Let's discuss Autism

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I like my routine. I have a certain way of doing things and I don't deviate from that.
I think this is true of most people, autistic or otherwise. It's only a problem if it gets in the way of day to day living/working.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
I'm eccentric always have been, the army said i was on the spectrum of some fancy worded order, but was still safe to use an SLR. The MoD passed me for DV & SC and said I was normal as far as they were concerned, but under paid.

Labeling someone is easy, getting treatment/help is a completely different thing.

Son diagnosed 13 years ago, now 24, in some ways he's 10. Special schools, PIP, ESA, not able to work.

Daughter diagnosed 5 years ago, now 27, married, just about coping.

Wife diagnosed 4 years ago, Almost 50, registered carer for son. Knowing explains a lot.

Son, diagnosed a few months ago, now 19. Fairly neurotypical, but has his ways and cannot handle deviation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Son diagnosed 13 years ago, now 24, in some ways he's 10. Special schools, PIP, ESA, not able to work.

Daughter diagnosed 5 years ago, now 27, married, just about coping.

Wife diagnosed 4 years ago, Almost 50, registered carer for son. Knowing explains a lot.

Son, diagnosed a few months ago, now 19. Fairly neurotypical, but has his ways and cannot handle deviation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Similar in many way to us:

Son diagnosed when he was 10, now 27 but mental age of 13. Never had a job, is on benefits very socially awkward.

Daughter 11 diagnosed just last year. Sometimes very advanced for her years other times reverts to being a toddler in speech.

Wife 51 not diagnosed but has all the symptoms. Works part time.

My worry is I am now 50 so not getting any younger but I need to be around as long as possible to get those 2 kids through life because they are going to struggle on their own

In Israel from 1989 I worked for five and a half years in a closed unit in a psychiatric hospital housing autistic adults, young an old. The reason they were in hospital in those days was because the older guys were autistic when the term was barely known or recognized, rather it was called infantile schizophrenia - hence they remained in the care of the health ministry. The reason it was a closed unit was because of the issue of violence - self harm and harm to others.
It was a fascinating experience which I could write more about except I'm busy at work right now.

In Israel from 1989 I worked for five and a half years in a closed unit in a psychiatric hospital housing autistic adults, young an old. The reason they were in hospital in those days was because the older guys were autistic when the term was barely known or recognized, rather it was called infantile schizophrenia - hence they remained in the care of the health ministry. The reason it was a closed unit was because of the issue of violence - self harm and harm to others.
It was a fascinating experience which I could write more about except I'm busy at work right now.
When you do have time to write more about it I would definitely be interested to hear about it.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Scored 22, so am I normal, but what is normal & normal for arrse?

Latest Threads