Let's discuss Autism

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
12, but I can see the answers that would give me a comfortable 50. Does this mean I have hidden autism?

I have a nephew who, at the hight of the Autism diagnosis craze told me that it made him special and he would have an incredible career in IT (he spent every night playing games on a laptop)

He now stacks shelves in a supermarket. I am still a banker.
Your a what?

1582627323476.png

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Son diagnosed 13 years ago, now 24, in some ways he's 10. Special schools, PIP, ESA, not able to work.

Daughter diagnosed 5 years ago, now 27, married, just about coping.

Wife diagnosed 4 years ago, Almost 50, registered carer for son. Knowing explains a lot.

Son, diagnosed a few months ago, now 19. Fairly neurotypical, but has his ways and cannot handle deviation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Both mine are now diagnosed the past couple of years after a 4 year wait.
Son 13 diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD and my 8 year old Daughter, diagnosed with Autism with no added info of were she fits on the spectrum.

The wee lads a full blown recluse, who has no wish to interact with anyone, unless they share his common interests at that particular time.
The wee girl is a sociable wee dote but very in your face and constantly demanding attention.
Both had speech problems and although the wee girl has been dismissed from the schools speech theraphy, still struggles with some phonetics..ie drops an s, at the start of a word.

I definitely think she has the higher functioning Autism out of the both kids..I worry about my Son potentially going it alone, in the big bad world at times as he just switches off most of the time and is so lax and clumsy around the house.

Chef

LE
Down thread it was mentioned that knowledge/education helps with acceptance.

One of the Chefette's mates is autistic and having been pre-warned I knew he wasn't being rude when he left our gaff saying

'Goodbye'.

As he walked past on the way out.

I get the feeling he obeys the letter of the law without knowing/understanding the spirit behind it. I hope that makes sense.

Aware that the online test is not a diagnosis, I took it twice, the second time about 30 minutes later. Although some of my answers may have been slightly different both my scores were identical.

View attachment 451972

Reading some of the comments written by some of the people who have said they are on the spectrum, I recognise some of them in myself.
Assuming that the test is valid and that my score is accurate...it might explain why I like reducing work situations to a flow chart or a 2 x 2 matrix.

It might also explain why others don’t always follow the logic.

Sentinel

Old-Salt
I got diagnosed with Asperger's 12 years ago totally by accident. I was drinking everyday to cope with stress / depression / anxiety which is a big no no in the transport industry. However, I admitted by problem went to HR and obviously someone there saw something in me and I saw a psychologist 2-3 times and back came the diagnosis of Asperger's. To be honest, I'd never heard of this asparagus thing but when I went to the internet I was amazed at what I was reading. I was a late developer in learning to speak, I used to line up all my toys in order, obsessed with certain things, socially awkward, getting bullied at school. It was all there laid out like a life story. Not everything fits of course and I'm not the top of my tree in my chosen field (working on that, still 25 years until I retire!) but enough to understand why I am like I am.

I had thought of posting on the "Going Dry" thread a number of times as I have struggled a lot with alcohol as it can take away a lot of stress, help to get to sleep etc. but it's a viscous circle which doesn't work.

As far as the army is concerned, I joined the reserves at the age of 27 because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and I'm still in and enjoying every minute of it. But I couldn't have joined at the age of 18 because I took things literally. If I had been shouted at during basic training for having a slight smear on my cap badge and caused a filthy disgusting mong for not trying I would have taken it very personally and been in tears. But at the age of 27 I suppressed a smile took it on the chin and thought "they really do do that don't they?" as kit was thrown out of the window again. I would caution against anyone on the spectrum from joining the forces to early, Give it a few years and then see what you can achieve, those extra years will make a lot of difference.

Nah.
I'm really shit at it.
Gets me out of the house and away from swmbo though.
I feel for you. I go to a local bar instead though, for a therapeutic ale or several

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Down thread it was mentioned that knowledge/education helps with acceptance.

One of the Chefette's mates is autistic and having been pre-warned I knew he wasn't being rude when he left our gaff saying

'Goodbye'.

As he walked past on the way out.

I get the feeling he obeys the letter of the law without knowing/understanding the spirit behind it. I hope that makes sense.
You're lucky he said "goodbye". I'm sure there's plenty of kids and teenagers who nonchalantly wander in and out of each others homes without saying a word!

Having read this thread, done the test and been subjected to years of teasing by my daughter, it’s probably about time I stood up and admitted it.

I am the urban spaceman and I am autistic.

Having said that there’s no way on earth that I’m going to seek diagnosis or medical help at this stage in life. As has been said before, education leads to understanding, which in turn leads to acceptance.

33 for me, I do suffer with discalcula but never thought I was anywhere near ‘the scale’, I just thought I was a neat freak when it comes to organising things

33 for me, I do suffer with discalcula but never thought I was anywhere near ‘the scale’, I just thought I was a neat freak when it comes to organising things
Same here. Dyscalculic.
Not a neat freak though. That and being a right clumsy bugger. A fine fettling tool for me is a sledgehammer.

Yokel

LE
Autistic like traits can be acquired after damage to the brain, particularly the frontal lobes. Parts of the brain used for social interaction get damaged, and as the brain recovers from injuries social functions can get crowded out. Any sort of brain injury can cause this.

Before you ask I grew up with a brain injury and assessment reveals autistic.

Autistic like traits can be acquired after damage to the brain, particularly the frontal lobes. Parts of the brain used for social interaction get damaged, and as the brain recovers from injuries social functions can get crowded out. Any sort of brain injury can cause this.

Before you ask I grew up with a brain injury and assessment reveals autistic.

Same here..... that why i can tell that yours is a feeble and transparent excuse to justify your shit posts :cool: