lets go down the pub and have a fag

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by once_a_maverick, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good luck to these fellas.

Especially the non smoking barman.

"SMOKERS will be able to enjoy a pint – and a cigarette – when a Rastrick pub re-opens tomorrow evening.
    The former Mellor's Bar in New Hey Road has been re-named The Puff Inn and smoking rebel Stuart Smith, who has already appeared at court for allowing smokers in pubs at Greetland and Huddersfield, is giving the new venture his full backing.
    But the man behind the bar is his friend, former professional rugby player and non-smoker Gil Cushing.
    When the bar opens at 5pm tomorrow Mr Cushing will be serving pints dressed as Richard the Lionheart while Mr Smith, dressed as St George, will be having a drink and a cigarette with the customers.
    The two men took part in a similar stunt earlier this month when Mr Smith, of Halifax, turned up at Huddersfield Magistrates' Court on horse back dressed as St George, supported by his 'merry men' including Mr Cushing dressed as Richard the Lionheart.
    Mr Cushing, who is 26 and has previously run a pub, will be applying for the license for the premises. He accepted he would probably be the next one before the courts."

smoking pub

2. he's got his historical charactors a bit mixed up, St George and his merry men?
    Was Dickie the Lionheart one of Robin Hoods merry men?

3. Give it a few years it'll be 'Let's go down the pub for some fresh air and a fruit based soft drink'.
    God, I hate this govt.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If he gets a fine, he'll have no choice but to cough up.

Ahhh, my coat, thanks.

5. I hate the gubbermint too Speedy... but it seems to be happening everywhere... not just the U.K.

Personally I have been a non smoker for the past couple of weeks or so.. so don't give a fek... I did enjoy being able to visit bars in France without the smell of tobacco being an added temptation... however can't understand how a commercial ship, operated by PO Ferries, traveling between 2 countries operating similar smoking bans.... seem to be exempt from these laws.

6. That's given me an idea.... You used to have to go outside the territorial limits to gamble not so many years ago and pirate radio [Caroline] was outside terrtorial waters when commercial stations were banned. Pehaps some entrepreneur can organize smokers trips 5 miles off the coast [coupled with a glorious 'knocking shop' sea festival]

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Excellent idea forget the booze cruise its the turn of the "nautical fag break" or is that something else? :wink: guess I'll have to ask a matlow :twisted:

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nah. Robin was a Brit Hoodie. Richard was a Frenchman who set foot in England twice then bankrupted us by getting nicked and ransomed by Ze Chermans. A proper EU protest then.

In other news, anybody tried the new smoking terrace on top of Harvey Nics? Delightful, and you can throw your fag ends onto ponces walking along Knightsbridge.