Let them eat cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ABrighter2006, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It' a long story, but on the subject of cakes...

What's your favourite?

Do you use any special ingredients?

Any top tips?

Which celebrity chefs have the best cake recipes - does Delia cut it with the Victoria Sponge?

---

(...and yes, I know this is one of the most obscure threads that I have ever started - guess who got spammed with the subject for a presentation theme)!

:)

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

My favourite is my Dad's 'Chocolate Celebration Cake'. It's yummy, and I use the recipe which is in his handwriting.

A top tip, which I learned from this recipe, is that a drop of vanilla (the real stuff) brings out the flavour of chocolate beautifully.

I don't do celebrity chefs, sorry.

3. Slightly modified version of a recipe I found on t'internet, I give you:

Banana and chocolate raisin cake

4oz butter or margarine
    6oz sugar
    8oz self raising flour
    2 eggs
    2 large or 3 medium, very ripe bananas
    vanilla essence
    chocolate raisins

Heat the oven to gas mark 4; 180C
    Grease a 2lb loaf tin.
    Mash the bananas with a sturdy fork.
    Cream the butter and sugar together and mix in the eggs
    Mix together the two yellow sludges you now have.
    Mix in the flour then add a cupful of chocolate raisins and a drop of vanilla essence.
    Scrape into the loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes then lower the temperature to gas mark 2; 150C and cook for a further 30 minutes.

4. This one generally hits the spot:

Attached Files:

5. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

[align=center]Most fav is 'Prinzregententorte'.
    Takes about 6 hours to prepare it, but you won't get any better than that. :D
    (Btw Germans are cake-crazy, so we don't mind spending ten times as much preparing than eating. :lol: )

[​IMG][/align]

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Found the recipe now, and in five 'tea-break' minutes, here it is.

7 oz Plain flour
    1 oz cocoa
    4 oz Margarine
    8 oz Golden Syrup
    half level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 level teaspoon baking powder
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 eggs beaten with 4 tablespoons milk and half teaspoon vanilla essence

Put fat, sugar and syrup into a pan and stir over gentle heat until the fat has melted. Take off the heat and cool it until tepid. Stir in beaten egg and milk mixture.

Sift remaining ingredients into a bowl, pour in egg and syrup mixture and beat quickly until smooth. (His recipe says with a wooden spoon; I use a Kenwood Chef; any food mixer will do!)

Pour into a deep round cake tin 7" diameter, greased and lined at the bottom with greaseproof paper (baking parchment is a better product, invented since he wrote this down).

Bake in the centre of a very moderate oven 350-360 degrees F or Gas mark 4 until firm (1-1 and a quarter hours).

Cool on a rack. When cold split twice to form three layers. Sandwich with chocolate butter cream. Ice with chocolate or coffee fudge icing.

Chocolate fudge icing ingredients:

4 oz icing sugar
    1 level teaspoon Golden Syrup
    1.5 oz margarine or butter cut up
    1 oz cocoa
    1.5 tablespoons milk
    half tablespoon vanilla essence

Coffee fudge icing ingredients:

7 oz icing sugar
    1.5 oz margarine or butter cut up
    2 tsps coffee essence
    1 level teaspoon Golden Syrup
    1.5 tablespoons milk

Method for both:

Sift the icing sugar (or icing sugar and cocoa) into a bowl. Put remaining ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until fat is JUST melted and mixture almost boiling. Pour at once into the sieved sugar and stir with wooden spoon until smooth.

7. Not even for the NAAFI, G_R?

Your legion of fans will be upset! :evil:

Lits

8. Lemon drizzle cake is lovely.

No recipe because everything is in boxes and I can't even find me!

Litotes

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Cheeky!

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Well, as I have the book out, here's one I nicked from the Radio Times years ago and is very reliable:

Moist Lemon Cake

For the cake:
    175g / 6oz caster sugar
    175g / 6oz Self Raising Flour
    175g / 6oz softened butter, marge or light-stuff for dieters
    1 level teaspoon baking powder
    3 medium eggs
    finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
    75ml/2.5 fluid oz milk

To finish:
    3tbsps granulated sugar, plus a little extra
    juice of the lemon, plus a few curls of the zest

Preheat oven to 180c 350f or gas mark 4. Aga use the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven and the cold plain shelf on the middle runners, or the baking oven if you have one.

Line the base of a 7-8" cake tim with non-stick parchment, and grease the sides. I use a spring clip tin for easy release (oo-err)

Put all the ingredients for the cake into a food processor or mixer and process until smooth and evenly mixed, to produce a fairly runny batter.

Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre emerges clean.

Let the cake stand for five minutes, then turn out onto a plate. With a fine skewer pierce 12 or so holes in the cake.

While the cake is in the oven, make the lemon syrup by stirring the three tablespoons of sugar into the lemon juice until dissolved completely. Pour this syrup over the cake once it his been pierced.

Sprinkle the top with a thin, even layer of granulated sugar and finish with the lemon zest curls.

Yum. And not much washing up!

11. Huge thanks one and all. The talents of ARRSEr's never cease to amaze me.

Appreciate the photos as well - assuming no copyright infringement, will make good use of the posts here (and I know that I am going to have to end up making one or two of the suggestions as well). :)

mistersoft - just how old were you on that Birthday? :D