Let's discuss Autism

Only got a 10 I shall bow out having no experience on which to make comment, I know that doesn’t usually stop people but this is a serious subject so I am off.

Long time lurker but first time posting.

I did the test and got 30. Last time i did it a couple of years ago I got 29.

I do have access to my social services reports from when i was a child and some of the paperwork does scream out autism.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Give this a try when U have a moment guys:

I got a 41 out of 50
37 here although very few of my answers were "definites". I think a lot of people with mild Aspergers traits, as opposed to autism, learn to moderate some behaviours.

Our grandson was/is always special. We initially thought he was deaf, because he wouldn't react when you called him. He would often stare into space, what I always likened to a kid "day dreaming" in my day.

Fortunately, he was diagnosed early, and has had some great help and support, don't be scared of being a pain in the arse of the departments who are there (and have the budgets) to help children like this. He has a good mainstream school, that his siblings attend, and gets one to one so many hours a week.

He loves having your sole attention, and being away in the fields and woods exploring. With help, he is now mixing with his peers, and good at sharing things. His communication is getting better, and he is learning that he can't through a tantrum when something doesn't go his way.

You can still see the traits, he doesn't like balloons because of the noise, and is funny with food textures, but he is such a loving kid, he's an absolute pleasure to have.

To mention other people. I've only had it once, when we were out for Sunday lunch. Two old dears muttering about the naughty boy. I could see them from my seat, and just tottered over and explained he was autistic, they were apologetic, and two more people educated, so no great drama.

Rain Man is ACE!

P.S. Well done @DaveDaffe , why didn't someone think of it sooner?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Our grandson was/is always special. We initially thought he was deaf, because he wouldn't react when you called him. He would often stare into space, what I always likened to a kid "day dreaming" in my day.

Fortunately, he was diagnosed early, and has had some great help and support, don't be scared of being a pain in the arse of the departments who are there (and have the budgets) to help children like this. He has a good mainstream school, that his siblings attend, and gets one to one so many hours a week.

He loves having your sole attention, and being away in the fields and woods exploring. With help, he is now mixing with his peers, and good at sharing things. His communication is getting better, and he is learning that he can't through a tantrum when something doesn't go his way.

You can still see the traits, he doesn't like balloons because of the noise, and is funny with food textures, but he is such a loving kid, he's an absolute pleasure to have.

To mention other people. I've only had it once, when we were out for Sunday lunch. Two old dears muttering about the naughty boy. I could see them from my seat, and just tottered over and explained he was autistic, they were apologetic, and two more people educated, so no great drama.

Rain Man is ACE!

P.S. Well done @DaveDaffe , why didn't someone think of it sooner?
Hey Charlie4

Many thanks for taking the time to add to this thread. The more we discuss the more we understand.

I have been debating putting this thread on here for a while but I wasnt sure if it would be taken seriously TBH.

I'm wondering if it runs in families. I'm Dyscalculic (numerical dyslexia) and I score quite highly on the ASD tests.
My son is Dyspraxic (clumsy sod), my cousins little boy has Aspergers but his IQ is off the scale.
I wonder if its a genetic thing.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
I like my routine. I have a certain way of doing things and I don't deviate from that.

I have a photographic memory especially for faces and places. I only have to see a face once and I'll recognise it again years down the line. I only have to drive to a place once and I'll know how to get there again without a map or sat nav.
The cops are using that ability in crim fighting, can’t think what it’s called at the moment, but some PCSO, nicked 16 in a day and one he last saw a photo of 2 years ago.

Hey Charlie4

Many thanks for taking the time to add to this thread. The more we discuss the more we understand.

I have been debating putting this thread on here for a while but I wasnt sure if it would be taken seriously TBH.
That's why I have always liked ARRSE.

Happy to take the mick at the right time and place, but need advice or help, a roof over your head, mental health issues, etc etc and it's straight there.

Must admit I WAS concerned about starting it but I am very glad that everyone is treating it with the respect that it deserves and hopefully we can all learn by others experience of ir
I’m sure at some point we’ll work out how to get it down to normal ARRSE standards :)

For example:

**** **** **** you mean this isn’t the *******Tourettes thread?

I'm wondering if it runs in families. I'm Dyscalculic (numerical dyslexia) and I score quite highly on the ASD tests.
My son is Dyspraxic (clumsy sod), my cousins little boy has Aspergers but his IQ is off the scale.
Something I had considered also.

The grandsons father, really beat himself up when Jack was little, as if it was somehow his "fault". I also think my better half is OCD (although not severe).

Having said that, if we are all on the spectrum at some point, then it must be genetic? Stronger in some I suppose?

arfah

LE
It is believed that Autism is most common along the Male bloodline.

4(T)

LE
IIRC its literally down to how the brain is wired up (eg certain regions far more active under test conditions than in regular/average brains), so that would imply a strong genetic link - kids' brains developing using the same genetic blueprint as their parent(s).

AFAIK, there has not been any environmental or nurturing causation found to date (e.g. despite things like the MMR myth).

My young un is dyspraxia and she has the affectionate name of "Wonky Donkey" :)

I am sure the ASD theme comes from my mothers family. My grandfather was dyslexic and obsessive about every things being mega neat and tidy as were both of mums brothers Although not formally diagnosed. As said earlier, my brother was diagnosed with dyslexia aged 48 and his son was diagnosed at high school after much pressure from his parents.

The more I think about it, lots of what has been said in the thread applies to me and a lot of Old Stab’s stuff is very similar to me. Given all the male members of my maternal family seem to have similar mild to moderate traits it wouldnt surprise me if it might be genetically linked.

A very interesting thread @DaveDaffe

NSP

LE
Does anyone have a link to the test?
30 out of 50 for me.

For those wondering about their progeny:-

At the risk of stating the obvious, online tests are all well and good but there's no substitute for a proper diagnosis from a trained clinician.

I have a photographic memory especially for faces and places. I only have to see a face once and I'll recognise it again years down the line. I only have to drive to a place once and I'll know how to get there again without a map or sat nav.
I‘m quite envious. Although I wasn’t bad at getting to places when a sat nav wasn’t around.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
My Son (10) was diagnosed as having Aspergers a couple of years ago. From age 4 to 7 he was just labelled as a naughty boy who would also do surprisingly well in some subjects.
Maths and Sciences he excels in. Can remember huge equations and work out calculations in his head without issue. He also wrote some homework on Lasers which his teacher accused him of copying and pasting from a source but it was all his own work.

Finally at 7 the school got a new SEN coordinator in who recognised his needs and got him a lot of support. He can't write at all for toffee beyond a few words. Forming the patterns with the pen just doesn't happen for him. So the school got him a laptop and now he produces some amazing work, some of which has actually been published in books written by young high performers about the subject matter.

I was worried at first but I myself run a company that makes software, most of my coders are on the spectrum as it makes them excellent at their jobs. Recalling sequences and recognising things out of pattern makes for incredibly efficient coding. They are terrible at social situations and I daren't let clients near them but it's how most of them like it. Pay them a good wage and these guys are the best in the world at what they do. I can't help them much at home but I do what I can, went round one of my guys houses last week and it was a total shit tip - but at work I wouldn't swap him for anyone else as his logical approach to things is second to none.

If my son can get a job like that when he's older then no doubt he'll do very well. I just worry when I see other peoples kids unable to make their own way and end up miserable.

Latest Threads