Lethal splinter distance

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by quix, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know the lethal splinter distance for the L118? And safety distances? Thanks

2. I know.

But I'm not going to tell you.

If you need to know why not speak to your nearest RA unit or phone up the RSA. All the info should be in aide memoirs and available to your unit anyway. Have you asked your Regimental Training Officer?

Hopefully no-one here will be stupid enough to give you the information you require. Considering the weapon system you are asking about is currently in use on operations.

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Point 1 - probably not the sort of info that should banded around on the interweb.

Point 2 - do you really mean the L118? or are you talking about the ammunition used with it? because last time I looked the Light Gun was pretty safe until you added charge and shell.....short of dropping it on your foot, or banging your head on the muzzle brake (no comments please it still hurts)

Point 3 - if you do mean the ammunition and someone felt the urge to risk being ripped to shreds for posting the data on the forum, then an idea of which shell type, fuze type/setting, target type would be useful otherwise it's a lot of variables to play with.

S_R

p.s. Am I being a bit too sarcastic or was it just enough?

4. Yeah fair. I'm a mong. Ignore me :)

5. why dont you ask one of the FOOs in your regiment? ;)

6. msr

msr LE

7. splinters, they are nearly as nasty as paper cuts

8. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

For technical issues SCATMIN is still a viable ammunition type, however the bomblet has gone.

9. Everyone except an unfortunate FOO in Canada, 1991. First time I've ever seen someones webbing on fire.........................whilst they were wearing it. Still he'll never have a problem with constipation again.

10. Dear Lord ...... I could actually still read your FM .... and I'm ex Infantry for the last 19 years !!!! Amazing what sticks!

Thanks for proving I do still have a working brain cell or 2!!

:clap:

11. Nothing classified about any of this - typical ARRSE over-reaction.

LSD = 40m
    SSD (PD) = 250m
    SSD (Prox) = 400m

Widely available all over the tinternet.

lrn2google.

12. lolol - brilliant.

13. I suppose only really useful to the enemy if they know where the Shell is going to function.