Lethal Water Boiler

My was called Whoosh! You Basted.

The water heater or puffing billy, still used today and still a bastard to the young ones. :)

M

Mark The Convict

Only the cooks used the 'choofers', for the showers we had to grapple with donkey boilers, of a far less advanced design than this;

The choofer's problem seemed to lie with the highly variable fuel-air mix and consequent explosions. I don't speak from experience, thankfully. I managed to avoid them for the sake of my eyebrows.

I'm sure I've seen something recently that they've just been made obsolete.

I've recorded a few ignition attempts on my phone in the hope that I'd get a "How not to do it" video, but alas it all went well :crying:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
american boilers 1 stroke combustion engine and a good way to stop cam cream from getting in your eyebrows.I think they got us used to blue on blue in the gulf as we had been blown up by these damn things for decades.once running they were a smart bit of kit mind.it was the big flakes of black snow after a novice ignition which were the best bit I reckon

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
why wont it recognise my formatting, everything is coming out as one big lump of text?

I'm sure I've seen something recently that they've just been made obsolete.

I've recorded a few ignition attempts on my phone in the hope that I'd get a "How not to do it" video, but alas it all went well :crying:
It came out on H13 that they were only to be used in theatre, We tried to backload the ones we had in uk and where told to carry on using them as there was no replacement. No5 cookset is the same.

I thought they were called "American Burners". Orrible things when as a sprog you always get dicked to light it! However you only get blown up once due to some sweat thinking it funny to let the tap drip all night. Having said that to be fair seeing blackened face minus eyebrows is ******* funny and a great way to get stand to started.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
nope for some reason I set it all out but its missing out the returns and line spacing. strange.

Interesting they only allow them in theatre, makes sense though as its good way to battle harden troops. being 10 feet from a sweaty button clutching suicide bomber has nothing on standing next to one of those holding a box of matches.

lit one using a pen flare once though - that worked :)