Lethal Water Boiler

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bombs_Gone_Skip!!, Jul 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What were the water heaters called that used to drip petrol onto a metal plate at the bottom. I had the job of trying to light the bastards on exercise

2. My was called Whoosh! You Basted.

• Like Like x 4
  3. m67 dustbin

4. Theres no way they are still being used, are they??

5. Thats the one....

6. The water heater or puffing billy, still used today and still a bastard to the young ones. :)

7. Only the cooks used the 'choofers', for the showers we had to grapple with donkey boilers, of a far less advanced design than this;

[​IMG]

The choofer's problem seemed to lie with the highly variable fuel-air mix and consequent explosions. I don't speak from experience, thankfully. I managed to avoid them for the sake of my eyebrows.

8. It was a knack not to let the petrol drip too fast or too slow. I f**king hated them. It was like the film Backdraft..

9. The M67 Portable Immersion Heater, or Puffing Billy as it was known. Best alarm clock in the world - fact.

10. I'm sure I've seen something recently that they've just been made obsolete.

I've recorded a few ignition attempts on my phone in the hope that I'd get a "How not to do it" video, but alas it all went well :crying:

11. You'd have read it on here in one of the other threads about it.

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

american boilers 1 stroke combustion engine and a good way to stop cam cream from getting in your eyebrows.I think they got us used to blue on blue in the gulf as we had been blown up by these damn things for decades.once running they were a smart bit of kit mind.it was the big flakes of black snow after a novice ignition which were the best bit I reckon

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

why wont it recognise my formatting, everything is coming out as one big lump of text?

14. It came out on H13 that they were only to be used in theatre, We tried to backload the ones we had in uk and where told to carry on using them as there was no replacement. No5 cookset is the same.