Letter in the Times - Defence assets for tsunami rescue

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cyberhacker, Jan 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It made me chuckle...

See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1425814,00.html
    My emphasis :roll:

For someone in his position he should know better :evil:

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

What Position would that be? Never heard of him :?

3. Oops - cut the footer off :oops:
    Mind you, this makes him an academic, rather than someone who knows his arrse from his elbow :evil:

4. If I remember right, he was ex RCT

5. He was quite an explorer. Took an army team up Everest in the 70's when he was a captain in the RCT.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hooray! Another Mobilisation :D

Think what you'd be able to "swap" for a packet of Dumplings in Syrup out there :twisted:

7. Have I stumbled into the NAAFI by mistake? Or am I just reading very questionable taste into that comment? In any event, given the disaster that's just taken place, I'd rather be there than here just now. And it would be nice to see the armed forces being used for something even the Guardian and Independent would support.

8. Heard the same comment many times last night from TA soldiers.

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I entirely agree with Mr Hellberg.

I would like to know why we have not sent four, or perhaps even six of our Field Hospitals out to the area; afterall, they are not otherwise comitted at the moment as we all know that only a fraction of our medical units are currently in Iraq.

God Bless Mr Bliar, saviour of the world.

10. 307

307 War Hero

Do you think we can afford it, not a hope in hell, look at how much it would cost, I would rather have the right equipment than go hell for leather over their to be seen as doing the right thing

11. Hellberg commanded the RM logistics unit during Corporate. Seem to recall some favourable comments about him by Julian Thompson in No Picnic.

12. Mr Hellebrg has a starry eyed view of the magic remedy of desalination plants.

Desalination plants in ships make enough water for the ship’s company, augmentees and machinery requirements. Any extra allows for maintenance and breakdown periods of said plant or operating in coastal waters where increased pollution makes turning sea water into fresh a risky business regardless of sterilization procedures. SE Asian coastal waters will be especially polluted at the moment. Sterilisation will kill bacteria and viruses but have zero effect on chemical pollutants which also damage certain types of desalination plant (beyond repair).

Making water while at anchor isn’t recommended as the water maker intake may be contaminated by the sewage treatment plant outlet. Yum. If there is water to spare, it still has to get from the ship's tanks to a big enough shore reception. Is there a jetty left standing that a ship can berth on?

If a ship has the cargo capacity, better to store up with crates of bottled water. It's easier to get it ashore, keep sterile and easier to distribute.

13. You would rather have the right equipment 307? What "Right equipment" would that be

Seen to be doing the right thing And damn right too. Sri Lanka , formerly Ceylon is a BRITISH Commonwealth country. We should have been first on station , with the Indians and Australians, getting stuck in and showing as the head of the Commonwealth , we give a damn.

But hey , let's take our lead from the Prime Minister , who decided he'd rather be soaking up the Sun in Egypt, and leaving the effort to America.

Is Blair on a mission to marginalise Britain on the world stage?

Yes I did listen to the Today programme this morning, and the more I listen to the Celestial Charlatan , the more I realise he has indeed dumped the file marked "General Moral Obligations" in the circular cabinet.

I am damn sure I am not the only person feeling slightly embarrassed at my Governments' perceived sloth to act.

We should do the right thing , and we should be seen to be doing it.

14. All this is unneccessary - Our Lord & Saviour of Mankind, President Bliar is sending 100 Gurkas. Problem solved.

15. which were then turned down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4147619.stm

"They have accepted the idea of the two helicopters, but given the number of infantry soldiers already in the region, they felt further ground troops weren't required."

A Downing Street spokesman added the government was "relaxed" about the decision, saying it was up to the Indonesian government to decide what type of assistance was needed.

clearly downing street are all smoking their "it's not my problem, i'll do something tomorrow maybe" fags again.