Let's talk about Lowa..

Another hobbit footed size 11 here, I have been all but living in renegades for the last few years and like thegimp I was wondering about a pair of the zephyrs as I am grubbing around salt water a fair bit so the non metal lacing would be handy. Width wise do they fit pretty much the same as the renegades?

Also are they noticeably cooler on the feet, they will be used in Britain in the summer so probably not much of an issue but it would be nice to hear how they stack up against the renegades?

Thanks.
The Renegade weighs in at 735gms for a single boot.

The Zephyr weighs in at 625gms for a single boot.

I live in Texarrse where in the summer it gets up to touch a very humid 45C in east Texarrse and is dry and dusty in west Texarrse.

At the moment it is -4C and I am wearing the Renegades as they are warmer, and goretex.

The Zephyrs felt a bit larger/looser than the Renegades at first. It may be that as they are made from more fabric they felt looser, I do not notice it any more. I just sat myself down and tried both pairs on and they pretty much feel the same as to size/pressure, front to back and side to side.

I hate sweaty feet, the Zephyrs have done the job for me over the last two summers. Being more fabric they would let wet feet dry quicker.

I recently deployed somewhere hot n dusty. I decided to buy myself a pair of lightweight and highly breathable boots as i didn’t want my feet suffering too much in the heat and I knew I would only be in an established base for most of the time. I decided to go with a pair of Lowa Innox gtx in coyote brown. What I didn’t t realise is that these things are basically a pair of 6 inch high trainers. They have no reinforcement in the toe what so ever. The terrain cutting round camp was mainly gravel/rubble nothing major but within two weeks of wear the soles had massive chunks missing out of them and the sole and midsole started to split at the join between the two different types of foam/rubber used. Luckily the guys @ PolMil were excellent and contacted Lowa to organise a replacement pair. Unfortunately the same thing happened within two more weeks. These are extremely comfy but only of use is you are sticking to walking on tarmac and need a pair of combat slippers. I certainly do not believe they are worth the £140 price tag. I have always used Lowa Mountain gtx for my usual boots I. The UK and found them to be excellent all round apart from being a little heavy but it’s a sacrifice worth making for a quality heavy duty boot.

I recently deployed somewhere hot n dusty. I decided to buy myself a pair of lightweight and highly breathable boots as i didn’t want my feet suffering too much in the heat and I knew I would only be in an established base for most of the time. I decided to go with a pair of Lowa Innox gtx in coyote brown. What I didn’t t realise is that these things are basically a pair of 6 inch high trainers. They have no reinforcement in the toe what so ever. The terrain cutting round camp was mainly gravel/rubble nothing major but within two weeks of wear the soles had massive chunks missing out of them and the sole and midsole started to split at the join between the two different types of foam/rubber used. Luckily the guys @ PolMil were excellent and contacted Lowa to organise a replacement pair. Unfortunately the same thing happened within two more weeks. These are extremely comfy but only of use is you are sticking to walking on tarmac and need a pair of combat slippers. I certainly do not believe they are worth the £140 price tag. I have always used Lowa Mountain gtx for my usual boots I. The UK and found them to be excellent all round apart from being a little heavy but it’s a sacrifice worth making for a quality heavy duty boot.
When you get to the stage that your mountain GTX are knackered and you are thinking about binning them that is when you send them to Lowa. They will more or less rebuild/refinish the boot to good condition for much less than the cost of a new pair.

The certain boxheads get issued with the leather Lowa style boots. The contract for the boot is filled by Lowa, Meindl and Haix, you cannot tell who made the boot as they look identical made to contract standard. Mountain troops and speshul people get issued with the boot, as such everyone else thinks it is ally so they try and blag a pair from the QM. or spend their own money.

I bought a pack of high merino content wooly socks that are a size too small for my size 11 hobbit feet, so you could even (in the manner of a true penny pinching, porridge wog) ask me to donate them to the winner*. Ideal as socks up to a size 10, thumbless mittens, or even gucci w*nking socks.

Note: * Excluding the pair I wore.
if you only wore them it's ok

Last edited:
When you get to the stage that your mountain GTX are knackered and you are thinking about binning them that is when you send them to Lowa. They will more or less rebuild/refinish the boot to good condition for much less than the cost of a new pair.

The certain boxheads get issued with the leather Lowa style boots. The contract for the boot is filled by Lowa, Meindl and Haix, you cannot tell who made the boot as they look identical made to contract standard. Mountain troops and speshul people get issued with the boot, as such everyone else thinks it is ally so they try and blag a pair from the QM. or spend their own money.
Highly reccommend these guys for refurbing, resoling your decent boots
LSR kit repairers

Do the zeffyrs have a wide fit? do they ease of with use and is there some distance in the lacing system?
The Zephyrs do not come in a specific wide last or sole - there will be a bit of give in the side of the boot due to the thickness of leather involved in the manufacture & the monowrap frame.

Lowa have decided to discontinue the current Lowa Innox and have replaced it with a new version called the Innox Pro - thicker upper, better sole etc

Sat on n an airport with an itchy credit card and can’t ******* find any Zeffyr GTX in olive or sage size 12 for love nor money. What’s with all the mixed sizes. U.K./US/EU

Any links pimped gratefully accepted

Sat on n an airport with an itchy credit card and can’t ******* find any Zeffyr GTX in olive or sage size 12 for love nor money. What’s with all the mixed sizes. U.K./US/EU

You will not be able to buy them here in the UK as there is no real market for the olive green/sage coloured boots so as a result we do not import them. These boots are primarily aimed at the US market so it may be worth having look at the Lowa US dealer Welcome to LOWA Boots USA | LOWA Boots USA

Started out with a pair of black Lowa Mountain for the field more years ago than I care to mention and wore them constantly, despite my SSM commenting that they looked like they should come with a set of callipers.

At the time they far exceeded the comfort and water proofing offered by the issue boots, also as stated earlier more suited those of us with a broader (flipper) feet.

These have changed from Black to Brown and a pair of Lowa Jungle added for cutting about camp

While Alt Berg are great boots I still think Lowa's are worth the investment, that and bridgdale socks. Now my only none issue items, well apart from the beret (Herbie J).

YM

I hate you and all you stand for. Give me a pair or I will post another shitty review for your Aviemore hovel on TripAdvisor
You haven't been reviewing any fishing tackle shops over the past few years have you?

Last edited:
Wonder if I will be able to get mine exchanged/refunded seeing as they’re not fit for any purpose other than staying in the house?
The normal procedure would be to contact the retailer from whom you bought the boots with proof of purchase and liaise with that particular retailer under their relevant returns procedure as they may be refunded/replaced under the warranty scheme offered by Lowa. Are you able to confirm where and when you bought the boots from ? Lowa have recently amended the warranty procedures so theywill need a copy of the invoice, receipt or proof of purchase along with the following images:

• Picture of entire boot
• Picture of internal size label
• Picture of actual defect
• Picture of complete sole unit

Beliebte Schuhe : Herren Designerschuhe, Stiefel und Anziehschuhe Lowa Stiefel Zephyr Mid TF Sage

Here is one for you.

Put in the search term: Suche lowa zephyr stiefel in sage grun / oliv

That way you will kick up dealers in Germany.

This one, Cop Shop, is a respectable company: Einsatzstiefel LOWA Zephyr GTX® Mid TF, sage

I bit the bullet and got a desert coloured pair off

Police, Military, Outdoor & Camping Equipment | Polimil

Cracking next day service despite putting the order in literally a minute before their cut off.

Zephyrs are a great fit for my wide plates, super comfy.

They seem almost overly padded across the tongue and I expect them to become a soggy saggy mess if they get wet and take days to dry out.

Hate the aesthetics of them though. I know looks shouldn’t count but they do

I think perhaps the higher leg version would appeal a bit more to me.

They are lighter than my normal boots though

In other news I got waist deep goffered by a freak wave last week and my lowa Hunter gtx are still ******* wet and pumping out salt stains.

Mmm, Lowas. Love them.

Simply put the Germans know their boot. I was issued black Lowa Goretex Mountains and could drive, walk and stomp about the countryside without issue. AFAIK the boots had a system which pumped the moisture laden inside air through the padded cuff which had punched vents. Never had the damp feet that GTX boots gave me.

The comfort from the shank stiffness combined with the rolling gait of the sole meant I spent my own money on Lowa Mountain in a green/brown nubuck for away from work.
Snaffled by my son and gone.

Only thing they did badly on was Avgas handling... Totalled the soles in jig time.

Cue another request for boots and any size 9 friend getting a pair with a point in the direction of a cheap resole ....

I also bought a pair of new surplus Lowa deserts for a planned walk through Jordan.

Mmm, Lowas. Love them.

Simply put the Germans know their boot. I was issued black Lowa Goretex Mountains and could drive, walk and stomp about the countryside without issue. AFAIK the boots had a system which pumped the moisture laden inside air through the padded cuff which had punched vents. Never had the damp feet that GTX boots gave me.

The comfort from the shank stiffness combined with the rolling gait of the sole meant I spent my own money on Lowa Mountain in a green/brown nubuck for away from work.
Snaffled by my son and gone.

Only thing they did badly on was Avgas handling... Totalled the soles in jig time.

Cue another request for boots and any size 9 friend getting a pair with a point in the direction of a cheap resole ....

I also bought a pair of new surplus Lowa deserts for a planned walk through Jordan.
Works best with the correct Lowa insole that comes with the boot. The insole has ridges on the bottom which allow the air to circulate under the foot too. The action of putting your foot down squidges air out of the boot, lifting the foot sucks fresh air into the boot - you don't notice it happening but, as you say nicely dry feet at the end of the day.