Lessons from Helmand are honing skills of Army’s top shots

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Up-to-the-minute lessons being brought back from southern Afghanistan’s front lines are redefining marksmanship within the Army; changes brought into sharp focus during the 2010 Central Skill-at-Arms Meeting.

For sharp-eyed marksmen serving in Britain's Armed Forces there is no greater proving ground than the ranges at Bisley and neighbouring Pirbright.

The Surrey facilities have hosted generations of soldiers keen to show off their shooting prowess by dropping to their belt buckles and patiently delivering ultra-accurate shots into targets hundreds of metres away.

Read the full story here

2. If you don't mind me asking, why go to your site when you can just go to the MOD News site and read the exact same story?

3. The aim of Helmand Blog is to provide a central resource, combining stories from across the internet into one place, as well featuring original articles too. By linking to stories on here it alerts people who might not visit the MOD News site to the stories, but also exposes them to the many other stories that we have, not to mention links to images on Flickr, videos on YouTube and links to other sites which people might find of interest.

By all means navigate straight to the MOD site, all we're trying to do is make as many people aware of these stories as possible.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I think this linking of news items is a very good idea indeed. There are plenty of people who visit this site who would never dream of going to the MOD site, even though it has some interesting Blogs and similar.

Of course, I'd like to think that somewhere on the MOD internet site there could be a reciprocal link to ARRSE......

5. I can think of one VERY good reason why the PR bods might be a bit reticent about that idea:

[​IMG]

For most MoD dog and pony shows you do your best to hide the deviants. On Arrse, they have pride of place.

6. Ha! MDN resembles that remark!

7. This is a first step, the kind of story that might make it into the The Mail as long as there is a coherent plot, good pictures and preferably Special Forces involvement.

Hopefully positive stories will roll out which would make it into the Guardian.

Just a thought, draw your own conclusions.

B

Edited to add, Here is another way of introducing a message:

Afghanistan stoning: Young lovers killed in a field - latimes.com

8. I don't like it. I like the old style Para Cup; the Roupell Cup (I reckon I can still remember practise 4), and all the other shoots I can't remember the names of. It takes time to remember all the different practises, so it isn't really fair to be changing them all.

Crikey; it's a shooting competition; somewhere where you go to escape the wife and the brats, to drink your weight in lager in Aldershot pubs; it's not meant to be propa training is it!