Letter from HM Revenue re data loss

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by a_nony_mouse, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I was delighted to receive my personal apology from Dave Harnett, Acting Chairman, for losing my Child Benefit details. His handwriting is as close as anyone could get to writing in Helvetica and as security is now obviously tighter, he is using his invisible signature.

Concerned as I am, it is nice to know that they have sorted themselves out and had the courtesy to send this letter out to me at my old address!!!!

Should I be worried :roll:

2. Request an assessment from the Commissioner on the basis that the seventh principle of data protection has ben breached.

Request for assessment A request may be made to the Commissioner by or on behalf of any person who is, or believes himself to be, directly affected by any processing of personal data for an assessment as to whether it is likely or unlikely that the processing has been or is being carried out in compliance with the provisions of this Act

The seventh principle

Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_1

Why bother. Well, if everybody does, not only will it provide a massive headache for HMG it will also serve notice of what may arise if the ID Scheme is implemented.

3. Thanks, I'm hoping that the ID Scheme dismissal may be the one good thing to come out of this fiasco!

4. How about the 3rd Principle?

3 Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

Surely HMCR broke that by failing to remove data that the NAO had not asked for?

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

5 million 2nd class stamps. It's bad enough them using my money to subsidise you buggers, now their using it to dig Royal Mail out of a hole.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I thought they used TNT. Perhaps they could blow the bloody lot up.

7. Mrs Jockster received her apology today and is really please at the short time frame it has taken them, after all this, fiasco only happened in October! Sarcasm off.

Jockster

8. It's worse than that, they didn't put enough postage on so that'll be £1 per letter, sent out, from you please :wink:

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Take my IOU. I'll pay up when I get the state pension. :x

10. Shouldn't that be "if" :wink: