Let Apple track you or youre barred from iTunes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Jun 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was contemplating putting this into computers section, but when taken into account with Googles accidental hoovering of wifi data it seems more apt in here.

According to this LA Times tech blog Apple is now asking users to give them access to your GPS location which they plan to link into their new ad system. General idea seems to be to look at where you are and send you ad relevant to stores in that area including promotions. As much as they say the data is anonymous it still shares the data with third parties and, most importantly, if you dont let them have it they wont let you access iTunes.

So it raises the scary question of just how much data private companies, especially ones with such access to our day to day lives, hold on us and what safe guards are in place. I highlighted on here the issue of 192.com publishing National Record Office records with limited protection for the public. But the Google WiFi issue was on a larger more public scale to make government and the average public take note. Can governments enforce better standards with an emphasis on the individuals rights, or will it be a user outcry to force self regulation?

2. The way I see it, the cnuts are going to be sending me ads anyway. They might as well be ads I might find useful.

3. Don't use itunes is the simple answer.

Works for me.

4. I don't use any Apple shite, it's well known they give you computer Aids.

5. The only Apple i like is in a bottle called "Green Goblin"..

6. People will only do what others will let them. If you acquiesce to their wishes then you give tacit approval to their right to make the move in the first place.

7. Hmm badly put my point across, sorry. I dont have a problem with the location data being collecting in that i cant see Apple using to malicious ends. As you say there are plenty of great uses for the data beyond just Apple. What i dont agree with is the idea of them barring people from iTunes who do not agree with them doing so. Yes there are ways around it but the principle still stands. Also what use might third parties find for the data? At present it is only available to trusted partners, but what about in future? Information is cheap, easy to get and easier to share and at present very little being done to keep it i check.

8. Having recently spent several hundred quid on an iPhone, I feel somewhat cheated to find that I can't use it properly without my location being tracked, recorded and shared with third parties.

Though I can't fault the business model; for such a trendy, green and 'indie' brand, it's hardly ethical.

9. A good choice is not to buy anything made by Apple.

10. That and a willingness to freeze-out any third parties who are not 'approved' by the mighty apple, oh and short specing to keep out the competition - no USBs on Ipads because it's too difficult - Are we expected to believe that?

11. I have never met someone stupid enough to buy an Iphone.

12. Hello Mr Jobs.Obligatory.

13. If you don't like it, don't buy it. No one's made it compulsory yet...

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Missus is getting me the new Gen4 phone next week - me Father's Day prezzie. I've always liked Apple products and ingenuity, and so long as they avoid Google-style tactics, I'll keep getting their goods.

15. You're married to your daughter, how very Norfolk.