Let's talk about Lowa..

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Because why not? Yes, this is clearly a post aimed at advertising Lowa, but whatcha gonna do about it, punk? :D

Just stumbled across the Task Force Distribution stand at SCTX today with Scott Jones at the helm as always (Not @Helm, we don't want him in here, he'll just try to win a pair).

We have a number of old Lowa reviews and some archived after the great database disaster of 2016, but we're going to look at getting some of them updated as well as a review of the current Zephyr boot.

Lowa Zephyr GTX® Mid

Does anyone remember what Lowas were on issue in 2008 for Telic? Comfy as slippers, though had the same protective merits as slippers! I think they may have been a UOR if I recall correctly.

Anyway, this is ARRSE - it's not all about a big love in. Feel free to post your own Lowa experiences good or bad, and the best one (i.e not Helms) will win a pair (of socks from Asda.. wtf do you this is?!)

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I hate you and all you stand for. Give me a pair or I will post another shitty review for your Aviemore hovel on TripAdvisor

ugly

LE
Bastard, I am too poor to buy them and too old to have been issued a pair!

My best Lowa experience was getting a hand-me-down of my Dad's Lowa ski boots (c.1990) after he bought himself a new pair.

They were inflatable; you got a little bulb that plugged into a valve at the back of the boot, and pumped them up to a perfect fit. Comfy as f***, fit like a glove, and managed the trick of supporting a hard day's skiing while not crippling you when you undid the buckles and tried to walk in them.

They did me for nearly ten years until I could afford a shiny set with a higher cut, and moulded insole. Yeah, the new ones turn easier, but they're nowhere near as comfortable...

Lowa Zephyr GTX mid are my ‘go to’ boot. ‘Acquired’ a pair of desert ones (not goretex) and bought myself the black ones for hill walking. Never had a problem. Never had a blister. Love them.

My best Lowa experience was getting a hand-me-down of my Dad's Lowa ski boots (c.1990) after he bought himself a new pair.

They were inflatable; you got a little bulb that plugged into a valve at the back of the boot, and pumped them up to a perfect fit. Comfy as f***, fit like a glove, and managed the trick of supporting a hard day's skiing while not crippling you when you undid the buckles and tried to walk in them.

They did me for nearly ten years until I could afford a shiny set with a higher cut, and moulded insole. Yeah, the new ones turn easier, but they're nowhere near as comfortable...
The inflatable function should also have provided the most effective insulation from cold.

I have lowas for all seasons and work environments.
My kit pervert lizard brain keeps saying get a lightweight pair of go fasters but my asthetic brain says WTF are those plastic bits on the zephyrs

Current Lowas

Hunter GTX® Evo Extreme. My favourite pair of Lowa. on second set of soles fitted by lancashire kit repairs

A pair of Lowa mountains glued into yeti gaiters for extended wet shitshows

Lowa elite desert.........................desert work

Lowa elite desert...................transition zone sea/desert/boat work. Seem impervious to salt water

Would the zephyrs do for lightweight estuary and beach hound walking

Strange fact. I've never laced a pair of lowas up passed the open lace hooks at ankle level however high the boot goes

Colour me b'stard.:p

And it is not for the poseur value 'cos americans do not know what they are.

I still swap out the insoles for quality trainer insoles.

Edit to add: I only swap out the insoles of the renegades & zephyrs not the leather boots. The sole design for the leather boots keeps air flowing to keep your feet well ventilated.

Last edited:
Bastard, I am too poor to buy them and too old to have been issued a pair!
German and Austrian ebay you will sometimes find contract over runs, old stock, or boxhead squaddies firing stuff out the backdoor of the QM.

I've a few pairs of Lowa Zephyrs & a pair of Z-6S and I wear very little else these days.
I used to get cheapo Karrimors from Sports Direct but since taking the plunge I've never looked back.

The only issue is sizing.
The Z-6S boots are 8.5 as is customary for me and boots as I always drop a 1/2 size and they're still really roomy inside but have to be worn with thick socks to be comfortable. These are a bit more robust than the Zephyr so are my hiking, dog walking, out doors boot.

The Zephyrs on the other hand; I began with a pair of desert non GTX boots in size 9 and can only comfortably wear them with thin socks.
I have 2 pairs of the GTX boots, one desert, one brown. the desert at size 9.5 needs thick socks and feel very long on the foot for a 1/2 size difference while the brown can be worn with thin socks and are a perfect fit despite being the same length.

Their laces tend to be a bit on the skinny side too, I tend to replace them with something thicker.

In case you think I have money to splurge on boots , just keep an eye on Ebay and you will pick up a pair for around the £60-70 mark. well worth it IMHO opinion as there is no comparison to the Karrimor junk I used to wear.
There is also a Russian knock off brand on ebay called Alligator that look just like them with a different tread pattern for about £80 a pop if you're a gambler. Personally I'll stick with the gen ones.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do lowa do a version of these?

n01pa141500s.jpg

More my style these days.

ugly

LE
German and Austrian ebay you will sometimes find contract over runs, old stock, or boxhead squaddies firing stuff out the backdoor of the QM.
I can get refunds from the shoot for any kit bought. I have 4 pairs of Le Chameaux I'm slowly trashing.

Anyway, this is ARRSE - it's not all about a big love in. Feel free to post your own Lowa experiences good or bad, and the best one (i.e not Helms) will win a pair (of socks from Asda.. wtf do you this is?!)
I bought a pack of high merino content wooly socks that are a size too small for my size 11 hobbit feet, so you could even (in the manner of a true penny pinching, porridge wog) ask me to donate them to the winner*. Ideal as socks up to a size 10, thumbless mittens, or even gucci w*nking socks.

Note: * Excluding the pair I wore.

ugly

LE
I wonder how modern military sizing works now? I used to take 11m after going up a size in basic, in came BCH and I took 282/102 whatever that was. I tend to fit an 11 UK for most stuff but Dubarrys are a pinch on one foot!

Do the zeffyrs have a wide fit? do they ease of with use and is there some distance in the lacing system?

Do the zeffyrs have a wide fit? do they ease of with use and is there some distance in the lacing system?
No tmk.

A bit, but having worn them over extended periods, I've never had to re-tighten the laces.

I put a knot in the end of the lace. The last are lace holes, not cleats, so the laces are long enough to keep in the holes and remove the boots, but not stupidly long when tying up.

Colour me b'stard.:p

And it is not for the poseur value 'cos americans do not know what they are.

I still swap out the insoles for quality trainer insoles.
Another hobbit footed size 11 here, I have been all but living in renegades for the last few years and like thegimp I was wondering about a pair of the zephyrs as I am grubbing around salt water a fair bit so the non metal lacing would be handy. Width wise do they fit pretty much the same as the renegades?

Also are they noticeably cooler on the feet, they will be used in Britain in the summer so probably not much of an issue but it would be nice to hear how they stack up against the renegades?

Thanks.

Latest Threads