Letter bomb expodes in Victoria

I feared the worst when i read the title, luckily it seems as though no-one has been killed, only one person injured and i wish her a speedy recovery.

Remeber how the tube bombings where first reported as power-outages on the lines?

Yep, know about them i was caught up in them. Sadly now it comes as no surprise i was more surprised that the letter bomb was that minor. Unfortunately its a sign of the times and living in London we have become (as much as one can) used to all this. I wish the lady a speedy recovery but fear it won't be too long till we have another, lets just hope no one gets hurt.

The device was sent to Capita, the company that collects the Congestion Charge for London and operates TV Licencing for the BBC, amongst other things.

The list of suspects is likely to be very long.

ViroBono said:
The device was sent to Capita, the company that collects the Congestion Charge for London and operates TV Licencing for the BBC, amongst other things.

The list of suspects is likely to be very long.
Is that 50 Windsor House? I know transport for london are in that building. My father used to work in that building before Transport for London decided they needed the entire thing.
How he's just down the road, same building as Tory Head Office unfortunately for him.
However, he's not there today, which puts the mind at ease.

A letter bombing campaign? Why target innocent people? No matter what a company does, and in this country it really can't be *that* terrible, what the hell did that woman ever do to deserve being injured?

People are beyond belief at times.

Wishing a speedy recovery to the woman injured, and castration/female circumcison to the perpetrator

SparkySteve said:
I feared the worst when i read the title, luckily it seems as though no-one has been killed, only one person injured and i wish her a speedy recovery.

Remeber how the tube bombings where first reported as power-outages on the lines?
What would you rather?

That they announced that bombs were being detonated on the underground and risked a mass of people rushing to clamber out of there.....or announce a power surge and get everyone out calmly (albeit moaning their heads off)?

The power surge angle was due to confusion and to get everyone out of the underground without causing mass hysteria.

I fail to see how that compares to a letter bomb going off today, the effects of which is minute in comparison to the tube bombings.

I work just round the corner from where that letter bomb went off and it's absolute chaos! We have been told not to use the lifts, to close all blinds and not to go near the windows. Plus there are loads of police, ambulance and fire engines on the scene - and all this for a letter bomb!

Bomb disposal have also turned up. I'll give them a special wave from all on aarse!

Sentinel said:
I work just round the corner from where that letter bomb went off and it's absolute chaos! We have been told not to use the lifts, to close all blinds and not to go near the windows. Plus there are loads of police, ambulance and fire engines on the scene - and all this for a letter bomb!

Bomb disposal have also turned up. I'll give them a special wave from all on aarse!
Im in Victoria too - and I've seen nowt

someone works near by? Blim me but I used to work in that building. What a lucky escape I have had, as I was last in there not four years ago. I must have an angel or something...

Moodybitch said:
SparkySteve said:

What would you rather?

That they announced that bombs were being detonated on the underground and risked a mass of people rushing to clamber out of there.....or announce a power surge and get everyone out calmly (albeit moaning their heads off)?

The power surge angle was due to confusion and to get everyone out of the underground without causing mass hysteria.

I fail to see how that compares to a letter bomb going off today, the effects of which is minute in comparison to the tube bombings.
Fair one, i agree with reporting it as outages to keep the other public away, but the people already on the system, wouldn't have access to television / internet (possibly radio as well, not sure if you can get FM reception in the tunnels) therefore the use of misinformation such as that would not help the people already on the trains. (Did i just say that twice?)

The effects of the tube bombings were devasting, and terrible, but there is a comparison in that it is an act of terror, designed to cause disruption by death / injury.

Im not having a go mate, i just don't like seeing London getting twatted.

Cuddles said:
someone works near by? Blim me but I used to work in that building. What a lucky escape I have had, as I was last in there not four years ago. I must have an angel or something...
The only Angel you ever had in your life Cuddles was the Angel Delight that you scoffed rather too much off when you were a kid.

Me neither.

I was on the underground at the time of the bombings and I can assure you that when we were being evacuated, had they told us what had really happened there would have been chaos down there. It was bad enough getting thousands of people out when we thought it was a power surge.....telling us the truth would have been a disaster.

As for the misreporting to those not on the underground, well to be fair mate - the exploding bus about 10 mins later would have put paid to any misconceptions about what was going on.

I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to mislead people, but London was not exactly prepared for that to happen and I for one do not have a problem with how it was handled in the initial stages.

Moodybitch said:
SparkySteve said:

What would you rather?

surely then they should have said straight away that the brazilian de Menezes chap was just an innocent, rather than saying he was a suicide bomber, in order to minimise panic :)

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Moodybitch said:
SparkySteve said:

What would you rather?

surely then they should have said straight away that the brazilian de Menezes chap was just an innocent, rather than saying he was a suicide bomber, in order to minimise panic :)
The shooting of Mr Menezes, while a woeful co ck up, is hardly comparible to the intial reports of tube bombings, killing tens of people and requiring the evacuation of thousands during rush hour.

The menezes report followed after the tube bombings...when hysteria was at its height anyway.

I don't think it's a reasonable comparision, but no doubt you will scoff at my intelligence and educate me on this matter :)

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Moodybitch said:
SparkySteve said:

What would you rather?

surely then they should have said straight away that the brazilian de Menezes chap was just an innocent, rather than saying he was a suicide bomber, in order to minimise panic :)[/quote]

Cracking good thinking there ceiling.
You obviously don't work for the government.

Again im jumping in here, but De Menezes wouldn't have been shot if the bombings had'nt have happened the week before, therefore is related. I had a similar reaction to the one i had when the bombings happened, the car had been found in Luton (With the components inside, absolute nightmare driving home that night!) and the second wave of bombing attempts (For which the people on trial should hang for). The scale is not comprable, granted, but the very idea of another sort of "attack" (I know it isn't one, but when you hear "Explosion in London!" what do you think?)

SparkySteve said:
Again im jumping in here, but De Menezes wouldn't have been shot if the bombings had'nt have happened the week before, therefore is related. I had a similar reaction to the one i had when the bombings happened, the car had been found in Luton (With the components inside, absolute nightmare driving home that night!) and the second wave of bombing attempts (For which the people on trial should hang for). The scale is not comprable, granted, but the very idea of another sort of "attack" (I know it isn't one, but when you hear "Explosion in London!" what do you think?)
I think, it best not be the eastbound circle line else I'm fcuked for getting home ;)

In all seriousness,...it's the fact that it is suicide bombings which makes us/the media hysterical and paranoid. We are experiencing less in the way of bombings here than we did with the IRA...yet for some reason we are more scared than we were.

To be fair though, like anything, you get used to it, and life doesn't stop because some nutjob wants to blow himself up along with many innocent bystanders.

So no, if I hear a report of "an explosion in London"...while it will get my attention..I don't automatically get the fear and grab a taxi home instead of the tube.