Letter From America ... Alistair Cook 1946 - 2004

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Border_Reiver, Nov 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alistair Cooke Letter From America
    Not quite sure where to post this but thought those of a certain age may find this link interesting …

BBC Radio 4 - Letter from America by Alistair Cooke

…. it contains all of his “ letters “ as broadcast from 1946 until 2004 . It is possible to listen and download transcripts .

I was an avid fan from the early 60's and listened to him for many years .
  2. He was a genius broadcaster the likes of which we'll never see again.
  3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

The amount of times I drove like a lunatic from Derry so I could catch Letter from America from the far side of Dungiven. That got me down the Glenshane on many a rotten friday night. And home.

Then I got to meet the miserable, ignorant,arse faced self important little **** blart. What a waste of 30 seconds that was.
    By way of stunned apology I did get afternoon drinkies with Charlie Wheeler an officer, gentleman and a real hoot.
  4. Saddened to hear that Cooke appears to have been a prat in real life .

Charles Wheeler I remember well as an urbane , confident , worldly wise BBC Foreign Correspondent … someone who you could have total confidence in when he was giving a report on some current crisis .
  5. I always loved the intro "This is the Home and General Overseas Service of the BBC.........Letter from America, by Alister Cook,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(prog),Good evening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
  6. It is not always good to meet your heroes. I read in a biography about him that there was some doubt over his decision to stay in the US during the war, when other Brits abroad were coming back to join up. May be wind and wuthering, but did always colour my opinion of him.
  7. I share that view. In my school days his 'Letter from America' on the radio was a heads up that I should have left 5 minutes earlier scuttling for a bus to the Waterside. I have a book with some of his more memorable 15 minute sessions laid out. He did write well and was especially marvellous at painting pictures with words. His anglo American voice was suited to radio.

The Establishment seemed to have the hang up of his stay in America when others were returning home to war and more so when he surrendered his Brit nationality. Fair play he had been living in the states since the late '30's.