the invitation
  7. Thanks all... I think I have the gist of it now.

Dear Mrs <Surname>

Thanks for the invite, I particularly enjoyed the lapdance and boiled steak was an unusual treat.

Thanks again,

Marvellous... One final point...

I don't think she has access to a PRC349 but i'll give it a try! :biggrin:
  8. I wish I had a secretary to knock it out... Ooh er..

I think you should go above and beyond and if it was more than just yourself chip together and get her a nice bouquet of flowers.

OMG I've gone soft!
  9. Dear Mrs X
    Great swinger's party - by the way do you know who's got my car keys?
    Yours sincerely,
  10. When I've been in this situation a simple hand written thank you note inside a suitable greetings card goes down well.

Something along the lines of:

"Dear Mrs OC, Thanks for a very enjoyable evening. I'm sure the cat will recover and do you know any treatment for carpet burns? Regards Foz"
  11. I agree with Gentlesoul. Handwritten is most appropriate (if necessary get someone who can write to do it for you!) and you absolutely must not use her first name. Even if you got away with it at the party (you haven't actually said what kind of party it was...), you shouldn't do it in writing.

Beyond that, the styles above (excepting the carpet burns, the cat, and the car keys) are all acceptable.

12. of course, you should have written the next day........ but at least you are doing so.
  13. Don't wrap yourself around the axle on this - she'd really appreciate you sending a card saying "Dear Duckface, ... yours, Mellors", or whatever.

The main thing is you making the effort to say thanks for something they put on (and probably paid for themselves).

I'd suspect that she'd probably be quite embarrassed by being called "Mrs OC", and would prefer "Duckface".
  14. Nothing says "thanks" quite as effectively as a strippagram.

For a very reasonable sum, a young man will pop round and doff his kit for her, with "thanks Mrs OC" written on his buttocks.

It's worth paying extra for a spaffogram, where he'll knock one out over her frock in a Monica Lewinsky styleee.

Beats a card any day.