Let's discuss Autism

I did the national Autistic society's online test a few years ago.
Normal people score between 11 & 16. I scored 34.
Unfortunately in Wales, as an adult you cannot get any kind of professional diagnosis on the NHS at all.

Unfortunately in Wales, as an adult you cannot get any kind of professional diagnosis on the NHS at all.
My wife is finding that also. Both kids have autism and she has all the symptoms but do you think we can get an official medical diagnosis??

I saw a video on YouTube some time ago (it has since been deleted) about Autism being the next step in evolution. They were talking about the possibility of us all being autistic in the future as our brains slowly rewired to handle new theories and concepts that we will need to understand but our current brain wiring cannot handle.

Interesting concept that the people who have Autism now might actually be advanced versions of what we are now and it would explain a lot.

I saw a video on YouTube some time ago (it has since been deleted) about Autism being the next step in evolution. They were talking about the possibility of us all being autistic in the future as our brains slowly rewired to handle new theories and concepts that we will need to understand but our current brain wiring cannot handle.

Interesting concept that the people who have Autism now might actually be advanced versions of what we are now and it would explain a lot.
Ahhh, so I'm an "Advanced Human".

You could well be my friend!

What's your Autism "thing"? My daughter is an organizer, son is confusing ;-)
I like my routine. I have a certain way of doing things and I don't deviate from that.

I have a photographic memory especially for faces and places. I only have to see a face once and I'll recognise it again years down the line. I only have to drive to a place once and I'll know how to get there again without a map or sat nav.

I like my routine. I have a certain way of doing things and I don't deviate from that.

I have a photographic memory especially for faces and places. I only have to see a face once and I'll recognise it again years down the line. I only have to drive to a place once and I'll know how to get there again without a map or sat nav.
My daughter is BIG into routines as is my wife, son not so much.

I scored 11 - I guess I'm just brainy rather than autistic....

Chef

LE
I've known a couple of guys who were autistic. One at prep school would suddenly wonder around the school and pop into other lessons. Nobody minded, he was never disruptive and seemed to do all right academically.

One of the Chefettes went out with one, a lovely girl who could hold forth on the Winter War (Russia v Finland) but was seriously upset by some food colours, bread was fine, toast too brown. They didn't like changes in routine either.

However since psychologists seem to feel that everybody is somewhere on the spectrum and getting your kid statemented opens up funding for both the school and the parents I feel that it is becoming the catchall diagnosis for all sorts, consequently debasing the currency which is a shame.

Last edited:
Well I've managed to hold my own for 48 years despite it.
I was hugely ahead of my time in school with reading and languages, I pick up languages really easily. Maths however a 7 year old could slaughter me at maths.

Latest Threads