Letter to multiple ranks?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Aug 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick question if i may, and apologies if this is the wrong section.

How do you start a letter to multiple ranks, commissioned and non-commissioned? To all, please excuse rank...?

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Are you a RCT/RLC/RAF mover?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I guess it partly depends on where you are in the food chain:

Colonels, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Alpha Squadron,

Or don't use any salutation just have 'see distribution'

If in doubt check JSP 101

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. Im bottom of the food chain (at the weekends). But this is an email i am sending out in a civilian capacity.

Edit to add:

BuggerAll, i just re read your post. Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the one i was after. Thanks
  5. "Scuse ranks"?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I would address it solely to the Senior Officer, the others will cope!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yep, that's the one. Write to the boss and put the oiks on the distribution list.
  8. No one in the ta are going to give a shit how they are addressed in an email.

My advice would be to grab their attention quickly... Something like "Listen up homies" they arn't exactly going to court martial you for it are they...
  9. The quickest way to get a headbutt, that phrase.
  10. et al seems to be quite popular although I am not a fan of it myself. et al means and others.

eg - Sir et al,

11. Vile
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Does one ever really write a letter to lots of people?

I'd have thought that it's either a brief/memo - in which case just leave off the salutation and have a distribution list - or you're just copying lots of people in - in which case just address it to the main recipient.
  13. Emails I start, Sir/Ma'am, All
  14. I think Mattb is right. A letter is a format that you send to a single individual using a salutation like "Dear CGS". If you need to send copies of your letter to others and you want the recipient to know about it you might add a final paragraph along the lines of "I am sending a copy of this letter to the Military Secretary for enclosure on my P-file." If you are not quite sure why you are sending copies to others you could just add below your signature a list headed "Copies to:" or "Hidden Copies to:" if you don't want the main recipient to know about it. If you are writing to several people you should use a different format none of which require a salutation (eg memo, loose minute, routine letter).
  15. Looks as though you're the first person in this thread who is actually in the 21st Century. "All" is the weapon of choice for electronic communication these days, preceded where necessary by "Sir", etc etc. Not quite JSP 101 but who reads that these days anyway........................

I always liked the Andrew's "D'ye hear there, D'ye hear there!" which presumably dates back to the 16th Century........