Letter to multiple ranks?

A quick question if i may, and apologies if this is the wrong section.

How do you start a letter to multiple ranks, commissioned and non-commissioned? To all, please excuse rank...?

Thanks

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I guess it partly depends on where you are in the food chain:

Colonels, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Alpha Squadron,

Or don't use any salutation just have 'see distribution'

If in doubt check JSP 101

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Im bottom of the food chain (at the weekends). But this is an email i am sending out in a civilian capacity.

Edit to add:

BuggerAll, i just re read your post. Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the one i was after. Thanks

Im bottom of the food chain (at the weekends). But this is an email i am sending out in a civilian capacity.

Edit to add:

BuggerAll, i just re read your post. Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the one i was after. Thanks
I would address it solely to the Senior Officer, the others will cope!

Im bottom of the food chain (at the weekends). But this is an email i am sending out in a civilian capacity about an event im organising.
No one in the ta are going to give a shit how they are addressed in an email.

My advice would be to grab their attention quickly... Something like "Listen up homies" they arn't exactly going to court martial you for it are they...

Does one ever really write a letter to lots of people?

I'd have thought that it's either a brief/memo - in which case just leave off the salutation and have a distribution list - or you're just copying lots of people in - in which case just address it to the main recipient.

I think Mattb is right. A letter is a format that you send to a single individual using a salutation like "Dear CGS". If you need to send copies of your letter to others and you want the recipient to know about it you might add a final paragraph along the lines of "I am sending a copy of this letter to the Military Secretary for enclosure on my P-file." If you are not quite sure why you are sending copies to others you could just add below your signature a list headed "Copies to:" or "Hidden Copies to:" if you don't want the main recipient to know about it. If you are writing to several people you should use a different format none of which require a salutation (eg memo, loose minute, routine letter).

Emails I start, Sir/Ma'am, All
Looks as though you're the first person in this thread who is actually in the 21st Century. "All" is the weapon of choice for electronic communication these days, preceded where necessary by "Sir", etc etc. Not quite JSP 101 but who reads that these days anyway........................

I always liked the Andrew's "D'ye hear there, D'ye hear there!" which presumably dates back to the 16th Century........

I think Mattb is right. A letter is a format that you send to a single individual using a salutation like "Dear CGS". If you need to send copies of your letter to others and you want the recipient to know about it you might add a final paragraph along the lines of "I am sending a copy of this letter to the Military Secretary for enclosure on my P-file." If you are not quite sure why you are sending copies to others you could just add below your signature a list headed "Copies to:" or "Hidden Copies to:" if you don't want the main recipient to know about it. If you are writing to several people you should use a different format none of which require a salutation (eg memo, loose minute, routine letter).
He's sending an email not a letter.

I guess it partly depends on where you are in the food chain:

Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please, please do not write that. The plural of 'Sir' is 'Gentlemen' (or sometimes 'Messrs' for the pretentious) and the plural of 'Madam' is 'Ladies'.

I am not actually a grammar Nazi, but this used to really grip my shit whenever I saw it.

As suggested elsewhere by MattB, use something like, 'Sir, Ladies and Gentlemen'. You may need to tailor this depending on how many royal personages, bishops, aristocrats, lord mayors and whatever else you have in your intended audience.

Edit to add:

My bold - perhaps it's an e-letter!

...unless you're an Artillery JNCO; apparently some unwitting Bombardier was once called forward at the start of the loading process by an RAF Mover having mistaken "Bdr" for Brigadier.

*"start" of the process of course meaning after any RAF personnel, NAAFI contractors, journos et al

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 4
gijoe Aviation 3
N The Training Wing 25