Lethality?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Iolis, Jun 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if someone can help me here?

I never bothered during my service to find out exactly what was meant by the designated letters attributed to the weapons and ammunition I carried and fired.

For example, my SLR was 'L1A1'. Other munitions and weapons were also designated with an 'L' prefix for example: 'L2A2'

I know it's pretty sad to think about such things but I wonder if the 'L' prefix is a measure of lethality attributable to the weapon or munition in question?

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Regards and best wishes

2. The Army is responsible for the testing and acceptance of small arms for the 3 services, it is given the L for Land Service. The L1A1 was 7.62 rifle, the A1 refering to the model/modifiction standard. Thats the rumour.

I am totally prepared to be wrong!!!!!!

PS I think there is a list of L designations somewhere on Arrse.

3. Bang on mate. And when it was an experimental weapon it had an X prefix. These have on occasion made it the operational title of a weapon or system.

4. There's an incomplete list at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_weapon_L_numbers

5. And if its crap, its prefixed with SA for Sh*t armament!

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

And don't get confused with the other designation for ammunition or fuzes etc, which can use the same numbers but be different items.

for example the wiki list gives L50 as a Sten Gun, L50 is also the new 105mm shell (Shell 105mm FD HE L50A1).

The L stands for land I think as mentioned above, N is naval.

The A is to designate in-service

The 1 is the issue of the design, so small changes may give an upgrade to 2 or 3, but large changes would require a new issue of number.

GF

7. Thanks guys.